Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sport GT should be hear shortly, probably a couple weeks. Lava Orange, 5sp, leather, moonroof.

Just wondering, does anyone know of any good sites for breaking in a new vehicle or even better does anyone have any specific tips for me.

This is my first new purchase, have always driven sloppy seconds, but not anymore...by the way I can hardly wait to drive this car again. They rule!!!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
04Mazda3SportGT said:
Just wondering, does anyone know of any good sites for breaking in a new vehicle or even better does anyone have any specific tips for me.
Thanks
hmm.. get a crowbar and smash your window, that should break into the car... :lol: LOL couldn't resist :)) :twisted:

·
Registered
6,290 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey that is my Car!

Well I guess I won't be the only one with this car in Saskatoon. I purchased the exact same car (Orange, Leather, 5 spd) and the end of January. See you on the street

Jay

·
Registered
256 Posts
Meh. Just don't floor it for the first 500-1000 miles. And don't drive cross country on the freeway at a constant speed. All will be well. The break in period is "unofficial" anyway.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Break-in in new cars is not as specific as it used to be. The links above should provide the answers. The manual says 600 miles. Just don't redline it or floor it or maintain constant speed/RPM's and you should be fine. Also, try not to burn up your brakes for a while either.

Craig

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yeah, like everyone here (and those other links) will tell you, the key is to drive it all over the map, in different types of roads, and certainly all aspects of the RPM scale.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Greetings from another Saskatoonian - well sorta, used to live there but moved out to Warman.

I've heard two schools of thought on break-in, either break it in easy or break it in hard. It's an argument that's been ongoing in automotive and motorcycle groups for years now.

The standard, historical break-in has been to do it easy - limit rpm, speed, avoid full throttle acceleration and sudden stops for the first few thousand km.

The second school of thought is to do it hard. The argument behind this is that modern engines are put together far better than they were in the past. The machining of parts is far more accurate, and there are far fewer "high spots" that need to be worn down, which negates the need to take it easy. Also, advocates of this theory say that in order to properly seat the piston rings and wear them into the cylinder walls you need to subject them to high pressure - the type that's only found under hard acceleration. One advocate went so far as to say that the a motor *must* be redlined within the first 20 miles in order to ensure proper seating, which would result in the least amount of engine oil blowby and the best power outputs.

I wasn't sure which argument to believe, as they both have their valid points. I simply chose to take a middle route - drive it like I would normally drive. The only thing special that I've been doing is avoiding extended, repeated high rpm operation. Even that isn't so special, as I rarely drive my cars that hard anyhow (the motorcycle is another matter entirely!).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I broke in my engine the hard way. When I had the car, it was 9km. I left my car on for about 5 minutes to warm up, once temperature gauge at 45 degrees North East direction, smack right through the whole rpm range! Like Hawker said, one of the theories for doing this is to properly seat the piston rings and wear them into the cylinder walls. I also asked my dealer about the break-in period before I got the keys, and he said there is no break-in periods with these new MZR engines. I ride my car hard almost all the time in my first 1000km, and after the 1000km, I had it serviced and oil changed.

Some people have noticed that their cars were 'tuned down' (i.e. less powerful) after the first service. For me, absolutely no difference. I wonder if it could be due to this 'drive hard' break-in strategy??

Just for you guys information, I did redline the car within the first 30-50 kms when new, but only to redline 6500 rpm. Before my first servicing, ~900-950km, I started taking beyond 6500 rpm to around 6800-7000 rpm (from australian wheels magazine, review states the engine sings heartily to 7100 rpm.)

This is my first new car, and I have had no problems breaking-in the engine hard. Take my advice, and rev the shit out of it, haha!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.