Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how some of you mount your cameras for in-car vids....

I have a Nikon Coolpix L11. It has a flat bottom, so I guess I could just try to velcro it somewhere.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'd go with the headrest mount or with such a flat camera, I'd go with a RAM twist-lock suction base and a RAM finger grip mount. I bought my set for $45 on Amazon and use it to hold my phone, but you could easily pivot it so it faces out.

For the headrest mount, I'd use a piece of square tubing (steel or aluminum). Mine is made out of .0625 wall 3/4" square tube and the vibrations are a little amplified since the metal flexes a little. I'm guessing it'd be a lot worse with wood since it flexes more than metal.

Here's a video I took with my camera mounted on the headrest. I didn't tighten the bolt on the camera enough, so it started drifting toward the left. :lol:

Mazda3 Camera Mount Test

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
[quote author=epic3 link=topic=183299.msg3878260#msg3878260 date=1291818406]
I'm a fan of the film tools mouts myself... but if you don't have much cash, a simple 1x4 will work. Drill 3 holes in it, and mount it with your headrest.

[/quote]

This is how I mount mine. However mine spans the length of both headrests to provide additional stability to my heavy Canon.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the PVC idea, but PVC tubing that small tends to flex a lot, doesn't it?

Is there a standard size for the mounting screw?

Of course, I suppose I could just take it with me to Home Depot and try a bunch...

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
[quote author=BeansRocks link=topic=183299.msg3884312#msg3884312 date=1292448168]

Of course, I suppose I could just take it with me to Home Depot and try a bunch...
[/quote]

3/8-16 and 1/4-20 are the two standard tripod screw sizes. Most 35mm camera bodies accept a 1/4" diameter, 20 thread-count screw. Most tripod heads attach to tripod legs with a 3/8" diameter, 16 thread-count screw.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
[quote author=BeansRocks link=topic=183299.msg3884312#msg3884312 date=1292448168]

[/quote]
The PVC does flex a little bit. It works great with a small camera, but when I tried my Canon XSi, it only works well on flat pavement.
Here is a picture I took at 1/10th of a second:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts