Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Centrix rotors and Posi quiet pads. Won't fit. Compressed the piston all the way in already. Either the rotors or the pads are just too damn thick. Any ideas? These are the second set of brake pads as I thought the first set was just a fluke (too thick).

·
Registered
61 Posts
i wonder if they are assuming you will have the pads surfaced before using them.... that would knock off some of the thickness.
is that the brake piston sticking out about 1-2mm? Will it compress to all the way flush?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=uranium9v link=topic=135848.msg2926176#msg2926176 date=1234267839]
i wonder if they are assuming you will have the pads surfaced before using them.... that would knock off some of the thickness.
is that the brake piston sticking out about 1-2mm? Will it compress to all the way flush?
[/quote]

Nope, that is as far as it will go.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=fithos link=topic=135848.msg2927476#msg2927476 date=1234303137]
[quote author=uranium9v link=topic=135848.msg2926176#msg2926176 date=1234267839]
[/quote]

Nope, that is as far as it will go.
[/quote]

Dont know what to tell you because you cant have them snug or else your wheels will not turn, will burn easily, sanding them down will only make them less useful in the long run.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
It sure looks to me like that piston could go in another 2mm or so.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Did you ever figure it our, I as well believe you can compress it more, make sure your E-Brake is off and you really need a brake capiper tool to get it fully presed in, what did you use ???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a c-clamp. It looks like it could be compressed a little bit more to me too, but both sides sticks out the same amount. :dunno:
I have the brake caliper/spreader too but it doesn't fit the MS3's caliper design.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=fithos link=topic=135848.msg2933276#msg2933276 date=1234493902]
I used a c-clamp. It looks like it could be compressed a little bit more to me too, but both sides sticks out the same amount. :dunno:
I have the brake caliper/spreader too but it doesn't fit the MS3's caliper design.
[/quote]

Here is what I used today and I just installed Stoptech Rotors and my pads were still like new, fit perfectly.

Not sure how to help you.

Mine pressed in all the way past where yours stopped, does not show in this picture, but I had plenty of room.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=135848.msg2933319#msg2933319 date=1234494603]
[quote author=fithos link=topic=135848.msg2933276#msg2933276 date=1234493902]
[/quote]

Here is what I used today and I just installed Stoptech Rotors and my pads were still like new, fit perfectly.

Not sure how to help you.

Mine pressed in all the way past where yours stopped, does not show in this picture, but I had plenty of room.

[/quote]
I'm sorry guys. I should have mention that my car is Mazdaspeed 3. They use a different caliper than the Mazda 3 s or i model. I used to have the Mazda 3s model. Compare to it the Mazdaspeed 3 caliper is huge. Plus it does not have an opening in the caliper where you can just slide the Brake caliper/spreader tool in. It is sealed with a rectangular opening. You can tell by one of my earlier pics.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=fithos link=topic=135848.msg2933450#msg2933450 date=1234496831]
I actually have the exact same brake tool as in your picture. LOL.
[/quote]

I was hoping there was a way to still use it, but I cant go try since mine is already done.

Damn man wish I could help, so how long has your car been sitting, or did you just put the old stuff back on for now ??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nah. Thanks for the effort bro.

I put the old pads back on with the new rotors. The pads only have about 3-5mm left though. :tense: I think I'm gonna just order a different pads (Hawks maybe).

Oh, about the caliper. The Speed 3's rotor are about an inch bigger so it would make sense to put a much bigger caliper on it. My Mazda 3s hatchback was totalled then I got the Speed 3. I can tell you that the brakes on the Speed 3 is much stronger (especailly from high speeds). It is almost comparable to my friend's Mitsubishi Evolution 4 piston Brembos.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Well here is the result of what I did today, only have 1 side done so far. I repainted everything, removed rust with a wire wheel brush and took pics of every step, I will be posting about 100 pics in a day or 2 but check it out.

Stoptech Drilled / slotted upgrade.
I have Ferado brake pads - no dust and awesome grip.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks good. What kind of paint did you use? Do you have to clear coat them? I am assuming your car's color is Blue. I never heard of Ferado brake pads. Do they make a set for the Speed 3?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
[quote author=fithos link=topic=135848.msg2933560#msg2933560 date=1234499428]
Nah. Thanks for the effort bro.

I put the old pads back on with the new rotors. The pads only have about 3-5mm left though. :tense: I think I'm gonna just order a different pads (Hawks maybe).

Oh, about the caliper. The Speed 3's rotor are about an inch bigger so it would make sense to put a much bigger caliper on it. My Mazda 3s hatchback was totalled then I got the Speed 3. I can tell you that the brakes on the Speed 3 is much stronger (especailly from high speeds). It is almost comparable to my friend's Mitsubishi Evolution 4 piston Brembos.
[/quote]
It would seem that the rotors are too thick but,
Go with EBC.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had the EBC on my Nissan Maxima. They squeal and grind, but that may be because I didn't bother to bed them in.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We're they GreenStuff? Red & Yellow are a totally different and better compound. I've heard of that happening on the GreenStuff along with eating rotors but not on the Red & Yellow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Which one is one up from the Green Stuffs? I don't want no racing pads. I want something still streetable. Where is the best place/price to get them?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts