Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hagling with my local Mazda dealer. Unfortunately there is only one and it is conveniently located near my work. SO this dealer was the 1st choice incase I needed warranty work. But they keep trying to sell me a red MZ3 GT sedan (I want the aroura blue) and at a higher price than I am willing to while sacrificing my 1st color choice. (See my post in the "is this a good deal thread"
I know I should be working with multiple dealers, but I haven't but if I did and I got the exact car I wanted at another dealer, how awkward is it to use the local dealer for warranty work.
Or do others drive out of their way to go to the dealer they bought their car from??

·
Registered
782 Posts
There's no reason to go to the dealer you bought the car from for regular service. Just because you buy a car from a certain dealer doesn't mean that you'll get better treatment or your car will be serviced better. My family has purchased several new cars over the years and we've never been to the dealer we bought the car from for service, mainly because we got the best deals from dealers that were quite distant. We've never had any problems with bad service just because we didn't buy the car there.

At most dealerships, I doubt that the service managers even talk to the salespeople to find out which customer purchased the car at that particular dealership. A good service manager wants to win your continued confidence in his service so that you will return in the future.

As for warranty work, the dealership gets reimbursed by Mazda for the warranty work, so again you should feel no obligation or loyalty to the dealership that you purchased the car from. A dealership that doesn't do good service work on your car because you didn't buy the car from it will probably also not do good work on the car even if you did buy from it, so treat the car purchase and the service center as separate things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. But I was sorta asking it the other way around. Meaning I'd rather use the local Mazda for service since they are right on the way to work. I have been working with a sales man there but they have not been able to give me the deal on the 3 that I am willing to agree to.

So if I started working with another dealer out of town and get the price I want with them, then bring my new car for service back to the local dealership (because it is more convenient) it might be awkward to run into the other saleman who would not give me the deal I wanted. I have noproblem driving out of town to buy the car but rather not have to always drive out of town for service. Wait a minute. Since the Mazda 3 is such a good car, I shouldn't need service too much. :D I'm guessing oil changes are not warantee work.

So I guess I was asking if others avoid bringing their car in for warantee work to certain dealersship where they had worked with a salesman but never closed a deal with them. Could get awkward...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Here's an idea to consider: Try to get a good price in writing from the farther dealer and then see if the local dealer would be able to match or beat the price. If he knows that you'll be buying at that price from another dealer and he'll stand to lose the sale completely, the salesperson might be willing to budge from his previous offer. He might even be pleased that you were willing to give him the chance to make the sale.

But if he doesn't come down with his price, the other thing is, when I go to the dealer for service I never see the salespeople at all. I just drive right up to the service area. So... no awkward moments... :klavergreg:

·
Registered
338 Posts
stickcky, I was in a similar situation, where I bought my car at a dealer near my work, but bring it for oil changes to the one thats close to my house. First time I brought my car for an oil change I met him and he did ask me where I bought my mazda from. I told him where and that I got a better price, he said "good for you". Remember, that you as a customer are not obligated to them by any means. If they cannot deliver a car that you want and at a price that you are willing to pay, then its their loss, you should not feel bad for it. And as far as service go, you are paying for it, so there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
603 Posts
[quote author=stickcki link=topic=66257.msg1136727#msg1136727 date=1168141062]
thanks. But I was sorta asking it the other way around. Meaning I'd rather use the local Mazda for service since they are right on the way to work. I have been working with a sales man there but they have not been able to give me the deal on the 3 that I am willing to agree to.

So if I started working with another dealer out of town and get the price I want with them, then bring my new car for service back to the local dealership (because it is more convenient) it might be awkward to run into the other saleman who would not give me the deal I wanted. I have noproblem driving out of town to buy the car but rather not have to always drive out of town for service. Wait a minute. Since the Mazda 3 is such a good car, I shouldn't need service too much. :D I'm guessing oil changes are not warantee work.

So I guess I was asking if others avoid bringing their car in for warantee work to certain dealersship where they had worked with a salesman but never closed a deal with them. Could get awkward...
[/quote]

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about warranty work for the reasons stated here. I've had my car for a little over a year, and aside from tightening some nuts and bolts (and lubing up the moonroof which was making an annoying noise - some grit/pollution I suspect) all is well. There's two dealerships that are maybe 3 to 7 minutes closer to my place than where I got mine, but I go back to the place of purchase b/c the service department is v. good - and the dealership is relatively quiet, so line-ups aren't much of a problem at all. Contrast with Toyota owners I know who have to book two weeks in advance. Suckers. ;)

So yeah, I wouldn't worry about awkwardness at all like the other posters said. :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
[quote author=stickcki link=topic=66257.msg1136411#msg1136411 date=1168125524]
I have been hagling with my local Mazda dealer. Unfortunately there is only one and it is conveniently located near my work. SO this dealer was the 1st choice incase I needed warranty work. But they keep trying to sell me a red MZ3 GT sedan (I want the aroura blue) and at a higher price than I am willing to while sacrificing my 1st color choice. (See my post in the "is this a good deal thread"
I know I should be working with multiple dealers, but I haven't but if I did and I got the exact car I wanted at another dealer, how awkward is it to use the local dealer for warranty work.
Or do others drive out of their way to go to the dealer they bought their car from??

[/quote]to answer this question, just put yourself in the place of the dealer you DID NOT buy from. How would you feel ? ?

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=stickcki link=topic=66257.msg1136411#msg1136411 date=1168125524]

[/quote]

Keep in mind that if you buy out of town and then expect the local dealer to provide you with warranty only service, you will receive less than preferential treatment. I see this on a daily basis. You will be made to wait longer for appointments, your convience will NOT be considered and I have personally witnessed dealerships holding parts for their customers when someone who bought elsewhere was without a car to drive.
The "awkwardness" with the salesman isn't even a factor to consider.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The dealership you didn't end up buying the car from will NOT remember you if you come in for warranty work. Like someone said before, sales people and the service department are two different areas.

I go to my dealership I got the car from, and say hi to the guy that sold me MY car and he doesn't even remember me. lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts