Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a local automotive call-in show last night where they were talking about insurance and auto repairs. There was a caller who called in complaining about the price of a replacement headlight unit on a 98 (I think) GMC Envoy. He had to replace the whole driver's side headlight unit and it cost him $2200! He wanted to know if he could have regular halogen headlights installed, the technician said no he couldn't. Of course, being a safety issue he had to have this repair done.

I guess I don't feel so jealous now.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Damn rite!

I hate them (HIDs) - way too much $$$, blind everyone and don't provide that much more light. Cost/benefit ratio is not too good IMO.

Were you watching CP24? Some of the people that call in are too funny - asking about POS transportation instead of fun to drive cars. If they only appreciated driving fun.

I can't watch the show anymore - it upsets me to see everyone wanting a Corolla and only asking about reliability, nothing but A->B, they don't even care about the brakes, steering, interior, etc.

OK I'm done now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Everyone who has HIDs loves it. People who doesn't have it either say they hate it, or try to buy light bulbs to emmulate it. The "blinding other drivers" issue is a non issue for me because I think those raised F150s are doing much more damage to other drivers than I ever will. Manufactures design the beam pattern in such a way that it does not blind on coming traffic. Cost/benefit ratio? Its like saying why does the rich guy drive a Ferrari instead of a Corolla? Because he can! Its a luxury item. People who buy cars with HIDs usually doesn't complain about how much they cost to replace. It is only now that the people with lower income are starting to get this option that we get these kind of conversations.

Me? I think HIDs are great, every car that my family owns are equipped with Xenons, even my brother's Integra TypeR (he has the JDM conversion). Once you go Xenon, you'll never go back!

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
It's not the beam pattern, it's the harshness of the beam termination that's the problem.

Personally, I just don't get the point... if you're in an area where you need more light, that means there's no one else around, so just use your high beams.

·
Registered
168 Posts
n1smo said:
Everyone who has HIDs loves it. People who doesn't have it either say they hate it, or try to buy light bulbs to emmulate it. The "blinding other drivers" issue is a non issue for me because I think those raised F150s are doing much more damage to other drivers than I ever will. Manufactures design the beam pattern in such a way that it does not blind on coming traffic. Cost/benefit ratio? Its like saying why does the rich guy drive a Ferrari instead of a Corolla? Because he can! Its a luxury item. People who buy cars with HIDs usually doesn't complain about how much they cost to replace. It is only now that the people with lower income are starting to get this option that we get these kind of conversations.

Me? I think HIDs are great, every car that my family owns are equipped with Xenons, even my brother's Integra TypeR (he has the JDM conversion). Once you go Xenon, you'll never go back!
I agree with n1smo 100%. I've had halogens in the past and now I have HIDs...and yes, I'll never go back to halogens :twisted: . Like n1smo said, I think all the freaking SUV and high profile trucks and their out of whack lights do more damage to other drivers than most HIDs. For the sake of argument, for those who say that HIDs are blinding...they are only blinding for a few seconds due to an incline or a bump in the road, where as if you have a SUV, high profile truck, or those who try to emulate HIDs by using those unconventional bulbs :roll: will constantly blind you if they are following you or coming in an opposite direction.

My point is I don't think HIDs are bad in any way...just an enhancement that you pay for. If it wasn't a great option, then why do others try to mimic the effects of the HID system by getting retrofits (with the exception for those who want them, but it's not offered in their car), or those extreme white, blue, purple, whatever :roll: bulbs with a beam pattern that just shoots everywhere. There's nothing wrong with admitting that you like the HIDs, but please don't put them down because you couldn't afford them as an option :D . And for those who don't have an option because their not available for your car, I would like to commend you on your efforts of trying to get retrofits :wink: .

Yes, the Xenon HIDs are expensive...but as n1smo stated...they are a luxury item. If you can afford them, the it comes with the territory of fixing it when it breaks...regardless of the cost. No one ever said that buying something nice didn't have any strings attached...everything does.

Spencer

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think most people buy them for the "cool" aspect of them, I know I did. But, a lot of people don't realize that they are supposed to last a lot longer too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
HID's rule! just don't get aftermarket kits unless they're DOT/SAE legal. it's those kits that give them the bad name.. they're misaligned so blind people.. that's why they're illegal now. i agree.. those trucks/SUV's do much more damage even with halogens.. but try to tell a truck owner to stop driving a truck.. you'll probably end up hitched to his front grill.. if it's that much of a problem, just get tint or a dimming mirror.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I would have loved having HIDs in my MZ3 but after finding out how much it cost one person to replace a damaged unit, I've changed my tune.

Yeah, that was CP24 I was watching. I'm glad to hear that Mohammed and that fellow from Glenalan Motors both agreed that the Proteges are good cars.

·
Registered
947 Posts
A 17K car doesn't need Xenon lights, but the dealer didn't have a car equipped the way I want without Xenon lights... plus they practically gave it to me for free... and plus it comes with the TPMS...

Anyway, now that I have them, they are brighter, casts a wider beam on the ground, and I can genuinely see better. I set them to 1, which I think is not high enough to blind most drivers.

Ya, there is a coolness factor to it. But I find myself sometimes wondering if other drivers think I riced out my car by installing "HID" bulbs or an aftermarket HID system since it can't be possible that a compact car from Mazda has them, right?

·
Registered
168 Posts
LeeLee said:
A 17K car doesn't need Xenon lights, but the dealer didn't have a car equipped the way I want without Xenon lights... plus they practically gave it to me for free... and plus it comes with the TPMS...

Anyway, now that I have them, they are brighter, casts a wider beam on the ground, and I can genuinely see better. I set them to 1, which I think is not high enough to blind most drivers.

Ya, there is a coolness factor to it. But I find myself sometimes wondering if other drivers think I riced out my car by installing "HID" bulbs or an aftermarket HID system since it can't be possible that a compact car from Mazda has them, right?
Hey LeeLee,

Regardless of the price factor, I still think that the Mazda 3 offering HIDs as an option is great. I think more cars are beginning to steer that way, so the car's value price shouldn't play a factor as to the Mazda 3 having them or not. HIDs are serve as a safety/functionality factor, not cosmetic. The reason I got them is because of the rural area that I live in. At the foothills of Lake Tahoe, there's not much light to guide you through the night. So, having nice bright lights is a plus. But if I lived in a metropolitan area, then I can go either way...with or without. Since I have them now...I'll never go back :D .

And, you know what...who cares if others an't believe that your car can have HIDs, or if you rice out. They're just jealous of us Mazda 3 owners :twisted: .

Spencer

·
Registered
327 Posts
overkast said:
LeeLee said:

Hey LeeLee,

Regardless of the price factor, I still think that the Mazda 3 offering HIDs as an option is great. I think more cars are beginning to steer that way, so the car's value price shouldn't play a factor as to the Mazda 3 having them or not. HIDs are serve as a safety/functionality factor, not cosmetic. The reason I got them is because of the rural area that I live in. At the foothills of Lake Tahoe, there's not much light to guide you through the night. So, having nice bright lights is a plus. But if I lived in a metropolitan area, then I can go either way...with or without. Since I have them now...I'll never go back :D .

And, you know what...who cares if others an't believe that your car can have HIDs, or if you rice out. They're just jealous of us Mazda 3 owners :twisted: .

Spencer
Thank you my fellow HID lovers Overkast and n1somo and LeeLee. HID's rule, and there is a much greater advantage to them than Halogens. My family all have HID cars except me, when I get my Mazda3, I will def. get HID that's what I was looking forward to, this was the car I was waiting for, HID and a nav. system. In my opinion the MAzda3 is a luxury car for a great price. I commend all those who love them. HID's really don't blind people for some reason everyone says it does. I wish ppl would know the real cars that blind them. Those with those fake blue bulbs, and raised trucks with halogens. HID's do not blind oncoming traffic. And maybe some retrofits.

·
Registered
98 Posts
well i can solve one of your problems. we all agree that these HIDs last a long time and to replace is expensive. well, why not just replace with the regular halogen lights. this way you get the best of both worlds and probably save some money!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I think there is a BIG difference though between each of the following:

1. Halogen
2. Factory Installed HID
3. After-Market Installed HID
4. After-Market "Cool Blue" Halogen lamps

Honestly, I'm happy with my halogens, especially since the mz3 still uses a projector to cast the halogen to the road. The aim is nice (for me at least), and I don't blind the people in front of me. This "should" be the same for #2, factory installed HID.

All of the grips about are mostly referred to as #3, aftermarket (i.e. improper) HID installations, usually with hardware NEVER intended to fit or be put on the car. This is usually where blinding occurs. Think about it, these came from European cars, where they (legally) drive much faster than us. Why would they design a car to blind oncoming traffic?

Now, #4. This is also where I fit, and only because I think there is a difference between Cool Blue and HID. While a similar result is desired, I find that the cool blue casts a more effective and easier on the eyes (as a driver) beam of light.

Once Hoen completes the design, I'll probably get a set of blues from them. Because of the projector housing in the mz3, it should do just fine.

But I think that there is a HUGE difference between the two, and certainly between a proper factory install, and a redneck install (I can say that, I grew up in Georgia).

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
well, why not just replace with the regular halogen lights. this way you get the best of both worlds and probably save some money!
Um ... you can't just plug halogen bulbs back into a HID setup ;)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
LOL, I'm with Fobby. Anyone got a mp3 deck hanging around too?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Nah, I just want the mp3 and md decks...

Anyone know if the MD deck will spew the text across the display also?

Actually, MP3 might kill me - most of my music is in wm9 format!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
On the subject of the "hello" in the deck:

I was watching MTV this morning (True Life) and the main guy drives a Cadillac CTS, and his text on his deck says *Tommy*.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts