Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this with a little story about why I'm in this situation.

Last fall, I ended up with 2 flat tires within about 2 weeks of each other. One was a nail in the middle of the tread and the other was a very small, but extremely sharp rock that ended up right on the shoulder of the tire. The nail puncture could be patched, but the shoulder puncture couldn't because it was too close to the sidewall. Naturally, the tire shop patched the easy one first, then called me and told me about the one they couldn't fix. As a result I have 3 good, mounted and balanced tires and one wheel without a tire. I also have TPMS installed on all 4 wheels yet. I just put them away for the winter and threw my snow tires on a month early so I wouldn't have to deal with it then.

Now I'm planning on buying a new set of wheels (18's this time) and tires to go with them. I don't plan on keeping the old set, but I'm not sure what the most logical way to sell them would be. I also want TPMS in the new wheels because that light drives me mad in the winter. As I see it, these are my options:

1) Demount the last three tires and take the TPMS off the old set. Sell all 4 old wheels as a set, sell the three good tires individually.
2) Buy new TPMS (these are apparently godawful expensive so I'm not to keen on that). Buy a new/used tire and mount/balance it and sell the old set as complete/ready to go.
3) Demount the last three tires, take all TPMS, buy new tire, remount/balance all 4 and sell as a set.

And there are several more combinations of the above. I'm thinking option 1 is my best bet since the tires are awful anyway (but expensive, LOL RS-A's) but they do only have at most 8,000 miles on them.
Also, before I get too invested in wheels, do TPMS fit on Rota Torques?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I would go with option 3. They will be worth more as a set. You want to keep the TPMS, as you mentioned, the cost.

Yes, Rota's are TPMS compatible.

·
Registered
358 Posts
There are some people who are just looking for a set of wheels... even without the TPMS. I would demount the tires first and grab the sensors and try and sell the wheels as a set. At least this way you won't have to go through the hassle of mounting a tire (which may not be the tires a buyer wants)... if the wheels don't sell then you can always go with option 3

·
Registered
97 Posts
[quote author=Badgerspeed link=topic=134652.msg2895818#msg2895818 date=1233159367]
There are some people who are just looking for a set of wheels... even without the TPMS. I would demount the tires first and grab the sensors and try and sell the wheels as a set. At least this way you won't have to go through the hassle of mounting a tire (which may not be the tires a buyer wants)... if the wheels don't sell then you can always go with option 3
[/quote]
Could not have said it any better myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts