Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am using this car as a daily driver (was not going to at first) and would like an opinion on if a CAI or Short ram would be better cosidering it will be driven in the rain at times. I will be doing many other mods (exhaust,BOV,XEDE or COBB, TMIC upgrade...)...

Comments

Joe in RI

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you get a CAI just dont ford a river and you will be fine. Pretty much have to submerge the cone in order to hydro-lock. So far it seems all the tuners are going CAI so it seems you will get better results from one.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
actually if i am correct since the intake has to go to the turbo it will be a long route and more than likely the cai will not be one piece but two pieces and you could always just leave off the second part to make it a short ram... that's what k/n typhoons do think.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I bet it fits just the same..Nice find. I havent seen that one yet. I bet the BOV in recirculate is a little louder as the air dosnt look routed as far forward to the turbo.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I know where you live ;)
a cai is totally acceptable around here, as long as the filter doesnt have a direct spray on it, it wont ever be an issue. The only way to screw yourself without driving into a lake is to remove your wheel well liners or under body pannels and have tire spray directly contacting the filter, and even then you would need to drive through an inch or two or water for it to really matter.
CAI for me.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
a CAI is better than a SRI for the same reason a FMIC is better than a TMIC..... under hood temps are HOT !!!!!
you may get better flow from a SRI but it will all be hot. the key is to get colder air. the tubo will get all the air it needs regardless, but the colder it is the better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts