Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My folks are buying me a new set of tires for my birthday next week. Hurray for getting older! I'm getting 225/40/18s to fit my OEM MS3 rims. I live and spend most of my time in Austin TX and the surrounding areas where snow and ice are not really a factor. I probably don't need an all weather setup. I want good grip, low noise, and good wet traction since my 3 is a daily driver. Based on reviews, I am considering the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 and the Continental SportContact 3.

Any suggestions and/or feedback on what other brands/models to consider would be very helpful and much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
You want 225/40/18 for the OEM rx-8 rims on a normal 3 ;)

EDIT: just realized you have the OEM MS3 wheels. They are a full inch narrower than the rx-8 wheels, not sure if a 225/40 tire is recommended for them...

If you want ultimate summer grip, get some Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star-Specs. They won't last quite as long as the models you've listed, but performance will be on a whole new level.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ fixed my typo. 224? doh! i know lots of members are running OEM MS3 wheels on there normal 3s. anybody know the recommended tire size?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Well if you look on tire rack, you'll see the recommended rim width for the tire size you're looking at. Most 225/40 tires recommend at least a 7.5" wide wheel. They will FIT on a 7" wheel for sure, just not sure if you wanna do that. They are the best size though in general for an 18" rim on the 3, so if they fit then I would go for it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Get the goodyear F-1 A/S. i love them i have a lil under 30,000 on them and probably get another 8,000- 10,000 out of them

·
Registered
57 Posts
Where are you driving. I like the Eagle F1 A/S if you are in a wetter or cooler area and are looking for year round use. If you want a true performance summer specific tire, i'd go with the Dunlops he recommended.

But the Dunlops MIGHT maybe get 25k if you are nice to them. more likely about 20k. Better performance is shorter life. But hey if someone was buying for me I'd go nuts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been narrowing it down since i got my car in oct. Settled on Nitto Neo Gen in mid Dec. Just got em recently from elementwheels.com (but still on winter tires for now so havent tried them yet). got em for these reasons:

-searched on here and lots of people had good words
-designed to wear evenly on cars that have increased inner tread wear (which the 3 does due to negative camber)
-gets great reviews on discount tire: http://tinyurl.com/NittoNeogenDiscountTireReviews
-tied falken for #1 all season ultra high performance tire on consumer reports
-really stick to road, hard to break loose
-good wet traction (some even say good snow traction, but I take that wiht a grain of salt)
-low noise
-not too expensive (depending where you get them)

·
Banned
487 Posts
[quote author=3TheHardWay link=topic=137091.msg2960840#msg2960840 date=1235588754]
I've been narrowing it down since i got my car in oct. Settled on Nitto Neo Gen in mid Dec. Just got em recently from elementwheels.com (but still on winter tires for now so havent tried them yet). got em for these reasons:

-searched on here and lots of people had good words
-designed to wear evenly on cars that have increased inner tread wear (which the 3 does due to negative camber)
-gets great reviews on discount tire: http://tinyurl.com/NittoNeogenDiscountTireReviews
-tied falken for #1 all season ultra high performance tire on consumer reports
-really stick to road, hard to break loose
-good wet traction (some even say good snow traction, but I take that wiht a grain of salt)
-low noise
-not too expensive (depending where you get them)
[/quote]

i am in same situation...i will have to seriously take a look at these. just from looking at the tread i thought they were sumer tires...but actually all seasons...the tread looks nice lol...and at a price of 103 per tire with free shipping....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts