Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be posted in the wrong forum, please relocate it if so.

So I leave work this evening, get in my car start it up, take off the emergency brake, apply the brakes and go to put the car in reverse... and I can't move it out of park. This is an automatic transmission, I guess taking it out of park gave that away...

I also notice that my brake lights aren't coming on when I apply them, any of them. Ended up calling AAA when I ran out of ideas and waited for a few hours. The driver put a 7 inch or so stick into the hole right next ot the shifter and was able to get the gears released and put it into reverse. I have to take it out to get it into drive, and whenever I put it back in park, it won't budge without the stick put back in.

I am taking it into the dealership tomorrow, as it is still under warrenty. However, I have replaced my tail lights with the LED tails from here on the boards, as well as put in LED third brake lights. Also, LED turn signals and reverse lights. All of these still work, the tails still light up with the running lights and headlights turned on. I am wondering if there is any way the dealership can blame whatever it is that is wrong on these lights and void my warrenty.

Any help would be appreciated... I am clueless.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i think you should put in your stockers. even though i know thats such a pain in the ass but you dont know if theyll use that against you or not, since the lights are involved.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
^ It's not that hard... I don't think.

Anyways, I don't know about the transmission, but the brake lights might be a blown fuse or something. If the brakes work, and it's just the lights, that's what I would look at.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't see any fuses burnt... and am curious if this would cause the gear shifter to lock. Unfortunately, i don't have my stock lights anymore, sold them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where the shifter is, on the right side of the fixture there is a little tab that you can pry up (had to use a small key the first time, then comes up easily) and exposes a small hole. Insert the stick to the bottom (about 6 inches or so) over rode the brake lock and allowed the car to be put into reverse.

Dropped it off this morning and they didn't say anything about the tail lights, said it sounded like warrenty work and gave me a loaner. I'll see what they have to say when they call later today.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dude, honestly, the dealer won't worry about any after market stuff unless it actually affects the engine. Tail lights and stuff [glow=red,2,300]don't [/glow] affect the engine. You have nothing to worry about there. If they decide to give you a hard time about it, pull up the [glow=green,2,300]state law[/glow] on warrenty information. It's all good.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I would tend to think that the brake switch at your pedal is the problem. That would cause the lights to not work and would aslo prevent the signal reaching the ECU to release the shifter mechanism.

Since that would be an electrical issue it is very possible that the dealer would blame your LEDs (or a faulty installation of them) as the cause of the problem. I doubt it would void your warranty, but they would charge you for the repair, claiming it was not able to be warranteed due to the modifications.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The switch was the problem, but they didn't say a thing about my after market stuff. Fixed it in a few days, gave me a free loaner, and said it was warrenty work and didn't cost me a thing :)

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, my car has this same problem once again. However, this time, the dealership is claiming that they think the problem is due to the aftermarket lights and not something faulty with the car. I know that the burdon of proof is on them, but I am concerned that I won't have the proper arguement against them if they come back and say that it is my fault. Does anyone have any experience with the function of this brake switch, or any other information about the car that would help me out?

Thanks,

-Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts