Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on my AEM CAI last spring and have had some major issues with it in our wet northwest weather. Whenever it would rain heavy, my check engine light would go on and it would often not go into gear if I tried to gun it. Anyone else have this problem with the CAI? I know that it was the issue because I took it off a week ago and it has been running great through the pouring rain and snow.

I figure I need to create some sort of protectant box for it come this summer so the air filter doesn't get so damn wet. To be fair...it didn't even boost my performance all that much in the first place, so I am even debating keeping it off. Any ideas? The filter looked pretty damn dirty and almost like it was rotting a little bit. I only had it on there for maybe 6 months too.

Grrrrrrrr

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
alternatively you can sell the AEM and buy an Injen which does not have this problem.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=67103.msg1152501#msg1152501 date=1168972924]
A water-repellent prefilter gets my vote.
[/quote]

yup ftw!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=67103.msg1152486#msg1152486 date=1168972383]
alternatively you can sell the AEM and buy an Injen which does not have this problem.
[/quote]

Oh really? Why is that? Is it radically designed differently? *Note, after I bought my AEM I fell off the radar as to what is new and what has come out since then*

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have an AEM and havent had any problems for a year and a half. Thats weird that you have had problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I must say that it is very few and far between that you hear people who have issues with them...but I am one of them. When I took it off with a friend, we inspected it all around and seemed to be installed correctly. It only takes a few puddles and then that thing has to attempt to get dry...the problem is that the rain never ceases up here and driving in puddles are a way of life.

To be fair though, I am on the road about 15 min shy of 2 hours a day. Still....all the problems ceased once I put the stock unit back on. I will have to take a pic of my CAI Filter one of these days and post it on here.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Again, water-repellant prefilter, ftw.

they only cost a few bucks, and pose practically zero flow restriction. Water rolls right off the outerwear, so you don't have to worry about sucking up some water mist that will wet your MAFS and cause a CEL.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Cai ftl in the winter time. Sri ftw in the winter time. Its common sense not to run a cai in the winter time. Especially if you get alot of rain and snow where you live.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
[quote author=KoRn link=topic=67103.msg1153550#msg1153550 date=1169007067]
Cai ftl in the winter time. Sri ftw in the winter time. Its common sense not to run a cai in the winter time. Especially if you get alot of rain and snow where you live.
[/quote]

As long as you keep your filter clean and avoid puddles, there's really no good reason you can't run a CAI year-round. I think those kind of problems get over-hyped.

·
Registered
913 Posts
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=67103.msg1153563#msg1153563 date=1169007287]
[quote author=KoRn link=topic=67103.msg1153550#msg1153550 date=1169007067]
[/quote]

As long as you keep your filter clean and avoid puddles, there's really no good reason you can't run a CAI year-round. I think those kind of problems get over-hyped.
[/quote]
+1
x-man, do you have the dry flow filter?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, do you have a link to find it. I bought the stock AEM intake package. I looked on ptuning and some other sites for rainguards, but couldn't find anything. I was initially just going to through some sheet metal around it to create my own box so to say, but if there is a better idea I am all for it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
yea, don't get a dry flow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=67103.msg1153426#msg1153426 date=1169003685]
Again, water-repellant prefilter, ftw.

they only cost a few bucks, and pose practically zero flow restriction. Water rolls right off the outerwear, so you don't have to worry about sucking up some water mist that will wet your MAFS and cause a CEL.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. Do you have a link of where I could get one for the AEM CAI?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts