Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this forum about 5 minutes ago. I checked this topic using the search feature, but didn't find what I am looking for. Sorry for the bandwidth if this topic has been covered before (as it probably has).

This afternoon my wife and I purchased a 2007 phantom blue mica Mazda 3 5-door, 5 speed. We'll be picking it up tomorrow and I'd like to know--before we drive away from the dealership--what the break in requirements are. In particular, is there and RPM limit for some number of miles?

If there is anything else I should know at this point I'd appreciate the input. (I'll, of course, read the manual when I get it.)

We are looking forward to having this car which will be used for our daily commute, shopping, an occasional trip to Boston (we're in Central NJ) to see relatives, etc.

Thanks for the input.

Ken

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Dealer told me 1000 miles, under 4K RPM to be on the safe side. After 3 months, I'm a little over 1000 miles. No problems, took out the intake resonator, sounds great.

·
Registered
204 Posts
[quote author=Vegasdriver link=topic=65613.msg1123870#msg1123870 date=1167352733]
I don't think it matters in these new engines.
Dealer told me nothing.
I hit the pedal hard when I got it and have no problems.
[/quote]

exactly! from day one this car was meant to be driven! 65K miles later and I am still driving it hard!

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is soo much debate about break in periods and things like that. I think the best way is just to do what the manual says.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote There is soo much debate about break in periods and things like that. I think the best way is just to do what the manual says.
[/quote]

I agree. I've gone through this issue with several cars and motorcycles. I have finally decided to just follow the manual.

Ken

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agreed! Even if what the service manager or "salesman Carl" tells you sounds good, it is hard to disagree with the break in procedure in the manual because it is IN WRITING.

Verbals can be denied. Always look for what is in writing.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=Ken Corsun link=topic=65613.msg1127930#msg1127930 date=1167659028]
I agree. I've gone through this issue with several cars and motorcycles. I have finally decided to just follow the manual.

Ken
[/quote]

Motorcycles are a different animal altogether, most of their engine building resembles that of race engine builders as opposed to automobile manufacturers who have less stringent maint. schedules.
As for mine, I drove it like I stole it during the test drive and almost every day since and it's doing just fine. I'm a believer that if you break em in hard, they'll last long. Whatever you choose to do, Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just bought my Mazda3 2 weeks ago. Here's what the 2007 Mazda3 owner's manuals says:

"No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy and life of your Mazda.

- Don't race the engine.
- Don't maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
- Don't drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
- Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
- Avoid full-throttle starts."

There's nothing in there about not revving to redline or not going fast. I was told the same thing by service managers before I test drove the Mazda3, Mazdaspeed3 and other cars.

The bottom line is that for most of us, we should drive normally, but not use cruise control during the first 600 miles. For those of you that like to drive very aggresively, take it easy for a while. Don't drive extreme.

I believe that it's not good to baby the car during break-in. It's good to rev the engine once in a while to close to redline. I've been told that by every service manager I've asked over the last 25 years.

Hope that helps.

Demosthenes

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. They sound similar to those discussed on various motorcycle boards. As I mentioned, I decided to follow the manual. I now have almost 1,000 miles on the car and I'll be bringing it in for an oil/filter change. That's an other worn out thread--frequency of oil changes--and I really don't want to start it here. However, I like to change the oil after break in and then I'll do it every 3,000 miles since the car uses non-sythetic (and at $30 a pop it's cheap). I know, I know, this is too often and not necessary with modern engines...but I feel better and to me it's worth it.

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts