Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok with the anticipation of the BSD to arrrive tomorrow, I ventured out to Advanced Auto Parts and got the necessary supplies to complete this mod. I am really excited about doing this modification. I am personally not doing this because I don't have a garage and it's cold as a duck outside.:) I am most likely getting this done at www.kasperskorner.com I am going to list the items I purchased and if anybody notices anything wrong or that I forgot something please tell me.:) This may help with the installation instruction as far as materials. The list of items is as follows:

6x Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5w-20 Motor Oil

Purolator Premium Plus Oil Filter L15505

Permatex Gasket remover

Permatex Ultra Grey RTV Silicone

Permatex High Strength Threadlocker Red Gel

AmPro Heavy Duty Gasket Scraper

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Re: I am ready for my BSD!

obvious items:

You'll need a container to catch the oil because dumping it into the storm drain is bad. :) hehe
ALso get shorty... a towel... for the mess you guys will make. :klavergreg:

Oh and the special oil filter socket if you want to torque the plastic housing to spec. (Or a normal "grip" wrench I guess... but that's risky) Just don't let it get over torqued of course.

If you decided to change to a spin on filter then you'll need a Purolator or Pure one PL20195, or Fram PH3600 for oversize if this is the case.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ok thought that bad word would be edited out...-_-

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I last thing bout this. Do I have to unhook my negative battery terminal?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts

hahaha no.

anything that is not electrical doesn't require you to unhook your battery.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

[quote author=the415 link=topic=71432.msg1257886#msg1257886 date=1173427912]
hahaha no.

anything that is not electrical doesn't require you to unhook your battery.
[/quote]

I didn't think so but thought I read instructions somewhere to do that...lol. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts

oh ok...no prob.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts

if you read most instructions, they tell you to unhook the battery for everything. personally, I WOULD disconnect the battery. You dont want to be playing around inside the engine with the battery connected. What if something happened and the starter engeges? You might lose some fingers.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts

That would take mad skills to engage the starter. Heck I rarely unhook the battery cable even when I am doing electrical work. In the case of most items on the car they are not provided power with the car off (like replacing a light fixture in a house with the switch off). Course anything near the fuse box/battery I unhook it then.
-Matt

·
Registered
9,388 Posts

[quote author=edrection link=topic=71432.msg1258014#msg1258014 date=1173448249]
if you read most instructions, they tell you to unhook the battery for everything. personally, I WOULD disconnect the battery. You dont want to be playing around inside the engine with the battery connected. What if something happened and the starter engeges? You might lose some fingers.
[/quote]

if your luck is that bad, just kill yourself now. hahahaha.

do you unplug your batter when you change your oil? the bsd install is just an oil change with a few extra steps.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

if you unplug the battery then the ecu will go back in learning mode and you will not be able to see any diferences that the mod caused

after unpluging the battery the ecu will go in the stock map and the engine will answer diferently to tb input then after a couple hundred km, just do the bsd without discoonecting the battery and you will be able to see the diference

good luck on the bsd

·
Registered
9,388 Posts

that is not correct.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts

yep, thats not correct. The BSD is removing dead weight. You will feel a diffrence no matter what.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Just a reminder this is getting done tomorrow from www.carv2.com. I will post my feelings on this mod later on tomorrow. I am anxious for this, :)

·
Registered
9,388 Posts

don't get your hopes up too much.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

[quote author=the415 link=topic=71432.msg1269620#msg1269620 date=1173986679]
don't get your hopes up too much.
[/quote]

:(!?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

[quote author=edrection link=topic=71432.msg1269644#msg1269644 date=1173987172]
He means you wont be on the cover of Import Tuners because of the BSD. :D
[/quote]

But that's my dream...lol. :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

[quote author=The Spaz link=topic=71432.msg1269658#msg1269658 date=1173987701]
[quote author=edrection link=topic=71432.msg1269644#msg1269644 date=1173987172]
He means you wont be on the cover of Import Tuners because of the BSD. :D
[/quote]

But that's my dream...lol. :)
[/quote]
same 4 most of us 8)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Well the BSD is done. Dropped it off this morning around 10am at www.carv2.com. The bad news is due to weather I am unable to pick my car up until tomorrow. It took them 1.5 hours to complete. They showed me the work and it is all done except they have to put the oil pan back up. Also they recommended it stay overnight too to allow the gasket to cure. It stinks I couldn't see how it felt tonight but didn't want to risk driving my 3 home in the bad weather. Anyway I hope to give you an update on it tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts