Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question of the day, I checked compression and it is 143, 145, 150, 164. It barely smoked any upon starting the engine, but after 15 sec it started to put out a little black smoke, and then a lot of grey smoke. It pulls incredibly hard, but any time you accelerate hard it puts out a complete smoke screen for half a block. Clearly there is a big difference between cylinders, what is your opinion as to what's wrong?

Second question, on the turbo housing below the oil drainback fitting in the center of the two compressors, there is a Weep Hole, I'm guessing. I see a little oil weeping out of it. Usually that is a sign that a seal or bearing is bad, right? Is that normal? The entire turbo was refitted with 360 degree thrust bearings a few months ago. What do you think about this?

I have my own ideas about it, but I figured second opinions never hurt.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Just bought crazyfasts turboed sedan-some questions as I go along fixing it

It looks like a high flow cat with 3" pipe all the way. 2.5 downpipe, though. A/F on the AEM wideband says 14-15 at idle, 12 on boost. That's what he told me, and it looked right when I was in it, just it pulled me so hard when it hit 3k, I didn't quite catch the A/F.

It's got Reactive Dee's xfc controlling the fuel.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts

well if thats what is than that might not be your problem per say, i mean turbo cars do throw a lot of carbon out the ass end under load, although you may have some turbo seal issues.

as far as the compression readings go i mean your barely with in specs for this car and the maxmium difference is 28psi so i mean your alright there but barely.

i mean possible problems, valves arent seated correctly, head gasket or rings

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but for a motor with less than 1k miles on it, I would expect it to be really close all the way across. Most likely I will pull it out and go through it.

For the smoking, I've seen turboed cars smoke and all, but this thing will make the whole highway so thick in smoke you can't see the car in front of you if you stomp on it.

When you say put oil in the hole, you mean put a capful down in there, and then recheck the compression?

Oh, and thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

ok, just finished. It jumped up to like 250 and leakdown was 20lbs in about 10 min.

And about that weep hole? Is it supposed to be there? and leaking a little?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

what size turbo is on there? i have a turbo for sale if that one does turn out to be crapped out or costs too much to fix :) i hope it dont come to that. Crazyfast put hella work in that car. im glad its staying within the community tho

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

[quote author=Marne_Aeok link=topic=138960.msg2994999#msg2994999 date=1237090739]
what size turbo is on there? i have a turbo for sale if that one does turn out to be crapped out or costs too much to fix :) i hope it dont come to that. Crazyfast put hella work in that car. im glad its staying within the community tho
[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure. I know its a borg warner t3/t4 and he told me 60mm and the for sale post says 54 trim. It's been polished, so the model number is gone. He said he will get the phone number of the guy who just rebuilt it, and I can ask him what it is exactly.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Looks like the pressure is 170 now and barely moving. Its been maybe 30 min I don't know exactly how long.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

well alright . hit my thread up for the info on the turbo :)

·
Registered
665 Posts

Grr i go to buy his car like an hour after you bought it :( oh well..

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

Sounds dumb, but check the air filter.
If it hasn't been cleaned or if there is any resistance on the intake side, sometimes the turbo seals leak.
I would take the block apart and check the rings.
Bust out your ruler and measure the Inducer diameter and the exducer diameter on both sides.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Sorry about your smoking, but congrats on the buy, i wanted it so bad. :x :p

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

[quote author=jort88 link=topic=138960.msg2995124#msg2995124 date=1237096708]
Sounds dumb, but check the air filter.
If it hasn't been cleaned or if there is any resistance on the intake side, sometimes the turbo seals leak.
I would take the block apart and check the rings.
Bust out your ruler and measure the Inducer diameter and the exducer diameter on both sides.
[/quote]

It actually looks clean, and I was thinking about replacing the intake side piping with at least 3". Right now it looks like 2.5 with a little tiny K&N filter. As for the smoke, I already assumed the rings being the culprit before I bought it so I wouldn't find out later and be let down. So, I guess, out comes the engine soon. Wooopy! Well, at least that way, I get to build it myself and know exactly what's in there and it's limits.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts

Do you know if it is still using the stock gears?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

[quote author=ryukensfj link=topic=138960.msg2995550#msg2995550 date=1237140129]
Do you know if it is still using the stock gears?
[/quote]

Yes the are stock, he told me if I miss a gear it will definately emulsify the gears. But, I already got something to fix that.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts