Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the fence on which intercooler to get. I've looked at a few TMICs and like the easy install and seems they have decent gains, but then there is the FMIC. Which I haven't really looked at much mainly because of the price difference. Although, I will be getting my bonus in the next couple of weeks so I can't decide if the $$ difference is worth getting the FMIC or just getting the TMIC and some other little thing..... I currently have the MSCAI, MSCBE, turbo inlet and shifter bushings. If I go the TMIC i was thinking of STS and a BOV (not sure which one yet) If anyone has any opinions or feedback on the pros and cons of the two any help in making up my mind would help.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Nymisus

It depends on what your current needs are...are you a hardcore track racer? What about hitting top notch dyno #? If you are looking at these, an FMIC would meet those needs

Anything else, then a TMIC would suffice...

I currently have an ETS TMIC....it's great performance for the price...ease of installation as well...I honestly could careless about a FMIC because I am not a hardcore drag racer or track racer....I am willing to take the 20-25whp loss if my car sits in the pits for too long....its because I'm not looking to hit world record numbers...I just want to impress myself and not others

With that said, I say go with ETS or Street Unit TMIC...it will suffice for 75% of the MS3 crowd....there are few out there that cannot stand heat soak and are not willing to lose that hp if they sit in the pits for too long...thats why a FMIC exist

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
^ Agree. If you are going for big numbers ultimately, I'd say go ahead and get the fmic. If you are looking for a nice gain, easy install and money left over to get a few other things, get the tmic.

·
Registered
741 Posts
[quote author=steven88 link=topic=137685.msg2968286#msg2968286 date=1235894464]
Nymisus

It depends on what your current needs are...are you a hardcore track racer? What about hitting top notch dyno #? If you are looking at these, an FMIC would meet those needs

I currently have an ETS TMIC....it's great performance for the price...ease of installation as well...I honestly could careless about a FMIC because I am not a hardcore drag racer or track racer....I am willing to take the 20-25whp loss if my car sits in the pits for too long....its because I'm not looking to hit world record numbers...I just want to impress myself and not others

With that said, I say go with ETS or Street Unit TMIC...it will suffice for 75% of the MS3 crowd....there are few out there that cannot stand heat soak and are not willing to lose that hp if they sit in the pits for too long...thats why a FMIC exist
[/quote]

It depends on where you live. A TMIC would not do a dam thing in AZ. When the air temperature is 119F and your in rush hour traffic with the AC on, you might as well push the car down the road because at that point it's hardly functional.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I chose the SU TMIC for a many reasons. Steath, 30-min install, saved me money, and I don't go to the drag strip or worry about being fast in traffic. On the backroads, it should perform about the same.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
[quote author=redrocket link=topic=137685.msg2968603#msg2968603 date=1235927250]
Nymisus

[/quote]

It depends on where you live. A TMIC would not do a dam thing in AZ. When the air temperature is 119F and your in rush hour traffic with the AC on, you might as well push the car down the road because at that point it's hardly functional.
[/quote]

I disagree...a TMIC WILL remove the huge restriction by the stock TMIC....you will feel the gains

As far as heat soak...well that depends on each individual....I for one could careless about the power...why would you want to go fast in stop and go traffic anyway?

·
Registered
268 Posts
So a TMIC really isnt that bad unless its heat soaked? I live in so cal so I dont think that will be a problem for me. Someone wrote a thread about getting the streetunit tmic and they had problems with knocking and I think he mad to get a cobb ap to fix it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
[quote author=steven88 link=topic=137685.msg2968897#msg2968897 date=1235936497]
[quote author=redrocket link=topic=137685.msg2968603#msg2968603 date=1235927250]
Nymisus

[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree...a TMIC WILL remove the huge restriction by the stock TMIC....you will feel the gains

As far as heat soak...well that depends on each individual....I for one could careless about the power...why would you want to go fast in stop and go traffic anyway?
[/quote]

It's not that I am trying to race in traffic, it literally makes the car a bitch to drive. Its terrible in the summer and the FMIC solves all the problems.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
you get major sexy factor when u get a FMIC.

People know your legit when u got a big ol' fmic hangin down :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts