Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Fellow TM3 member here.

Ive got an 06 GS Sedan, basically its been burning oil for quite some time apparently, I switched over to synthetic and its slowed down quite substancially, but now I fear it may be getting worse. It seems to be going through my exhaust pipe, i have loads of carbon deposit. The fumes also smell like gas. I had it up on a hoist and I also noticed a bit of oil near before the first cat.. Im not sure if thats the cause? I dont see leaks on my driveway.. Could I be burning but the issue be small? I dont want to find out I need a whole new motor, maybe it can be somthing that mazda can fix? They keep telling me because im missing 2 oil changes that the previous owner of this car had, that they cant warrant a new motor.

Help?

·
Registered
804 Posts
if your exhaust smells of raw gas, you are probably running too rich (ie the fuel isn't burning) you have no CELs?
It sounds like it's been driven pretty hard and the valve stem seals are shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah actually, I had a CEL for about 2 months, It since dissapeared.. It would come on and off too.. I had it checked several times and its the cat thats shot.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If it's consuming oil, go heavier. Try 15W-40 or 20W-50, depending on climate.

My buddy's Civic has consumed quite a bit of oil for the last 10 years, so burning oil does not necessarily indicate your engine is on its way out. The 15W-40 really slowed down the consumption. Just don't use it below about -20C. If you need something for temperatures colder than that, you could try a 0W-40 or 5W-40 or just regularly add 5W-30 (which my buddy does for our cold winters).

How is your fuel economy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry i havent replied, I get stuck on TM3 and forget . Basically, Fuel consumption is CRAP. I cant believe how crummy it actually is. The exhaust fumes smell like gas , the car bogs at low rpms and i can see some hopping in the RPMS.. up down up down if i give it little gas.. Ive got a fujita intake, not sure if my MAF is messed up.. but im pretty sure somthing isnt right.. I got the CEL again.. but who knows maybe this time it means somthing else :S

·
Registered
82 Posts
[quote author=BDan link=topic=139787.msg3036278#msg3036278 date=1238750134]
Sorry i havent replied, I get stuck on TM3 and forget . Basically, Fuel consumption is CRAP. I cant believe how crummy it actually is. The exhaust fumes smell like gas , the car bogs at low rpms and i can see some hopping in the RPMS.. up down up down if i give it little gas.. Ive got a fujita intake, not sure if my MAF is messed up.. but im pretty sure somthing isnt right.. I got the CEL again.. but who knows maybe this time it means somthing else :S
[/quote]

my car does the same sorta um i just put some heavy oil in it and trying that... either the seats are gone or i may have a fried ring... um the rpm's jumping try removing the throttle body and cleaning the back side of the butterfly valve you prolly have oil build upthere... you might think about replacing your pcv valve which is located under the intake manifold... cheap really just need a new valve, some intake gaskets possibly and some time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts