Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting to feel that these tires arent getting very good grip in wet to somewhat wet weather.. i seem to get a lot of tire spin even when i let off the line lightly.

Anyone have the same problems as me or is it just shitty michigan weather that i have to deal with? :)

Also.. what are some good aftermarket wheels that are good in wet and dry for the speed3... not sure how those Kuhmos i keep hearing about are in wet/snowy conditions.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I believe the tires are re050 that come stock on the speed 3. We got them on out slk350 and they grip decently, but compared to the so3s that i have on the 3 they are weak. however, I do believe these are max summer tires and are not intended to be driving through snow or ice or anything like that and when its in belowing or near freezing temps, the compound on the tire hardens up and therefore you dont get good drip anymore.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...YR8RE050AXL&fromCompare1=yes&minSpeedRating=Y gives a explanation for it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are you driving your speed 3 in Michigan weather right now? It's far too cold, icy, and snowy for those tires to be effective. Be VERY careful!

I live in South East Michigan and I'm on full pledged winter tires right now. (Nitto NT-SN1's - 225/40/18 93V)

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Our summer tires are like ice skateing in freezing weather

And not up to par with the power the ms3 puts out and on wet roads

It will pay off when summer comes, or A/S tires would be a better option

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah.. im in SE Michigan also... i wasnt sure how these tires are... i thought about getting a whole new set for spring to early fall use but put those on some new wheels...

i know these tires just spin like a top on these cold wet mornings going to work... i get that freakin wheel hop from hell at times cause it has a hard time getting traction with so much torque in this car.... so i guess i need to find some good A/S tires to throw on the stock wheels and get a nice set of tires to put on that Kyowa wheels i want to get.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
yes they are alot better then the RSA's

I had a 2004 Mazda3 with those

The RSA do last alot longer though as the RE050 have a 16,000 life span (120 i think)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=70887.msg1246775#msg1246775 date=1172966240]
yes they are alot better then the RSA's

I had a 2004 Mazda3 with those

The RSA do last alot longer though as the RE050 have a 16,000 life span (120 i think)
[/quote]

actually 140

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've had my MS3 for a few weeks now and one of the 1st things I did was order a set of 16" rims and Bridgestone Blizzak all-weather tires from tirerack.com and installed them myself when they arrived the day after I ordered them. The stock tires are for wamr pavement only and the cold/wet/icy roads here in MI are not safe for those tires!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts