Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a MZ3 sport GT sometime this year, but I read a review on msn.com, saying that GT doesn't handle winter condition very well, is that true? Especially he mentioned the GT's 17 inch weel is a problem in winter, anyone can tell me sth? I am really concerning about this, since I know a guy bought a $90,000 Benz with rear wheel drive, had to sell it after the bad winter weather this year. Any comment is welcomed, thanks.

BTW, anyone buying the extended warranty? I am not a guy changing his car often, and I am thinking of the 84mth/16000 one, thanks again. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote from Consumer Report, I would post a link but you have to be a paying member to get to the report.
...Style is fueling most of that growth. But retailers also point to more cornering grip and handling. The larger the wheel, the shorter the tire’s sidewall and the wider its tread must be to maintain the same outside tire diameter and prevent reducing the tire’s load-carrying capacity. The shorter and wider the tire, the better the handling and cornering grip.

Some plus-size wheels and tires live up to their image. Our tests of plus-one, plus-two, and plus-three wheels with common-model tires show that increasing wheel diameter 1 inch--or one plus size--offers the greatest benefit in overall performance. After that, you’re likely to pay for small gains in grip and handling with big losses in ride comfort, hydroplaning resistance, and snow traction.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
It is true that a skinnier tire is better for snow driving. I put my 3 in a ditch a few weeks after I got it because I had no traction going around a corner at about 15km/h. If you get a set of winter rubber for this car you will be good to go though, it truely is a night and day difference.

·
Registered
234 Posts
victorzhu said:
since I know a guy bought a $90,000 Benz with rear wheel drive, had to sell it after the bad winter weather this year.
Did your guy install snow tires for his Benz? If u have a proper snow tire for front/rear and even 4WD, any car can drive quite safety even in heavy snowfall, and if your guy is too cheap to have snow tires, tell him not to drive any highend car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
billyfo said:
victorzhu said:
since I know a guy bought a $90,000 Benz with rear wheel drive, had to sell it after the bad winter weather this year.
Did your guy install snow tires for his Benz? If u have a proper snow tire for front/rear and even 4WD, any car can drive quite safety even in heavy snowfall, and if your guy is too cheap to have snow tires, tell him not to drive any highend car.
No, he didn't install a snow tire since he was so scared to drive that car.
Anyway, seems if I buy a GT sport, I have to pay some addition for the set of snow tires...... :cry:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mazda should let people have a choice for 16 or 17 inches tires even on the GT model, especially these cars are aimed at Canadian market.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
There's a short list of winter tires that come in the stock 205r50/17 tire size. The only one I found was the Toyo SnowProx 950. Has anyone found any other winter tires that come in this size?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, we can change snow tires, but that will cost extra...
I don't have much money to spend since I will start my job in Sept., tooooo bad.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
If this guy that had a Benz was cheap or did not realize that you NEED 4winter tires ona RWD car, he doesn't deserve any high end vehicle, but should drive a base Corolla IMO.

I see too many ppl with LOTS of $$$ that blow it on expensive cars they don't know how to drive, care for and appreciate.

Ok, I'm done :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
dinu01 said:
If this guy that had a Benz was cheap or did not realize that you NEED 4winter tires ona RWD car, he doesn't deserve any high end vehicle, but should drive a base Corolla IMO.

I see too many ppl with LOTS of $$$ that blow it on expensive cars they don't know how to drive, care for and appreciate.

Ok, I'm done :)
WERD!!!!

Let me find an article for your friend... after reading it, I was much more educated on snow handling ... but I'd still take a Subbie over a Benz anyday. :)

Here's the article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=3888&page_number=1

For everyone else as well. I know they use Benz and Audis, but the idea is the same.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm going to reply here, even though I lurk most of the time :)

It was lightly snowing here in Ottawa, just a bit of snow on the road, enough to cover the road, and barely. Let me tell you, even going around 15-20km/h, my 3 was all over the road, had lots of trouble getting it under control.

The stock 17" wheels on my GT are crap.. nice for the summer, crap for the winter. I *SRONGLY* recommend that if you buy a GT with 17" wheels, you invest in a good set of tires.. Will save your car from hitting the ditch or even worse, another vehicle.

stokkes

·
Registered
168 Posts
bluntman said:
There's a short list of winter tires that come in the stock 205r50/17 tire size. The only one I found was the Toyo SnowProx 950. Has anyone found any other winter tires that come in this size?
If & when I get my 3, I would definitely go for winter tires, but not in 17". I'd go for steel rims in 16". They're cheaper (the tires, to offset the cost of the rims), saves your 17" alloys from winter salt, & you get better grip.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That's what I did with my 3. 16'' winter tire Toyo snow prox. They really do the job compared with the 17'' summer tires I had when I bought de car. So, for me, the MZ3 sport is a good winter car.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I think the reason why the MZ3 doesn't perform well in the snow is because of the suspension setting. It's quite stiff and not as "soft" and "spongey" as a Corolla or Camry.

But I'm sure tires would help. :)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
If & when I get my 3, I would definitely go for winter tires, but not in 17". I'd go for steel rims in 16". They're cheaper (the tires, to offset the cost of the rims), saves your 17" alloys from winter salt, & you get better grip.
I have the stock 17" rims in my garage. I'm going to use those as my winter rim/tire combination.

·
Registered
106 Posts
victorzhu said:
Mazda should let people have a choice for 16 or 17 inches tires even on the GT model, especially these cars are aimed at Canadian market.
Dealers might allow switch, it all depends on how customer oriented they want to be.
Besides switching tire sizes from 16 to 17 shouldn't be much of a problem for them because Mazda is using the same rims on the 6. Haven't checked if the 6 uses the same tires but, I believe the rims are the same.
Hopefully for you if you do this, they might need the 17's for their stock.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This has been talked about lots in the Wheels/Tires section, so you can look there for lots of other opinions.

My feeling is that yes, snow tires would be way better than what's on the car. They are better than any all season tire in the snow. However, I live in an apartment, and have no where to store 4 tires, so they weren't an option for me.
Also, I'm sure there are better all season tires out there than what's on the 3, but I had no problems at all with mine. Not even a single close call. The car was always in control, for highway and city driving, in snow and on ice. And we got tons of snow here.
If you drive sanely, you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm finding that the stock Goodyear GS-A's on the M3 don't handle hardpacked snow/ice nearly as well as the BFGoodrich M65's on my Civic, although it may have a lot to do with the different rim sizes (17" vs 14")

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Maybe adjustable suspension would help the 3?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts