Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all,

Four months after committing to a MS3, a Silver GT came into our life this last Monday. As usual, work goes crazy and I haven't even had time to post to the board, but I wanted to get some thoughts down, if only to make the guys waiting feel better about their purchase.

Unlike most of the folk here, we came to the MS3 a little by accident. Our other car is a Volvo V50 T5 AWD and before the laughter begins, it has been a great small family car and it moves well. The car prior to that was a troublesome Jetta VR-6. We needed a second car and began to look around and get depressed.

I was originally fancing a Honda Civic Si. I took one for a test drive and came away underwhelmed. It is a spritely car, but it just didn't do it for me. Plus I was utterly embarassing at driving it for all sorts of reasons.

We were looking at a Mazda 3 and it was the wife who pointed out the speed back in October while thumbing through Edmunds/Cars/autowhatever.

After about two weeks of researching every review, we put our money down and waited... and waited. First a quick mention of the dealer. Every time I say this, I know I will burn in hell for it, but we have nothing but good stuff to say about Southern States here in Raleigh, NC. Jeff and Chad have kept us informed on the cars progress all the way along and while Leo may have been a bit ahead of them, they contacted me by phone and email pretty much weekly giving me the latest. They were extremely easy to deal with, absolutely no tricks, traps or funny business. The car arrived Monday afternoon and they had it ready to go when I got off work. Chad took me out to put some fuel in it and demonstrate the car, get us through the paper work. If you are in the Triangle and are looking for MS3, be sure to pay them a visit and ask for 'em by name. They will do you a good deal, no pressure. Also, they have a fab deal for tires/service as well, something very handy for a car like the MS3...

So, to the family guy, pre-break in review:

The car is an insane little beast. If the Volvo is a sedate and swedish massage, albiet a light pressure turbo one, the MS3 is like getting beaten to a pulp by a night club bouncer. I have nothing against the Civic Si specifically, but the MS3 completely pisses all over it and goes and steals its girlfriend. The instrumentation is more sensible, the engine is more usable, the gear shift is far easier. It is a real sweetheart of a car. It is this girl next door with the multiple body piercings. It reminds me of the spirit of an old 70s Mitsu Lancer I used to have as a first car, except with 1000 more horsepower. To summarize, it is enormous fun. It is an experience to drive it to work. Something completely out of the ordinary.

So while wanting to rip your head off, it is a completely sensible car. It is happier at 65 miles per hour than the Volvo is. It is comfortable, it rides on rails and it goes like a cut snake. Others may have reported rattles, but my late Dec build version is tight as a drum. Not a squeak or rattle to be found.

Now it isn't all extraordinary. The car is relatively loud, but that appears deliberate. It was only when I took the wife and child for a ride that I really noticed it. Wind and road noise are actually pretty low, but the engine makes itself known, particularly when you have your foot _off_ the gas. That being said, the wife got in it and had it under control in short order. It is an easy car to drive. She likes it.

The interior is a bit of a breakfast of plastics, some bits good some bits not so good. Seats are firm and pretty comfortable.

I can see where Top Gear and others have whined about feel. The steering is remarkably heavy in the center position, but it is more of a loveable quirk than a problem. No problems turning, but small adjustments at highway speeds are more work than the Volvo or the Jetta.

Fuel economy is not stellar, so far reporting about 26 mpg for my commute to work, a number we know is over the true figure from other posts. Regardless, it is not horrible and I knew that coming into the car.

All of the above are minor quibbles. The one thing we wanted was a car with character and it is stuffed full of it. It is just such a giggle to drive that every time you put your foot down it puts a smile on your face.

So was it worth waiting four months for? You betcha.

YtC

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I'll be writing my own when my baby comes in... but c'mon man, you know the rules

:ttiwwp:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Congrats! Can't wait till I can post some of my own PICS first and foremost...annnndd, maybe a review :wink:

·
Registered
329 Posts
[quote author=YeagerTheCat link=topic=70859.msg1243112#msg1243112 date=1172805111]
I have nothing against the Civic Si specifically, but the MS3 completely pisses all over it and goes and steals its girlfriend. The instrumentation is more sensible, the engine is more usable, the gear shift is far easier. It is a real sweetheart of a car. It is this girl next door with the multiple body piercings. [/quote]

^^^^ :lmao:

Great review, congrats on the new car!!

P.S. I grew up in Fayetteville, NC but moved away years ago, man do I miss that place. I love the Y'all at the beginning of your post, it takes me back.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
That was freakin hilarious. I love it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeager,

I am in Raleigh, and have a Silver GT as well! We should go out for some 2 car testing to work out this third gear power issue!

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
always enjoy reading reviews of new owners, I concur on all points.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yep great account and review. Sounds like we have the same build date more or less. Mine just hit 2k miles. It just makes you want to drive all the time. Congrats!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts