Mazda3 Forums banner

221 - 240 of 247 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Congrats - sorry to see you out of the Mazda family, but the current WRX is NICE!
Yeah, I'm pissed at Mazda for not making a new speed3 for me to buy :( Someday I'll be back.

When I was getting my speed inspected, I watched the mech drive off in my car and realized all over again how fucking sexy it is. I rarely get to see it in action from the outside, and man, what a treat :p

Almost makes me not want to sell.

·
Registered
153 Posts
WRX is one of the few cars I really enjoy in white. Some of the black out things you can do to it really make it stand out as unique instead of blending in with ever single other WRX out there. Plus any carbon fiber body components look great IMO.

Gotta love the sound that boxer engine makes too! Congrats, I think you will be very happy with the purchase, not to mention the engine is basically bullet proof in terms of long range reliability.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Yeah, but having two toys isn't practical (especially without a garage), and I'm moving to the US shortly and am only allowed to bring 1 car in without being taxed haha

WRX is one of the few cars I really enjoy in white. Some of the black out things you can do to it really make it stand out as unique instead of blending in with ever single other WRX out there. Plus any carbon fiber body components look great IMO.

Gotta love the sound that boxer engine makes too! Congrats, I think you will be very happy with the purchase, not to mention the engine is basically bullet proof in terms of long range reliability.
Yeah, that's the only reason why I finally went through with it, despite not being my dream color.

And I'm really looking forward to the new WRX. There are a few interior "downgrades" compared to my speed, and the lack of the hatch sucks BUT in my two overly short 5 minute test drives, it really impressed me in terms of being fun to drive. It feels waaay quicker off the line than my speed3. I wasn't even trying to be agressive and I found myself well over the speed limit before even leaving first gear lol!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I thought cars were more expensive in Canada - surprised you'd want a new one with an upcoming move. I also thought people were supposed to be moving the other direction, what with how the election cycle is going in the US and all. My parents say Canada is advertising how easy it is to move there on TV.

If you end up in the Washington area, you're always welcome to work on cars at my place. Wasn't allowed to build the garage that I had planned, but I have a carport and hot water outside for winter washes.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #226 (Edited)
I thought cars were more expensive in Canada - surprised you'd want a new one with an upcoming move. I also thought people were supposed to be moving the other direction, what with how the election cycle is going in the US and all. My parents say Canada is advertising how easy it is to move there on TV.

If you end up in the Washington area, you're always welcome to work on cars at my place. Wasn't allowed to build the garage that I had planned, but I have a carport and hot water outside for winter washes.
Cars pricing takes quite a while to adjust due to all of the competition. Not too long ago our dollar was very strong which FINALLY moved the car prices closer to being on par (after being way higher for like... forever?), since dealers were being hurt by canadians going south of the border with their strong dollar to buy reasonably priced cars.

However now, our dollar is shit again, but the car prices are still what they were when the dollar was strong. Now americans are coming to canada to buy their cars here! I have two american friends who saved something like $15k on their purchases by buying new NAFTA eligible cars here.

Only issue is the speedometer, but with digital speedos/HUDs that is no longer a problem on most models.

Also, Canadians are running for the states because we still keep our citizenship and can go back any time, but we make 30% more money at a minimum.

Thanks for the offer, but most likely I will end up in Wichita KS... :( haha
Probably the least cool place in the US?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nah - anywhere in North or South Dakota is WAYYYY worse.

Kansas is close to Colorado and they have mountains which could make for an awesome drive in the new WRX. Not to mention the other things you can do there ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Yeah, I suppose that's true! Its a bit of a long/straight/boring drive to get there, but could make for a fun weekend :)

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #229 (Edited)
Sooo I am very sad. My baby is gone, and I already regret selling it.
Although a big part of that might be because I am officially carless for the first time in my 15 year driving career. No new WRX to numb the pain of the loss of what is likely the greatest budget sports car car ever made.

Good news is she will make another Carleton University engineering student very happy! Ramps on ramps were required to get on the ramps, but finally on the trailer!

·
Registered
174 Posts
All the cool kids live on either one of the coasts! Seriously, something like 80% of the US population lives within 160 km of either an ocean or a land border. Atlanta is the only major East coast city not in that zone.

Definitely appreciate all the advice you've given me over my 10 short months of 3 ownership. You're also right that like every third car in Montreal is a 3 - didn't know there were still so many first gens on the road!

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Sad day. Hope you stick around and show off that new wrx.
I will for sure, this forum has been such a big part of my life for the last 8 years, I'll probably be coming here out of habit for some time to come :p

All the cool kids live on either one of the coasts! Seriously, something like 80% of the US population lives within 160 km of either an ocean or a land border. Atlanta is the only major East coast city not in that zone.

Definitely appreciate all the advice you've given me over my 10 short months of 3 ownership. You're also right that like every third car in Montreal is a 3 - didn't know there were still so many first gens on the road!
Thanks man, and glad I could help! :)
And yeah, I wish I was living near the coast... unfortunately in my line of work I don't really get to choose where I live. That's why I'm in QC right now, and not someplace better haha

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'll trade with you! Love it in QC although not sure how I'd like living here with the long winter and knowing about 20 French words. I've visited family in Minneapolis/St. Paul in the winter and it wasn't as bad as I expected, but couldn't take 6 months of it. Last time I was looking for a job, I somewhat seriously considered moving to Barcelona.

I guess I've been spoiled being in a hot industry (software engineer). The county I live in has more engineers working in it than all of Silicon Valley, but I could probably get a good job in almost any major city without too much trouble or could get a major city salary with 100% remote work and live anywhere in the country. I'm originally from close to where I live, but that's rare in my area and I have no reason to stay here outside of friends and a job I like - none of my family is left in the area from most of them being here when I was little.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
The long winters get to you, and I'm thoroughly sick of them. 2 weeks on a trip is awesome. 2 months is ok, because it makes you look forward to the summer again. 5 months is just horrible.
I hate sitting inside all the time because it's so damn cold outside lol

Yeah, software engineers have it real good. I keep hearing about people graduating and making 120k salaries right out of university, whereas I've been in the aerospace industry for 7 years, doing high risk flight tests that generally require a million dollar (literally) training program, and only a handful of people in the world know how to do and I don't make anything close to that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
120k right out of school isn't normal - don't know anyone who got that. Of course, today I'd want a lot more than that if I was in Silicon Valley where a studio is frequently 3k a month. I started at 60k back in 2007 near Washington, DC so a top 5 US cost of living city. Average starting salary for the class of 2012 with my degree from my school was 90k so it's gone up a lot since I graduated. I think average was 58k my year.

Of course, my fear is with the push to get more people into tech and the ageism that is definitely here is that I won't be able to sustain a high salary for a full career, so I'm trying to save a ton of money now in case the future isn't so bright.

If they're making a million dollar investment in you, they should be treating you well! I know a couple of people who work for Boeing near me and I believe that the US headquarters for Airbus is in my county. Boeing seems to be a good employer, but I think virtually all they do near me is defense (probably most of it requiring US citizenship/security clearance).

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've visited family in Minneapolis/St. Paul in the winter and it wasn't as bad as I expected, but couldn't take 6 months of it.
Im in the Minneapolis burbs, love it. Winter sucks as you mentioned cuz it lasts from late Nov thru April sometimes but on the flip side, there is tons to do here in the winter, especially if you like the outdoors.

Forget lowering your 3 though here unless you need a snowplow or enjoy seeing your front bumper sprawled across the highway when you hit one of these crater potholes.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Of course, my fear is with the push to get more people into tech and the ageism that is definitely here is that I won't be able to sustain a high salary for a full career, so I'm trying to save a ton of money now in case the future isn't so bright.

If they're making a million dollar investment in you, they should be treating you well! I know a couple of people who work for Boeing near me and I believe that the US headquarters for Airbus is in my county. Boeing seems to be a good employer, but I think virtually all they do near me is defense (probably most of it requiring US citizenship/security clearance).
That's smart of you :)

And no, "they" never make the investment. I actually managed to fall into a loophole where I didn't need the course but generally only people who got the training in the military get hired (i.e. the gov't pays the money for the course).

Regarding US citizenship/security clearance, yeah, that is a big issue.

Forget lowering your 3 though here unless you need a snowplow or enjoy seeing your front bumper sprawled across the highway when you hit one of these crater potholes.
My ms3 was lowered and I got by just fine... :p

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
The new Rex has finally made it home! Base model unfortunately, but it was all that was available and was a good deal, sooo it'll do :)
Build thread will come whenever I finally get time to work on it. Going OEM+ again!

221 - 240 of 247 Posts