Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Got a question for the locals. When I bought the car, included in the trunk was a CAI, not sure of the brand. The couplings are marked HPS, but it doesn't look like the one's listed in the intake thread. Has a Spectre filter on the end of it.

My question is this: I plan on installing this once the weather gets/stays a bit better, but have become a bit concerned with all the rain we can get. I have read about hydrolock since I started driving (couple years ago :)) but never actually KNEW anyone it had happened to. However, this CAI seems as if it would sit rather low, plus it seems a bit more involved to install. I'm rather experienced mechanically, but still prefer easier things to harder ones.

Knowing that I DD the car everyday, about 75-100 miles/day, and am willing to give up a bit of power to gain long term reliability, would I be better off sellin' what I have and looking for a SRI? Or is the hydrolock issue a smaller possibility than I am imagining? Opinions welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
there differences in gains are minuscule between SRI and CAI
the CAI will sit very low in your wheel well and there have been a lot of cases of people hydro locking because they hvae to drive through a deep puddle
they suck up water
and zoom zoom boom

SRI is very very very easy to install -- should only take about 15 - 30 minutes if you have experience doing such a thing

this topic has been beaten to death tho
i'd suggest searching more

but for ease of use and peace of mind - sell that CAI on the FS threads here
get some money from that
and buy a SRI

/thread

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thr input, I appreciate it. However, since it was so nice this past weekend, I took advantage and installed the CAI. Not worried about performance difference, but as the CAI came with the car (read: free), decided to see how it worked. Loving it so far, looking into getting a pre-filter to prevent any hydrolock.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sorry about the anecdotal evidence but I daily drove a car with a CAI attached to it for 5 years and I never had a problem with hydrolock, MAF sensor is another story, but I saw all kinds of weather without issue.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the other day I drove home (about 25 miiles) thru a severe thunderstorm, incl. some fairly deep puddles. Slowed down for the standing water, which I do anyway, and no problem w/ rain. And man,.......does is sound sweet!!! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
sorry to drag up this ancient thread (ok, let the flaming begin!...lol),
i'm looking to find someone local to the SE Pa area (i.e.: about a hour hour or so north east of Philly) with experience with mods such as installing a CAI to work on my car;
physically, i am limited as to what i can do these days, and also want to meet some other Mazda people.
if anyone is near this part and wants to make a little cash, i'm willing to meet up to watch someone with experience help my mazda.
Thx!

·
Super Moderator
1,213 Posts
sorry to drag up this ancient thread (ok, let the flaming begin!...lol),
i'm looking to find someone local to the SE Pa area (i.e.: about a hour hour or so north east of Philly) with experience with mods such as installing a CAI to work on my car;
physically, i am limited as to what i can do these days, and also want to meet some other Mazda people.
if anyone is near this part and wants to make a little cash, i'm willing to meet up to watch someone with experience help my mazda.
Thx!
Keep in mind the stock intake from the factory on your car is in fact a CAI; adding an after market unit will not provide you with any benefits in the RPM ranges where you do 99.9% of your driving, in fact, after market units often see a slight reduction in midrange torque. Best advice, leave the factory intake alone unless your sole goal is for the engine to make more noise.

·
Registered
89 Posts
so, what you're saying is that a CAI (other than the stock airbox) offers No improvement other than the sound it makes?
MazdaSpeed, AEM, Injen, Typhoon, etc, etc...all respectable brands that many seem to put on their cars...
strange since there are gangs of vids showing dyno pulls adding a few HP :/

·
Registered
874 Posts
there differences in gains are minuscule between SRI and CAI
the CAI will sit very low in your wheel well and there have been a lot of cases of people hydro locking because they hvae to drive through a deep puddle
they suck up water
and zoom zoom boom

SRI is very very very easy to install -- should only take about 15 - 30 minutes if you have experience doing such a thing

this topic has been beaten to death tho
i'd suggest searching more

but for ease of use and peace of mind - sell that CAI on the FS threads here
get some money from that
and buy a SRI

/thread
do you actually own a CAI? i agree that this topic has been beaten to death, but there is very little report that CAI is the direct cause of hydrolocking.. Most of the reports that had hydro locked their engine because was mainly driver error. People that drove their cars thru floods that are higher than their door.. People that accelerates thru the floods. Mostly purely driver error, this had happened also with stock air boxes.

I had own a CAI for 5 years, it has been thru heavy rains, light floods and snow.. I had never had any issues of hydrolocking..

With the mazda 3, the filter (all market aftermarket filter) will sit a higher than door opening.. only a dumbass person would try to drive their cars thru a flood that the water level is higher than the door.

If you have not owned a CAI please do not make any comments on it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
r2rrita...
i agree...i've had CAI's on other cars i've owned and never even thought or worried about hydrolocking...
that's why i'm looking into getting one for my recently purchased 2007 3i sedan

·
Super Moderator
1,213 Posts
so, what you're saying is that a CAI (other than the stock airbox) offers No improvement other than the sound it makes?
MazdaSpeed, AEM, Injen, Typhoon, etc, etc...all respectable brands that many seem to put on their cars...
strange since there are gangs of vids showing dyno pulls adding a few HP :/
Did you even read my post? What I'm saying, and what the dyno pulls bear out, is replacing the stock intake with an aftermarket unit virtually always *REDUCES* mid-range torque in favor of a couple of extra horse power up near redline at wide open throttle. So, how often do you drive your car around at WOT with the engine bouncing off the rev limiter?

The fact is, the stock intake is tuned in such a way the resonance in the runners aid in volumetric efficiency in the mid range, and as such, a car with a stock intake will usually be quicker in normal driving situations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts