Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have bought Mazda 3 with halogen lights (2.0 liter petrol), a brought it home from the dealer today (FYI, I'm in Croatia, Europe).
It was a bit rainy on the way home.
When I parked it in the garage, I saw condensation on both headlights after 10 minutes, maybe half of the headlight (bottom up). After 3 hours now, the condensation in still present, lower (maybe 1-2 cm), but still present. I have driven a number of Mazdas in the past (626, first 6, second 6, and the 2004. 3), and none of them had this issue. None of the other cars we have in the company had this issue - Citroen, Fiat, Honda, Toyota.

Any other with the same issue? Maybe someone with solution?

I intend to go to the dealership tomorrow, and claim this under warranty.

·
Registered
153 Posts
As you have mentioned, taking it back to the dealer is your best bet since it remains under warranty.

It has to be a manufacture defect. Could be anything from drastic temperature changes of the car to a bad seal around the headlight housing. Being that it was raining, I would assume its just a leak in there somewhere. I would call them ahead of time and let them know in case they need to order the part, might save you a trip there.

Good luck, please post what they tell you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now in correspondence with the local Mazda dealer, they are convincing me it is something normal, and that it will "wear out" in a couple of days. They claim that there is a TSB with that information, however, when I demanded to send me this, nothing came. Clearly bullsh...

I asked another Mazda dealer with whom we are familiar with, he said that this is a defect, and that has some logic.

As all the other Mazda 3 I have seen around the city parked now during rainy weather show no condensation (don't ask me how I saw all that :D), this is clearly a manufacturing defect.

Today I'm sending e-mail to Mazda Motor Croatia, if that doesn't work, tomorrow to Mazda Motor Europe.

If nothing works, I am still in European 7 days "no questions asked" return period, and will take my money back.

I do believe that this is a good car, but clearly a sh.. dealer.

Will update.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would do that, tell the dealer "do you really want to go through the hassle of giving me my money back so I can go to the dealer around the corner and buy one from them?". I would ask to speak to the service manager also and when he feeds you some bull, ask who his boss is and demand to speak to him. I think once you make a serious move towards returning the vehicle, he will jump through hoops to change that. I assume you could take it to the other Mazda dealer you spoke to and receive warranty claim there just as easily couldn't you?

Its not that expensive for them to replace the part which is obviously defective. As you mentioned, as him for proof. No where will he find something indicating that condensation inside the factory headlight assembly within 7 days of delivery is "normal".

Good luck! I don't nickname them the "stealer-ship" for a nothing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

After calming down, I went with dealer suggestion that "the moist will go away", although common sense was telling me NO.

Well, 250+ km after, and more than 10 rides with high/low beams, suprise suprise - the moist is still there.

I have sent 50+ pictures of headlights with moist inside, and 5 pictures they made prior to collecting the car there; in those 5 pictures no condensation to be seen. So now they couldn't say anything, but are buying time "because their person in charge of warranties is out of the office until Monday". Whatever, they have acknowledged in written that it's a failure.

Additional to this, went to first technical inspection - rear brakes show 35% difference. The inspector didn't care much, but this will also go into a warranty complaint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
have the same problem, also bought Mazda 3 2016 2.0. petrol in Croatian with halogen lights 12.01.16., produced in Mexico

all of my lights, head lights, back lights and fog lights have moisture condensation from day 1

went to Mazda car dealer where i have bought my mazda, they told me that this is normal....

I did warranty complain and they have answer me only by spoken that my warranty claim was rejected by Mazda....

That I need to ventilate my lights....:))))))))

I don't know I'm I crazy or what, but very disappointed by Mazda

·
Registered
153 Posts
Glad to hear that they are recognizing the warranty. Hopefully they get everything resolved for you. Please continue to update as you progress through this and anything else you did to identify/claim the warranty. Sounds like others are having the issue too.

Pics seem pretty clear to me. Its literally about expenses for them, the more they BS you around, the better the chance you have of saying F it and living with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have good news,

new headlights on my M3, few days ago Mazda replaced my headlights under my second warranty complaint, so far all good, no moisture condensation by now :), about 30 km.

For tail lights warranty was not approved, because there was no condensation when I went to claim it again...

When they replaced my headlights, I ask service thet at least open my tail light and ventilate it by hairdryer, maybe there was some moisture inside that could not get out because the tail lights are hermetically sealed. I hope this will fix my problem with tail lights. By now no condensation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my condensation went away after 10 days or so, so didn't go to warranty. Even though I called them and told them that when I have some time, I'll drop my car there so they can clean them from spots from inside the headlight. After the show I gave them for being non-responsive before, now they are a joy to talk with :D
That aside, I'll have to go anyway to fix that 35% handbrake difference

·
Registered
153 Posts
What a pain....better then replacing the headlights on your dime though!

Glad to hear you are making some progress

1 - 14 of 14 Posts