Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 (2.0 ti-grey sedan fully loaded) is standard on 17 inch. I want to use the standard 17 inch alloy for wintertyres and want to fit 18 inch alloy for summertime. Does anyone know if this is possible without changing anything because i don't want it lowered on change suspension and fethers etc. I hope it's possible with just using flatter tyres

·
Registered
272 Posts
FYI, the Concept MX-Sportif (Mazda3 prototype) presented in Geneva 2003 was equipped with 225/45R18 tires and 7JJ rims.

Bruno

·
Registered
132 Posts
In my honest opinion, 18's with no drop looks horrible and cheap but its not my car so :)

i havent tried it or really looked at my front fenders close yet but you can take them to a bodyshop usually and get them rolled a little so that it won't rub either way.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Been tested...

20x8.5" will fit with a 3/4" front roll and almost a full inch in the back. Happen to get the results today. A local wheel shop took measurements and THEORITICALLY thats what they come up with.

Since noone has actually done it.. its not 100% exact.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You should be able to...

It is my understanding that the stock wheels for the Mazda3 (17") actually came from the RX-8. Everyone that got the RX-8 upgraded to the 18" wheels and you were left with a bunch left over. So, the should fit, but I don't know what it might do under the car.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Re: You should be able to...

DJ Spencer said:
It is my understanding that the stock wheels for the Mazda3 (17") actually came from the RX-8. Everyone that got the RX-8 upgraded to the 18" wheels and you were left with a bunch left over. So, the should fit, but I don't know what it might do under the car.
Interesting. That would prove that the wheels off a RX8 will fit on the 3 (unless its overly wide) with no problems.

My salesperson was planning on putting the wheels on. Possibly powdercoated.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Re: You should be able to...

vaBooM said:
My salesperson was planning on putting the wheels on. Possibly powdercoated.
That sounds pretty.... I bet a white powdercoat on the Winning Blue would kick ass.

But alas, I've not even made the first payment - I should adjust to the damage first...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey Birdie,
In my heart I must agree that my car must be lowered if fitted with 18 inch. But I also want a smooth drive and mostly lowering a car means that the car bounces more (bad choice of words but hey; I'm Dutch) and I don't think my wife & kid will like that. I have to make a compromise....and that really pisses me off

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Ivo 2litre active said:
hey Birdie,
In my heart I must agree that my car must be lowered if fitted with 18 inch. But I also want a smooth drive and mostly lowering a car means that the car bounces more (bad choice of words but hey; I'm Dutch) and I don't think my wife & kid will like that. I have to make a compromise....and that really pisses me off
A mild lowering, such as 1", with a proper shock wont affect the ride all that much.

Coilovers also do wonders, but are pricey.

·
Registered
62 Posts
yeah but lowering voids warranty doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Nah, just the parts associated with lowering. Change the springs, they are not covered.

·
Registered
62 Posts
really....I thought i heard from somebody that if you lower the car it voids all warranty like tranny and everythin didnt make any sense when i heard it thats why i asked hahah

so if i drop it like 2 inches or somethin or 1.5 and somethin goes wrong other then with the springs im still covered??

or i could keep it stock fit some 19's on it so i cant even lower it and be covered all the way haha

·
Registered
947 Posts
To deny you warranty they'd have to prove that the parts you installed caused the failure. So if you put huge wheels on with the wrong off-set and you throw a wheel bearing, chances are that the warray will be voided.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Actually, if the Mazda dealer drops the car, then I think it is still covered. Usually it's any parts and labor performed by Mazda are covered.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Gotta find a mod-friendly dealer! BTW, if you get 19" wheels couldn't you impair your turning radius / burn rubber on your inside wheelwell/enginewall?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
No. A 19x8" wheel with 215/35/19 tires is actually .3" taller than stock. That should be fine as what I hear.

According to an expert at Tire Rack, he states that the 19x8" wheel will work fine with 215/35/19 tires. If you wanted to go to 225/35, the overall tire diameter will be over .5" (I think the calculations came out to .57 or something like that).

If you want wider tires, you gotta roll dem fenders.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Probably with 19's... I think 18's would be safe though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
can't get a 40 or a 45 series tire in there though eh???

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
suppose it's possible.

I don't know why you'd want to though - that might look ghetto on this car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
35 series would be so bumpy no??? i would love to get a deuce under there but i think the turning radius would be shit, and it would look too gangster...19 or 18 would be just right some nice blinging chrome! big 5 star or somethin ohhh baby!

i had 40 series on my old crx like 3 years ago and it was soo bumpy..mind you i had apc adjustable coilovers and it was like a 3.5
drop or something crazy haah that car with the bodykit was like 2 inchs off the ground if that..u coudlnt even fit your shoe under the front kit hahaha

1 - 20 of 49 Posts