Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
why not hte kappas that are already tried and trued? or are these better? or cheaper...?

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
anything decent is prolly going to be a big improvement over the stock drivers, as long as the new ones don't require a lot of power.

the stockers are obvious pretty low cost, although there's something to be said for some lightwieght junk and certain frequencies in the midranges. meaning they can produce a lot of sound for what they are, although not necessarily with outstanding clarity or accuracy. still, in a car as loud as my hatch, i'm not expecting perfection, just good tunes and loud if i want it.

it's nice to be able to play the stereo loud when tailgating, so you can play catch from far away and still hear it. :D but i don't try to impress people when driving.

i had awesome all alpine systems, with custom enclosures i built myself, and Fujitsu ten drivers, back in the early 80's before it became a professional thing. having all that personal work stolen more than once tends to take the edge off the need to be impressively loud. plus it's not good for your hearin.

i can't decide between a stealthy improvement or a removable sub/amp combo, so I don't lose any space.

as big as the hatch is, i must admit it's a struggle to fit some of my friends golf clubs. meaning the limit is 2-3 passengers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just installed some CDT 61A's with the upgraded TW-24 tweeters. My thread on it is here:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=70605.0

I haven't heard the KAPPA's but based soley on freq response charts I would go with the CDT 61a's without a second thought. The CDT drivers are very flat down to 80hz while the Kappa's have a steep dive that starts at 100hz. The CDT's are also cheaper. Here's the package I bought from woofersetc.com:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4418

1 - 5 of 5 Posts