Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of buying a new car and I've been looking at a few but I'm pretty intrested in the Mazda 3.

Specs:
2005 Mazda 3 iSedan 4D
2.0L 4-Cyl
63,000 Miles
Has Premium Sound (not sure if there's anything else premium)
Great car condition (like one scratch barely visible) and very clean as well
For: $9000

Any opinions on this deal? And anything I should know about owning a Mazda? This will be my first car "deal" so any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Check the engine bay for the passenger side motor mount. Those usually fail, and it cost about $100 for stock replacement.
The most common problems with mazda 3. Check if it's leaking oil or rattling. (gotta remove it to see if it's rattling though)

Make sure all fluid has been changed and filled up. Transmission fluid usually go bad within 10k-15k if it's automatic.

As of that being said, IDK much else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is from a dealership so I assume they've inspected it and fixed everything. The interior and exterior looks amazingly clean and sharp.

By the way, it's a manual transmission.

·
Registered
178 Posts
[quote author=PoPaLoT link=topic=187695.msg3961675#msg3961675 date=1300050372]
The car is from a dealership so I assume they've inspected it and fixed everything. The interior and exterior looks amazingly clean and sharp.

By the way, it's a manual transmission.
[/quote]

Regardless, if it's from the dealership. Inspect it for your own risk. I bought my mz3 hb from a Mazda dealership, it was also certified pre-own and the motor mount went within 2k of driving. Meaning, light on the pedal and never exceed 3k rpm. Oil was leaked and it was rattling, dealer said it was replaced before I bought the car, but showing there was no document to proof it. Later found out it was replaced at 36k from previous owners. (car was bought at 43k)

There's a reason why we call dealership, stealership.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know much about cars but I've read lots of reviews about this car/model/year and it seems great. Is going above 3k RPM a really big deal for this car? My Explorer goes around 3k RPM often (because I want the acceleration and speed) and it runs amazing imo.

Of course I'll inspect the car as much as I can looking for things I know about. Should I bring a mechanic to take a look? Seems like that's recommended when it comes to private party deals but what about dealership deals?

And what do you think of that deal? Is it high for a dealership? What price should I aim for (some websites say 10%-15% below the asking price)?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nothing is wrong going past 3k rpm, but considering how the motor mount broke even within below rpm, it's amazing how poor quality it is. I don't think anything else in Mazda 3 is wrong.

As for the dealership, bring an trusted mechanic. I brought my dad, he's been a mechanic for years and worked for Toyota dealership before. My base prices for my 2008 mz3 hb was 14,890 then after looking through out the car, we found numerous problems. Prices went down to 13,000.

9k sounds a bit too much for a 6 years old car. I suggested lower it and if you find a problem with the car. You can definiety lower the car prices. Especially since it isn't CPO too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the motor mount a real critical part or is it more like a "should have" part?

I've been looking at the suggested retail price on KBB (Kelley Blue Book) and it says $9,715 so according to that it seems like I got a great deal. However when I look at Edmund's dealer retail price, it says $8,438.

I know there's like a big scratch about 8 inches on the trunk, haven't test drove it yet (I will soon though). What price should I aim for? $7,000?

By the way I really appreciate the help, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, motor mount is a must have parts. It's what keeps the engine steady and secure. It's not a big deal, and most of the time, people don't know they have a busted motor mount till they open the hood.

It does affect the driving habit just a bit. Makes your car "wheel hop" and you get tons of vibration.

7k sounds like a great deal. Especially since it's an isedan and 2.0. Considering, hatchback cost more too. Just don't let the dealership eat you alive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well when I test-drive it I'll definitely check if there's too much vibration and check under the hood.

I'm thinking of setting my deal at $7,000 and see what the salesman puts out. I love this Mazda but I'm willing to walk out if it gets too messy. What should the max price be? I'm thinking maybe $8,500?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it was me I would try and find a 2.3L . The 2.0 has some get up and go and is a good car, but the 2.3 will give you a little more power and make driving it more fun.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, my experience with KBB over the years has shown them to consistently be what I'd consider unreasonably high on their values. NADA or Edmunds are more realistic IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts