Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, some of you might know that someone did a hit-and-run on my car right after I got it. =( That broke my heart.
Here are the details: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=133698.0

ICBC approved the claim but they are not paying the body shops to replace the door skin, but use bondo to cover it up. I disapprove of this method so I decided not to depend on ICBC. Now my question is, can I fix this dent and scratch with some DIY? I want a fix not a cover up.

Excuse the picture quality, it was taken with my phone. Here are the pictures:

There is more damage but it doesn't really show up on camera.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Bondo???? :bolt:

Without being able to see the panel in great detail, I'd check into a Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) guy. He should be able to work the dent out. If the paint is cracked, it'll need to be re-painted. If it's just scuffed, try some Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 on the area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can try a PDR guy, but I would bet he will not be able to guarantee a 100% perfect repair to the dent due to the crease in the panel above and to the rear of the end of the side molding. Also, if those black marks are scratches through the paint, no amount of buffing will correct them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is no harm in trying a PDR repair and a good repairman will tell you before he attempts the repair what the chances of it being perfect or not are. I would suggest removing the black paint and buffing that area yourself to make sure there is no hidden paint damage to your car. This will also make it easier for the dent guy to tell you the odds of the job turning out perfect of not. Good luck and I hope you can get it repaired without Bondo and paint!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts