Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking over a whole bunch of forums, I've found that a lot of US people have been able to haggle for "200 dollars over invoice, 300 over invoice, 600 over invoice", etc...

But Canadians, we seem to get just a little under MSRP at the most. Atleast that's what I get from what I've heard about out here in BC.

Is my assumption wrong? I really want to know if it is possible to haggle for new cars in Canada to get close to invoice and not just lower the dealer to MSRP?

Please correct me if it's true!! I wanna get a good price :D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
codegirl said:
let's see... according to CarCost my car's dealer cost was $20,234 and I paid $20,972.65 for a difference of.....

And that's in canadian dollars
Sounds like a Sedan GT or a Sport?

·
Registered
238 Posts
wow........we have the exact same car

mine's also M3 Sedan GS A/C PP and Indigo Blue

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
codegirl said:
as my signature says, it was a GS with a/c and p/p
sorry, missed that in the reply box :oops:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a deal @ invoice but you CAN get a REALLY good deal if you do your home work first.

I just bought mine today for less than $5oo over invoice... :)

Use the internet to your advantage (ewheels.ca or cars4u.ca) take the quote and go to a couple of dealers. Be firm but polite but make sure you know what you want first otherwise you might settle for something else you might not be prepared for. Remember, if you educate yourself first, have an idea of costs when you go in then you can get the deal you want.

Also, it pays to talk to the sales manager or fleet manager directly.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ExRAV4owner said:
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a deal @ invoice but you CAN get a REALLY good deal if you do your home work first.

Use the internet to your advantage (ewheels.ca or cars4u.ca) take the quote and go to a couple of dealers. Be firm but polite but make sure you know what you want first otherwise you might settle for something else you might not be prepared for. Remember, if you educate yourself first, have an idea of costs when you go in then you can get the deal you want.

I'll keep that in mind when I go shopping :) thanks for the tip! this internet stuff should make for some good ammo when negotiating, eh?
What kind of other homework should be done, btw?
Also, what does 500 over invoice come out to? about 500 less than MSRP?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I got my GT w/ GFX at invoice after rebate. :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought a gs sedan with a/c and auto for 400 over invoice back in december, also got a 600 new grad rebate on top of that, but no xbox :( .

·
Registered
22 Posts
I promised the dealer I wouldn't tell what I paid :), I still haven't taken delivery yet so I don't want to mess with things in case they are reading.

Let's just say that ken and I are in the same ballpark ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
dugrant153 said:
ExRAV4owner said:

I'll keep that in mind when I go shopping :) thanks for the tip! this internet stuff should make for some good ammo when negotiating, eh?
What kind of other homework should be done, btw?
Also, what does 500 over invoice come out to? about 500 less than MSRP?
I bought my last 3 cars (including my 3) after researching invoice costs and options over the internet. I found it difficult to get the info I needed in Canada but the Edmunds.com site int he US is really helpful and the invoice costs if you figure out the margins are the same if in Canada if you work down from MSRP. I was fortunate enough that the dealer showed me invoice costs so I know I did my home work and math correctly!

Once armed with the info and what you want you can have a good dealer experience. I ended up getting a couple of internet quotes first then going to 2 dealers. The first was local to me (didn't want to rule them out) but the experience was the usual song and dance routine. The second got my business after 2 factors:

1. They were the only ones to respond to an email I sent out to 6 or so dealers asking for a quote.
2. They took me seriously, were straight forward and did the deal like I wanted it done.

This was the best car shopping experience I have ever had, mainly because I went in on my own terms, I was informed and a dealer called ME to make the deal happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts