Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...i drove 180 miles down to fresno for autocross class....very warm weather.....class was in 5 different courses.....i finish 3 of them no problem wat so ever.....the 4th course where we have to constantly rev to redline till the fuel cut off staying in 1st gear....did 3 2-3 mins sessions.....park my car and about 15 mins later.....my car die!!!! i tried to start her up....and u can hear the engine getting start....then it die....try again...same thing happened....someone from my group ask me to give it some gas after i start....no response at all steppin on the gas......i was like omg.....wtf....i kill my car at autocross.....it was pretty embrassing...people are like man...brand new car still have the new car smell broke down....i check the fuse for the fuel pump.....still good.....then one instructor suggest i reset the ecu......and after we did that....car start again....like back from the dead.....there was no cel......i drove all the way home without an issue....can someone please tell me what happened? is it something to be alarm about? or just happened the ecu overload??? or something else play in this factor....i carelessly shut off my car 3-4 times after high rev for a few mins.....someone please tell me....!?

other question....how much damage u are doing to the turbo when u dont cool it off for 30 secords or so after high rev.....

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
maybe you hit the fuel cut so much that the car decided to cut it for good. Holding redline in 1st gear is definately not good for your car and i would let it idle for more than 30 secs after the type of driving you described because if you shut the car off while the turbo is smoking hot, you are going to cook the oil inside the turbo and severly shorten the life of the turbo itself. Think of what grease or butter looks like when you burn it in a pan and imagine that in your turbo. At least the car started again. How is this car for autox?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car did amazingly great....the instructor i have was national champ in her class...MR2 n/a.......she was suprise how the car feel....and suprise how i drove in my secord time at the autocross... :chuckles:....ditch the stock tires.....they are useless at autocross....i got me some falken RT615...they are great!!!....i think with some tunning on the shocks and aligment.....this car can compete with the best there is in the D stock class.... 8)

so after what i did....is my turbo life have shorten??? does that mean a turbo upgrade???? :klavergreg:

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, where are you from. I live about an hour and twenty minutes north of Fresno and havn't found any 3 enthuisiasts around here so I am just wondering...
And I wouldn't mind a ride in a Mazdaspeed3 8)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
i don't think you shortened the life of your turbo from the couple of times you did this, I would make a habit of cooling the turbo down. i keep a stop watch in the car and have it set for a minute for when i run the car hard, otherwise i might forget to cool it down.

·
Registered
397 Posts
After every drive. I unplug my IPOD, unhook the phone charger, turn the radio off, turn off the climate control and before you know it at least 30 seconds went by. Then i turn off the car.

If you only shut off the engine early a few times its no big deal and like dread said I wouldn't make it a habit. However whatever you do don't tell your Mazda Service person what you did.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
definately don't tell mazda, I have heard they are voiding waranties on the speed 6 because the computer read fuel cuts.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
autocrossers with turbo cars usually let the car idle for a good 3-5 minutes if not longer after hard runs. just like a cool down lap in road racing, after a hard session beating up the cones, you need to let the engine cool down a bit.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will definately will sit my car longer before i shut off....but u know waiting in line and you have to move ur car one spot at a time....i guess from now on i will push my car like everybody else.... :?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Re: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO MY MS3 AT AUTOCROSS CLASS TODAY!

BTW, do NOT leave the ebrake on if u just got done with a hot lap. I'd let the brake rotor cool down a bit before doing so.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=69786.msg1214716#msg1214716 date=1171778914]
i will definately will sit my car longer before i shut off....but u know waiting in line and you have to move ur car one spot at a time....i guess from now on i will push my car like everybody else.... :?
[/quote]
its not a big deal to shut off the car after pulling forwards a spot or so..
the issue is shutting it off quickly after driving hard.
and keep the poor car off of the redline...

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=69786.msg1214716#msg1214716 date=1171778914]
[/quote]

Helps if you open the hood too. After some hard runs like that, the intercooler will be very heatsoaked. Open her up and give her some fresh air. She will thank you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
[quote author=kyasa link=topic=69786.msg1214516#msg1214516 date=1171767730]
If you don't mind me asking, where are you from. I live about an hour and twenty minutes north of Fresno and havn't found any 3 enthuisiasts around here so I am just wondering...
[/quote]

Was wondering the same thing.. for a different reason. No offense, but you seem to type in some sort of accent? :dance: Once again, I really mean no harm, English might not be your primary language. :)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=69786.msg1214600#msg1214600 date=1171772304]
autocrossers with turbo cars usually let the car idle for a good 3-5 minutes if not longer after hard runs. just like a cool down lap in road racing, after a hard session beating up the cones, you need to let the engine cool down a bit.
[/quote]

you can always get a turbo timer if you're worried about it... the reason it is bad is that if the turbo is still really hot it will cake the oil inside the turbo into debris and sandblast your engine the next time you run it shortening the turbo/engine life... running for a few min lets the oil cool the turbo down to a good temp

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO MY MS3 AT AUTOCROSS CLASS TODAY!

[quote author=Unoriginalusername link=topic=69786.msg1221411#msg1221411 date=1172084197]
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=69786.msg1214600#msg1214600 date=1171772304]
[/quote]

you can always get a turbo timer if you're worried about it... the reason it is bad is that if the turbo is still really hot it will cake the oil inside the turbo into debris and sandblast your engine the next time you run it shortening the turbo/engine life... running for a few min lets the oil cool the turbo down to a good temp
[/quote]

Thank you - I cannot believe how few people on this board seem to have no idea what a turbo timer is. Less than $100, people!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't know anything about a turbo timer seeing as the ms3 will be my first timer. However, there seems to be a mention of a turbo timer in almost every post

·
Registered
335 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=69786.msg1214460#msg1214460 date=1171763980]
....the 4th course where we have to constantly rev to redline till the fuel cut off staying in 1st gear....did 3 2-3 mins sessions
[/quote]

Ummm, what skill is this meant to teach?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts

^^ yeah im lost, if youre anywhere near redline in first, you should be in 2nd, scooting around in the powerband

better for you, better for the car

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i could shift to 2nd...but the turn is right after.....it suppose to tech u about braking.....its a oval shape course... with turn turns.....floor it...and brake hard and turn at the same time.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts