Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i was just wondering which brand of CAI is the best.
or what do u guys recommend me to put on mazda3 2.3.
CAI? SRI?
and whats the difference. thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Difference between a CAI and an SRI:
CAI: Cold Air Intake has a long tube, that sucks air from the driver side wheel well. The air down here is colder, therefore holding more oxygen (Chem101). Downsides may include going through open puddles with a WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and water being possibly sucked into engine. (Would have to be quite a deep puddle.) I have a CAI and so far with 6k miles on it, no such thing has occurred.
SRI: Short Ram Intake takes air from the top of the engine compartment right next to the Throttle Body. I don't have any experience with these aka sound, performance etc.

Personally, I love my CAI, by K&N, makes great sound when your on the gas, and only squeaks (as most do between 2500 and 3500RPMs) ever so slightly. I've researched and a lot of people like the F2 and F5 I believe thats what they are called. Others will have opinions, but just use the search button and browse around, you'll be able to find more info on this topic than info on Britney Spears' sex life. Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I went with the MazdaspeedCAI because it cost around the same as other CAIs, but it's CARB approved, has a splash shield and comes with 2 bottles of cleaning solution and it will probably be the only MS part I would be willing to spend a lot on (most MS parts cost hella $$$$).

I bought the CAI primarily so I can hear the engine better. I put it in a couple of weeks ago, it's okay as a CAI. It was a LOT quiet than I thought it would be, you really have to bring the RPMs up to hear it. An odd thing I noticed, is that you hear the intake a lot better when the windows are rolled up.

I kinda want to switch to a SRI, aren't they louder compared to SRI? My friend has a AEM SRI on his 4cyl 02'Accord and it's pretty loud.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
An SRI has a shorter tube so it'll probably sound different and perhaps louder since the filter is closer to the driver and not hugging the lower left bumper.

Havn't compared sounds though.

I like my CAI. It has a "BIG TUBE" sound to it.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
[quote author=ShiftHappens link=topic=71229.msg1254139#msg1254139 date=1173288242]
I went with the MazdaspeedCAI because it cost around the same as other CAIs, but it's CARB approved, has a splash shield and comes with 2 bottles of cleaning solution and it will probably be the only MS part I would be willing to spend a lot on (most MS parts cost hella $$$$).

I bought the CAI primarily so I can hear the engine better. I put it in a couple of weeks ago, it's okay as a CAI. It was a LOT quiet than I thought it would be, you really have to bring the RPMs up to hear it. An odd thing I noticed, is that you hear the intake a lot better when the windows are rolled up.

I kinda want to switch to a SRI, aren't they louder compared to SRI? My friend has a AEM SRI on his 4cyl 02'Accord and it's pretty loud.
[/quote]

it sounds quiet due to the restrictive synthetic AEM filter. Switch to K&N and it'll sound better and flow more air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts