Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This is my first post on this forum. First off, thanks to everyone for provdiing all of the valuable information on pricing (especially Lee). I'm a research freak when it comes to large purchases, and this site has proved very useful.

Here is my question.

I live in California, where the taxes are fairly steep (7.75%) and I'm used to 0% taxes growing up in Alaska.

My question is, would it be legal to purchase my car in Nevada and then change the tags to California? Do you know of anyone who has done this successfully?

Yeah, I'm cheap (lol). I plan on saving as much money as possible on my purchase!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I guess if you "officially" moved to Nevada, "lived" there for a while and then "moved" to California...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think you have to pay taxes in your resident state/county

I live in Orange Co and bought my car in LA County. LA County has a steep 8% tax whereas Orange Co has 7.75%. I was charged the proper tax of 7.75%.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NGN

Thanks, guys. It's most likely not worth the effort of buying in a different state. Hopefully I can get a price a few hundred below invoice with the graduation discount.

Hey, NGN, I'm in Orange County as well (Costa Mesa).

What did you end up paying for your Mazda 3?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am in Mission Viejo and work in Irvine!

Ended up paying $300 over invoice for a fully loaded hatchback minus leather.

My experience with the dealers in OC:
stay away from Philips(my opinion-they have the worst inventory)
Tustin guys only talked, they couldn't provide the car we wanted
Huntington Beach(Heritage) seemed pretty good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts