Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having trouble with my garage door going the whole way up when it gets cold (it is 0 this am), needless to say I was tired half awake and didn't notice the door stopped half way up. I backed up heard some sweet noises and realized I busted the heck out of the antenna.

Other then the aesthetics of it at this point, I am worried water can get down in and ruin my headliner. I know the sharkfin is out there, but I don't know if it would work as the base is pretty messed up.

Just looking for suggestions on a fix.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You are going to need a new base... and I would suggest a sharkfin to cover the dents. Water will definitely get in there and do some damage if you don't act quickly. Most antennae kits from the factory are about 100-200 bucks which includes the cables and everything. I would at least get that now and see if you can get the metal back into shape.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A new base is going to cost $115 from my local Mazda dealership. I guess my main concern is getting a new base on there and getting the roof sealed. I will take care of that then look into the sharkfin.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Make sure you're getting the correct base from the dealership.

There are 3 different ones.

I did this SAME EXACT thing this past summer, and ended up having to remove my headliner (what a pain in the ass), buying a new antenna base (glad I don't have SAT radio!) and had about $200 worth of PDR work done to fix the roof before it was all said and done...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=Nliiitend1 link=topic=134477.msg2891163#msg2891163 date=1232990852]

I did this SAME EXACT thing this past summer, and ended up having to remove my headliner (what a pain in the ass), buying a new antenna base (glad I don't have SAT radio!) and had about $200 worth of PDR work done to fix the roof before it was all said and done...
[/quote]

I was told they have 3 different bases, I gave him my VIN to get the correct one ordered. Hopefully the metal will not be a problem I am really not in position financially for a hit like that.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i had this problem 2 months ago. i was driving and the car in front of me lost the undercarrieage shield. broke my antenna. i had it looking like that for two months (rain snow), nothing has leaked, it's pretty tight there. all the hardware still works. i recommend ordering the shark fin. it fits perfectly. shark fin will come with a connecter, that will connect perfectly. you gonna use the gasket (supplied) and you gonna put it on front metal plates. if you look at the pic, it's the front most metal plates part. Thats the antenna connector, the ring (supplied) will fit very very nicely right over that, no modifications required. i just did the install 2 weeks ago. AND this shark fin will cover most of surrounding dents. although reception with the shark fin is not as good, but its good enough for me. plus shark fin was $85, my dealer charged 250 for the base and antenna.

·
Registered
425 Posts
[quote author=Muffmonster link=topic=134477.msg2891238#msg2891238 date=1232993110]
[quote author=Nliiitend1 link=topic=134477.msg2891163#msg2891163 date=1232990852]

[/quote]

I was told they have 3 different bases, I gave him my VIN to get the correct one ordered. Hopefully the metal will not be a problem I am really not in position financially for a hit like that.
[/quote]

This is the same method I used to make sure I got the right one.

I may have had a bit more roof damage than you (the bottom of the door actually contacted my roof a little bit), as simply buying a shark fin and installing it over the base would not have covered all of the the dents.

Have fun with the headliner! :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=134477.msg2891258#msg2891258 date=1232993783]
i had this problem 2 months ago. i was driving and the car in front of me lost the undercarrieage shield. broke my antenna. i had it looking like that for two months (rain snow), nothing has leaked, it's pretty tight there. all the hardware still works. i recommend ordering the shark fin. it fits perfectly. shark fin will come with a connecter, that will connect perfectly. you gonna use the gasket (supplied) and you gonna put it on front metal plates. if you look at the pic, it's the front most metal plates part. Thats the antenna connector, the ring (supplied) will fit very very nicely right over that, no modifications required. i just did the install 2 weeks ago. AND this shark fin will cover most of surrounding dents. although reception with the shark fin is not as good, but its good enough for me. plus shark fin was $85, my dealer charged 250 for the base and antenna.
[/quote]

So from my picture and what is left there I should be able to hook up a shark fin?

I don't think I have even used the actual am/fm radio once in over a year. So reception doesn't bother me, I would like it to work, but not a deal breaker. Basically I want to seal the roof up so nothing leaks down, and fix the uglyness.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
^ actually no.

it's those two little metal plates in the front, they stick out, and have a space in between. the "O" ring provided is going right over those two plates, very tightly, like it was meant for it. the shark fin is pretty big, and you have a lot of play with it. i had a little dent 2 inches behind the antenna and i was able to adjust shark fin right over that. if you have it in the front of antenna you can slide it over that. Shark fin is pretty big, and you can move it around towards the front or the back of the car.

make sure though that that circuit is still connected, easiest way to do so, take a metal object (even a screw), turn on the radio, and when you touch those two metal plates with mettalic object you should hear radio reacting to it. mind you it's not the round thing in the middle of the circuit, it's the two mettal plates toward the front.
http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=122&products_id=294

this is what i ordered, very high quality, and you can pay extra $5 and you'll have it within a week, and it's like 20 minutes for the install. no need to take of a headliner.
if you can do another pic, i can tell you how much of damage it'll cover.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=134477.msg2893253#msg2893253 date=1233068742]
^ actually no.

it's those two little metal plates in the front, they stick out, and have a space in between. the "O" ring provided is going right over those two plates, very tightly, like it was meant for it. the shark fin is pretty big, and you have a lot of play with it. i had a little dent 2 inches behind the antenna and i was able to adjust shark fin right over that. if you have it in the front of antenna you can slide it over that. Shark fin is pretty big, and you can move it around towards the front or the back of the car.

make sure though that that circuit is still connected, easiest way to do so, take a metal object (even a screw), turn on the radio, and when you touch those two metal plates with mettalic object you should hear radio reacting to it. mind you it's not the round thing in the middle of the circuit, it's the two mettal plates toward the front.
http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=122&products_id=294

this is what i ordered, very high quality, and you can pay extra $5 and you'll have it within a week, and it's like 20 minutes for the install. no need to take of a headliner.
if you can do another pic, i can tell you how much of damage it'll cover.

[/quote]

So you're saying the newer antenna base doesn't have a screw connector at all?

Also looking at the pic again is the antenna wire even attached to the circuit board?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
^huh?

if you look at the antenna (when it's not broken). you have the antenna itself, that screws into the base. the base has that place where you screw in the antenna, and that place is connected to those two mettal plates, boxy looking thing (i don't think it's connected by a wire, but not sure). the broken piece in the very front (if that's what you talking about) is plastic clip that's not needed.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=134477.msg2895752#msg2895752 date=1233156725]
^huh?

if you look at the antenna (when it's not broken). you have the antenna itself, that screws into the base. the base has that place where you screw in the antenna, and that place is connected to those two mettal plates, boxy looking thing (i don't think it's connected by a wire, but not sure). the broken piece in the very front (if that's what you talking about) is plastic clip that's not needed.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was talking about the black thing towards the front... I thought that was the terminus of the cable going into the car. What you're saying makes sense, that the screw receiver is attached to the broken off piece, but that it connects to those metal tabs. That means that while he can't screw the sharkfin onto the base, he can just attach it to those. :goodjob:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=134477.msg2896150#msg2896150 date=1233167681]
[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=134477.msg2895752#msg2895752 date=1233156725]
^huh?

[/quote]

Yeah, I was talking about the black thing towards the front... I thought that was the terminus of the cable going into the car. What you're saying makes sense, that the screw receiver is attached to the broken off piece, but that it connects to those metal tabs. That means that while he can't screw the sharkfin onto the base, he can just attach it to those. :goodjob:
[/quote]

:lol: thanks, i can be complicated sometimes :)

exactly. the shark fin comes with a wire, on the end of the wire, there's o-ring, that o-ring goes over those tabs very tightly.

it was a perfect fix for me, i saved $180, and i covered a big dent... as far as the looks, well it's not bad and it grows on you. top notch quality

1 - 15 of 15 Posts