Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had any experience with the slotted/drilled rotors that are on eBay? there are some pretty good deals and they look really good to so i'm pretty interested but i don't know if i want to take a chance since most of the time you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
My rule of thumb when buying car parts, especially those that are of great importance (i.e. braking), stick with a brand you know and trust.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a good rule, you're so wise Fem :)

while i have had rotors replaced on my past vehicles, i never paid attention to what brand they are. i've always gotten my brake work done at Sears since my mechanic doesn't touch brakes so it's been whatever brand Sears uses. I guess now I'm looking for something that looks good and functions better.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
Thanks.

I think you can do far better than Sears. Why dosen't your mechanic do brakes? What mechanic dosen't?

On a side note - I put Brembo blanks on my Probe when I replaced the pads and rotors and what a difference. It was like night and day. I plan on using Brembo's again this time around for the 3.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know, i think he focuses more on drivetrain and engine problems.

I'm looking at Brembo or Wilwood, since I know those are two of the bigger names in brakes and function is awesome. I have a friends that have/had both and they said the same as you. How much did you pay for all 4 on your Probe if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
Another rule of thumb I have when it comes to cars and repairs is the place I have my car serviced needs to specialize in that and nothing else. Sears is a far cry from speciality and I wouldn't trust them father than I could spit at them. They are good for cheaper clothing and tools, but they will never touch my baby.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a pretty bad experience with Sears the last time I went - they told me that it was my rear pads that needed replaced, so they replaced them and on my way home i still noticed the squeaking so i turned around and took my car back and they looked at it again and said that the front ones needed replaced NOT the back ones. so they don't know what they're doing 100% and i know that i need to find a good brake place but other than that, sears doens't do anything to my vehicle, not even oil changes.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
csideforlife's rotors work and look just fine. the ebay rotors aren't really that bad, but i know there is one seller that isn't that great. use search, the thread is around here somewhere.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
of course now i search and a ton of threads come up. i heart our search feature.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would say, e-bay sellers (brake rotors for this case) offer good products too at a good price. Just ask the seller if the item is brand new or if they cover it with a warranty then you are good with that. They may not last a life time compared to branded first class/performance parts.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Have you looked into EBC steph?

I bought a set of EBC slotted front/rear rotors and Greenstuff pads for a pretty good price.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
[quote author=Hum link=topic=65650.msg1125013#msg1125013 date=1167423976]
Have you looked into EBC steph?

I bought a set of EBC slotted front/rear rotors and Greenstuff pads for a pretty good price.
[/quote]

How much and where if you don't mind me asking... I getting to the point where I have to do the rear brakes...

And any info on the Brembos?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
ebay is fine for brake rotors, just stay away from a seller called "wholesalepartsdirect", they scammed me, I'm still waiting for my credit card to finish with the fraud claim to get back to me.

As far as rotors go, I'd stay with solid rotors. And rotors are rotors really, they are just cast iron, nothing magical to them, no need to go overboard on it.

Also, brakes are easy, defy female stereotypes and do your own work, theres a great walkthrough on the forums. . .

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
eBay brands wouldn't be my first choice for something so important as braking components. Brembo components do rock, I also had their rotors on my Probe GT, and stopping was incredible.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
[quote author=ramosdominicano link=topic=65650.msg1125081#msg1125081 date=1167427163]
eBay brands wouldn't be my first choice for something so important as braking components. Brembo components do rock, I also had their rotors on my Probe GT, and stopping was incredible.
[/quote]

They don't make it for the 3 tho... or I can't find them...

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
[quote author=chisss link=topic=65650.msg1125086#msg1125086 date=1167427300]
[quote author=ramosdominicano link=topic=65650.msg1125081#msg1125081 date=1167427163]
[/quote]

They don't make it for the 3 tho... or I can't find them...
[/quote]

i was thinking this same thing for some reason. im almost positive they dont, or at least if they do make them, they are only for the 2.3. i just got EBC dimpled/slotted for xmas, with some greenstuff(front only on rotors and pads), but as far as stopping ability, i havent wailed on them yet, so i have no opinion as of now. ill give impressions next week after auto-x!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have cross-drilled E-bay rotors, no probs. My rears were toast because of those sorry ass rear break pads. got new EBC rear break pads and reused my fronts with no issues. The rotors were from some shop in New England I dont remember the name because it was like 6 moths ago. So far so good. They look great and the hats were painted black which looks great with my black calipers. They claimed they were brembo but I seriously doubt it. Had a little squeal at first but they quieted down after a few days. Dont really see any performance gain :( oh well..

I've used this companys rotors before when my girls focus ZX3 needed new rotors. No complaints.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts