Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Black7 said:
You don't have to worry about metal particles in todays engines
Not true.

Go hit up 6club and check out the UOA's and the pictures of the metal filings in the filters if ya want to see that ;)

You are right that it is indeed LESS of a concern though, than it once was.
I agree - I didn't mean to imply that there would be no filings, only less to a point that it is not a concern.

· Registered
16,597 Posts
Some S2000 owners did some research on the elusive "break-in oil" and the only difference with oil from the factory is a high silicon content from all the metal getting worn in. There is no such thing as break in oil, I am gonna switch to full synthetic at about 3000kms.

· Registered
9 Posts
We all want our new baby treated right. But lets try to get past the emotional part and look at the mechanics. The internal parts need to "break in" or experience some ware. So the "break in oil" needs to allow this. I would be willing to bet that the dealer who mentioned "break in oil" had a prior customer who asked if they could use synthetic oil right away. Synthetic oil is too slick for proper break in. Once the parts have mated we can change the oil or leave it alone untill the manual recommends the first change. Why do we change oil in the first place? It breaks down over time and use. That break down reduces it's ability to lubricate. Fresh oil, once the engine is broken in, can NEVER hurt.
Hope this helps.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.