Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Can I put 5w30 Pennzoil synthetic oi in my 2018 Mazda
The answer is YES!
I have a 2018 2.5 with just under 40k miles.
It will not harm any engine internal long block component and may even be better for summer months if your ambientes are above 85F+ on average.
I am currently running 10W40 as I always do in my area during summer months that I get average 95-105f and in this month of July and into August we get into 105F-112F+ days.

Super Moderator
Sorry, not buying; there is no benefit for running a heavier oil in a Skyactiv engine, and plenty of potential drawbacks as well.

Registered
Well I can understand your thoughts because you are very careful about what use on your MAZDA but really there is no potential problems and even MAZDA has no requirements or warning not to use some viscosity engine oils in their gas engines or specifically the Skyactiv engines?

Super Moderator
I'm not sure where you're getting your information but the Owner's Manual in our 2016 SkyActiv Mazda3 says the following:
  • Page 6-4:
    • Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol庐 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum performance.

Registered
I'm not sure where you're getting your information but the Owner's Manual in our 2016 SkyActiv Mazda3 says the following:
  • Page 6-4:
    • Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol庐 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum performance.
actually, if you really dig deep that was so MAZDA could achieve the maximum MPG and to keep a low emission to federal requirements.
It does not in any way say you are REQUIRED to use it for any other reason.
Honestly I truly understand it is easy to read the suggested wording implying things for auto manufactures. I should also mention that MAZDA is not really forthright about many of their specification published and refuses to use certification stands for printing and publishing real information having to do with engines power ratings.

If you look you can actually find that there are many engines manufactured that REQUIRE the use of specifically certain types/viscosity of engine oil. And they stipulate will void the warranty should that required oil not be used. Unfortunately, MAZDA is NOT one of them.

Super Moderator
actually, if you really dig deep that was so MAZDA could achieve the maximum MPG and to keep a low emission to federal requirements.
It does not in any way say you are REQUIRED to use it for any other reason.
Honestly I truly understand it is easy to read the suggested wording implying things for auto manufactures. I should also mention that MAZDA is not really forthright about many of their specification published and refuses to use certification stands for printing and publishing real information having to do with engines power ratings.

If you look you can actually find that there are many engines manufactured that REQUIRE the use of specifically certain types/viscosity of engine oil. And they stipulate will void the warranty should that required oil not be used. Unfortunately, MAZDA is NOT one of them.
Please provide references to support any of that; until then, the words from Mazda directly carry infinitely more weight.

Registered
0-W-20 is perfectly fine in hot climates. We run that in Texas and today the temperature was 104 F. Tight tolerance modern engines recommend lighter oils to properly lubricate parts like crank bearings. Toyota has even gone to 0-w-16. Even lighter oils are coming.

Super Moderator
Agreed, my 2006 Acura TL has nearly 200,000 miles on it, exclusively with 0W-20, and yet it still doesn't use even a full quart of oil during a 7,500-10,000 mile oil change interval. Our 2016 Mazda only has about 80,000 miles on it, and it too barely consumes oil between oil changes.

Registered
Please provide references to support any of that; until then, the words from Mazda directly carry infinitely more weight.
Exactly if you read them and how they apply and are worded. Proof response #9

I am seriously not sure why you think this is such an issue? I stated my response and gave logical reasons and even another member posted an oil type usage informational from MAZDA (response #9) and you still need more proof?

As it is often stated by administrators and moderators on forums post a response and let the members decide what they want to do.

Registered
0-W-20 is perfectly fine in hot climates. We run that in Texas and today the temperature was 104 F. Tight tolerance modern engines recommend lighter oils to properly lubricate parts like crank bearings. Toyota has even gone to 0-w-16. Even lighter oils are coming.
David most all motor oil do this, the MAZDA engine can be lubricated just fine with many viscosity motor oils.
If you refer to the engine specification s for bearing, and bore and hone type as well the material used for those parts there is nothing new or special regarding any of them. The tolerances are closer then past engine from decades ago but engine oil still lubricates, cools and cleans long block internal parts.

Once again how manufactures advertise things effects how we think at times and the truth of things needs to be researched.

Registered
The issue I have with such posts it the basic assumption the highly trained Mazda engineers don't know what they're doing and someone from the general public knows better.
This was a great response. ^^^^(y):D^^^^

I am an Automotive Engineer and have developed systems and parts for FORD Motor Company. I also have friends in the Power Train and development depart for BMW and also Chrysler and we frequently exchange chat about the newest engines and ECU operating systems . Currently I engineer and develop aftermarket performance parts for MAZDA Skiactive 2.5 engines that may see light of day on the market hopefully this year? (y)
Over the years I have logged and have had posted a couple dozen TSB for various auto manufactures. Also on the ASE board to prof read some factory service manuals translated from the engineers for primarily use of service technician. I was for a short while one of many who examined, reviewed, analyzed, scrutinized and tested possible new TSBs from BMW/MINI.
And directly regarding my information posted on this thread have had perhaps hundreds of oil analyzed, and until recently received Federal Data information semi annual report with the complete technical information of all motor oil sold in the USA.

Registered
Grendel65 is right. The maximum performance Mazda is concerned about is emissions and fuel consumption. Their main concern in the US market is not horsepower or durability. You don't need to be an engineer to understand this. When I was trying to figure out what viscosity oil to run in my car I looked at the US owner's manual (5w-20). Them I looked at a Mexican owner's manual (where durability is more important than emission standards); and it recommended 5w-30. The engines installed in both cars are the same but the difference is in what each market requires.
I'm running a 0w-30.
As cafe standards continue to become more stringent manufactures are resorting to thinner oils. Thinner oils require less energy to pump and therefore help improve fuel economy. They are also resorting to loser piston ring clearances. This reduces engine power but allows for less friction as the piston travels. A downside of that however is increased oil consumption.
But I do have an associates in automotive technology. As well has having worked at a motorcycle shop with a dyno (thinner oils also increase horsepower at the expense of engine durability).
Engine oil basics are pretty well established. Read some bobtheoilguy to learn a bit more.

Super Moderator
Grendel65 is right. The maximum performance Mazda is concerned about is emissions and fuel consumption. Their main concern in the US market is not horsepower or durability. You don't need to be an engineer to understand this. When I was trying to figure out what viscosity oil to run in my car I looked at the US owner's manual (5w-20). Them I looked at a Mexican owner's manual (where durability is more important than emission standards); and it recommended 5w-30. The engines installed in both cars are the same but the difference is in what each market requires.
I'm running a 0w-30.
As cafe standards continue to become more stringent manufactures are resorting to thinner oils. Thinner oils require less energy to pump and therefore help improve fuel economy. They are also resorting to loser piston ring clearances. This reduces engine power but allows for less friction as the piston travels. A downside of that however is increased oil consumption.
But I do have an associates in automotive technology. As well has having worked at a motorcycle shop with a dyno (thinner oils also increase horsepower at the expense of engine durability).
Engine oil basics are pretty well established. Read some bobtheoilguy to learn a bit more.
Sorry, your arguments lack any supporting scientific facts.

Registered
Sorry, your arguments lack any supporting scientific facts.
You can also figure what oils are meant for what applications they were developed for. The 0w-xx were pioneered in hybrids to get gas mileage as high as possible not in high performance applications because durability would be trash.
F1 teams run engine tolerances so tight that oil has to be pumped into a warmed engine. and they'll run fuel in the oil if they can get away with it for a little extra power. But the guy tracking his M3 is probably running a 10w50/60 because he doesn't have a budget set aside for routine engine replacements and hes willing to give up power for durability.
Grendel65 is running a 10w40 because just like the M3 example he's willing to give up some power for engine durability and defitinely doesn't care about emissions or fuel economy.
I'm running 0w-30 because I have many cold starts but I like beating on it more than the average person. I also am willing to increase emissions and increase fuel consumption for better durability.
You think we're wrong because you can't figure out how to read the chart
lout provided.
For most people however I would recommend they run what the manufacturer recommends for their region. Because most people are really that concerned with performance. However
Mazdaspeed3FR, asked if he could run 5w-30 and the answer is an unequivocal YES according to the source lout provided.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts