Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on this and could not really find any answers.

I was wondering if the OEM Mazda iPod adapter (p/n C236-79-CFZ) would be any better or not as good as the aftermarket iPod integration solutions that are available.

Any input would be appreciated.

This is for a 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT btw.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Anything that hard-wires the iPod to the HU should give about the same high quality output. (Note: from the dock port is going to be more optimal than the earphone plug.) That said, look at the features of the Mazda integration unit. I'm more that a little wary of anything that freezes the iPod controls and gives no read out on the radio as to what's on. It may sound good, but it also sounds like it would be a PIA. IMHO. Maybe some more input from folks that have gone that route will help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
so yeah.

if we should be skeptical of the mazda ipod integration stuffs, then do you have any suggestions on what would be good.

right now i'm using the Monster iCarPlay fm transmitter. It is really good as far as FM transmitters go, but it has its limits, but I'm also out in BFE so there aren't many radio stations to interfere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=Sealy link=topic=65630.msg1124377#msg1124377 date=1167394549]
That said, look at the features of the Mazda integration unit. I'm more that a little wary of anything that freezes the iPod controls and gives no read out on the radio as to what's on. It may sound good, but it also sounds like it would be a PIA. IMHO. [/quote]
But the alternative is an FM transmitter iPod dock, which I believe would allow you control of the iPod (correct me if I am wrong) but then you would not be able to use your steering wheel controls - which the Mazda integration unit lets you do. It does show the track # and stuff on the Mazda OEM deck though too doesn't it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
[quote author=speedemn link=topic=65630.msg1125960#msg1125960 date=1167490965]
[quote author=Sealy link=topic=65630.msg1124377#msg1124377 date=1167394549]
That said, look at the features of the Mazda integration unit. I'm more that a little wary of anything that freezes the iPod controls and gives no read out on the radio as to what's on. It may sound good, but it also sounds like it would be a PIA. IMHO. [/quote]
But the alternative is an FM transmitter iPod dock, which I believe would allow you control of the iPod (correct me if I am wrong) but then you would not be able to use your steering wheel controls - which the Mazda integration unit lets you do. It does show the track # and stuff on the Mazda OEM deck though too doesn't it?
[/quote]

the FM transmitter does leave the control of the ipod free, but sometimes driving your ipod while driving your car can be a little problematic (playlisting can be your friend).

and my transmitter doesn't display the track info on the OEM deck, but there may be some that do. possibly if you got the Griffin iTrip since it's endorsed by Apple and all, but I've heard that the play quality there is terrible. Like i said, so far the best FM transmitter i've found is the Monster iCar Play.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
There are currently no available methods that display song information on the HU LCD. The AuxMod Advanced, currently in beta testing, is supposed to however there's been no confirmation on that yet.

There are multiple other ipod integration methods available beyond the OEM one, and FM transmitters. Click the link in my signature for details on those.

I think the "best bang for your buck" ipod adapter is the audiolink because it has a mode to control the ipod with the ipod, or to use the steering wheel controls/playlists, and it provides you with a 3.5mm input if you have another device you want to hook up. Anyway check out the link and reply in there (or one of the other related threads) if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know little about the other adapters on the market, but I just installed the Mazda OEM Ipod Adapter and it works pretty well.

Take this with a grain of salt though, because it took me all night to determine that is was working well. As stated in other posts, the display features of this (and other units) suck....flat out. I think Mazda's is especially cryptic though.

I have read several users complain that the unit was not performing as stated in the user's manual. I was begining to believe this too until I sat down and fooled around with it to realize that it was doing what the manual said, but it is very hard to understand as it is written.

Specifically, advancing the Music Menu is a little tricky. You really do need to "double click" the DISC button to change the Music Menu...and you have to pay attention, because if you don't you'll never realize what is happening. Once I figured this out, it was much easier to use.

Yes, it's true you can have as many play lists as you like, but unless you can keep track of them in your head you'll be better off sticking around 6. My needs are pretty simple, so I just have one play list with all my music and turn shuffle on. That's really about the only way this device is practical for your Mazda.

One other draw back...although the RND button on your stereo will put a playlist into shuffle, pressing any other button cancels it (including the track forward button). So if you are shuffling and you don't like the song you hear, you have to press RND twice to move to the next song. Kind of hokey.

Hope this helps with your decision

·
Registered
419 Posts
The factory ipod adapter is SLOW i hate it. the audiolink unit is much better IMHO.

Zc

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just installed the OEM adapter for my video ipod into my Mazda 3, and I've got to try tttony123's method to see if it resolves my problems, but right now, when I press Disc + I get the next ARTIST, not the next playlist...

I don't know if this is just the way it was set on, or if I can't figure out these "easy to read and understand instructions" which shows how to install the thing into a Mazda 3 with the driver on the RIGHT side of the car... how big is the ipod in the US that they can't at least print the instructions for a LEFT side driver? Not a big problem to overcome, but you can understand how when you want to hear a song by Sting, Smashmouth, Garth Brooks, etc.. you have to push Disc + like 200+ times since its by ARTIST (and that depends upon the number of artists - and how well you've been entering them in itunes) it can get frustrating...

I've been looking all over for if / how to get to a playlist type setting and will try the technique by tttony123, hopefully good results. But with that, I do think the option where you can control your ipod may be good, as my wife was upset when she wasn't able to figure out how to listen to her podcasts as the ARTIST mode will not allow you to get into podcasts.... more to report soon (I hope).

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I found it easier to manage my playlists by giving them a number at the beginning of their name. Example: 01New Songs will appear first in your playlists because the number will override the alphabetical sequence.

Also, as for speed, it can depend on your iPod. A nano with flash memory will respond faster than a video with a hard drive.

AND most important to note is you can get control of your iPod back by rebooting it after it has been connected to the integration unit. The only annoyance is the display will flash on the last selection it was playing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can any of the owners of the ipod adapter tell me if it remembers song position when you turn the car off? Or does it start from the beginning of the current song (the manual kind of suggests it starts from the beginning)?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yes, it starts to play exactly where it stopped when you restart the car, even if you take it out. However, if you take it in your house, hook it up to your computer and make changes on your iPod it will not.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
i thought i had heard that, like the audiolink, you could take it off car control and go back to controlling it from the ipod through some sort of button push. you'd lose steering controls then, but youd at least be able to see what was playing again.

i dunno. im having a hard time understanding why its so hard to get reasonable functionalty out of an ipod adapter. i dunno if its apple-side or mazda-side, but there are enough seemless integrations in speakers and such to make you wonder why this is so hard.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have you checked out the NEO Ion adapter? They contacted me a couple of weeks ago to tell me that their new system is completely compatible with the 3 (full ipod control and steering wheel control/radio control). You can find them here: www.mp3yourcar.com. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that any ipod integration that deosn't allow you to see the name of the artist or song name is totally f^cking retarded? I have a 60 gig ipod full of music. Just how the hell would I navigate to say, artist RUSH, and then choose a particular album or song? HOKEY.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I say the heck with the ipod integration. If it doesn't display on the HU it seems kind of pointless. For me, I use the Belkin Auto Kit. It's basically a dock connector/charger that I plug into the outlet in my armrest. The Line Out from the Auto Kit plugs into the AUX input in the armrest (after passing through a ground loop isolator), and bingo... super clear sound from my ipod for less than 30 bucks.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_ID=149006

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to agree with mickberna. I have an 80 gig that is 3/4 of the way full and was stoked about having all my music at my finger tips while driving. I bought the adapter from Mazda, paid them to install it in my brand new 07 sport, and used it for about a day before I hooked the aux input back up. I was not happy with Mazda and the dealer was supposed to see about getting some of my money back....that was 4 weeks ago. If I'd found this site before I bought I would have never bought it.

It is an utter pain in the ass to use. And the more music you have the worse it going to be. It is wicked slow. You have no real idea where you are inside the list you are working on so I'd have to wait for a song to start to know what it was. If you press up or down to quick you advance to the next list type, ie artist, playlist, album, song, rather than just going up or down a couple of selections. I'd highly recommend trying to find someone who has it to see if you can live with it before you get it because the only way I can see it working well is with a small nano and only a couple of playlists.

The belkin/center console aux jack with a ground loop isolater is a rather simple way to go, it sounds rather good (but you have to have a ground loop isolator) and you can easily find what you want to listen to. There is a nice fat grove on the bottom center console storage for the cord to run through and if you have a rubber, non slip case it will sit on the drink holder lid and not go anywhere.

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW-

There are many aftermarket HU's that support full ipod integration these days. Sure it'll cost you but you'll kill 2 birds with one stone. You'll get full ipod integration AND better sound at the same time. Btw, now that I have had a taste of having my ipod fully integrated(sits in my glovebox) and connected via firewire(not 3.5mm) to my MP3 capable aftermarket HU, I can NEVER imagine having a car stereo setup without it. Sure you can use the Aux In jack, but it's still a pain to change songs while driving, and further when you use the Aux In jack it has lower volume for some reason. Last, the ALC control of the stock HU is not bypassed and your ipod volume changes when you slow down, speed up etc...regardless of whether ALC is set to off on the HU.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a new Mazda 3 and paid for the iPod connection. I used it for about 20 minutes before driving back to the dealer and asking for them to remove it. I've lost half my money as the dealer won't refund the labour cost, so I'll be writing to Mazda to get that back. There is no way this product is fit for the purpose.

I was doing the maths just now. Because of the fact that if you press the disk ^ button more than once per second it skips to the nest playlist, rather than progressing through the one you are in, it would take a full minute of incredibly accurate pressing to get to the 60th artist on your list. What if you have 20000 songs? 1000 artists? It would take 8 minutes to get to the 500th artist if you managed to press the key exactly every second. Whilst driving! Of course, if you get it wrong and press it more than once during any given second you will skip to the next playlist and have to start again at the beginning.

I can't believe that they have released this product in this form as it is utter rubbish.

So, does anyone know a good alternative? I'm using an iTrip at the moment but it's not the best way of playing stuff.

·
Registered
186 Posts
[quote author=driver8uk link=topic=65630.msg1379312#msg1379312 date=1178058080]
So, does anyone know a good alternative? I'm using an iTrip at the moment but it's not the best way of playing stuff.
[/quote]

See my post above. IMO, it's the best, cheapest way to set up your ipod. It's not integration, but it's clear sound that won't cost you a bundle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts