Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having spent the last 3 weeks reading and gathering as much info as possible on this heavy brake dust build up on rear brakes/grooving which I have on the rears rotors I decided to finally go to the dealership with the comments from this forum and get them to look at it.
......anyway I took it in and it turned out the Mazda rep was there at the time too....PERFECT!......they took my car up on the hoist...disassembled the brake assembly and to their surprise found both rear pads with very unusual degradation and pitting....very intensely worn....only 375km too!.....Immediately the rep asked for a digital camera and decided to send pictures off to quality assurance at Mazda for further analysis and also asked straight away for the guys at service to replace all 4 rotors and pads......by the way the service guys are the best in Ontario......!!
I am very happy that they have responded so quick....obviously the rep being there made a big difference but in a way when the rep said he had never seen the problem before I was a little suspicous of this...especially after reading about other owners from ontario with the same problem....at least they now have headstart on the situation and is now on its way to QA....lets hope it gets a service bulletin.....lets see if theres a difference with this new brake assembly......one thing that I noticed as did the service manager.....a lot of salt and grit around the wheel well area.....so dirt and sand could have caused this but I find this hard to accept as my last car...BMW X5 had no such problems...especially in winter with same road salt conditions!..rotors were silky smooth!!....maybe its because its a BMW!

Anyway I want to thank forums like these for making problems like this more aware to others and if it weren't...I can imagine that I would NEVER EVER pay any attention to the rotors...and who knows maybe that would have lead to problems down the road....

Other than the brake problem....I LOVE THE CAR!

·
Banned
868 Posts
ARGH.

Your Mazda rep was good....it turned out that there was one too when I was at my dealer getting my brakes fixed.

I hope that this gets somewhere.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Levitron said:
ARGH.

Your Mazda rep was good....it turned out that there was one too when I was at my dealer getting my brakes fixed.

You got your rotors machined, right? Are the brakes still noisy? I brought mine back for resurfacing the rotors, but still squealed. Just that it is not as frequent as before. I still think there is something wrong with the brake system design. :?

·
Banned
868 Posts
gummcgay said:
Levitron said:
ARGH.

You got your rotors machined, right? Are the brakes still noisy? I brought mine back for resurfacing the rotors, but still squealed. Just that it is not as frequent as before. I still think there is something wrong with the brake system design. :?
It was fine after for the two weeks I got them machined. It's kinda back, like yours. It's warmer now too, so you would hear less of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
X5 to Mazda 3 is a big change for me but had to be done....the X5 depreciated by 50% of its value in just under 2 years and yet the car had done only 30k,dvd system ..fully loaded and showroom condition....shame to see it go!

My rotors are being totally replaced...and as far as squealing goes...the only thing I get is a soft cushioning sound as I brake from the rear....it almost sounds like the brakes/handbrake calipers are a little too tight but I hope they fix that now.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Mazda 4 u

Yeah,

Saw a guy buying an MZ3 at the dealership who had just crashed his Volvo S60.

It's tough if you're paying something that big off, so you gotta settle for something smaller. At least a MZ3 is a good choice for the $20-25k (CAD) range.

·
Registered
420 Posts
adsam3927 said:
X5 to Mazda 3 is a big change for me but had to be done....the X5 depreciated by 50% of its value in just under 2 years and yet the car had done only 30k,dvd system ..fully loaded and showroom condition....shame to see it go!
:roll: I don't believe it. Now, I don't know where you live and exactlly all the options you had, etc., but according to NADA.com, trade-in on a "loaded" 4.4i with 30k miles is $37,025 and retails at $41,875 here. MSRP for a brand new one is $41,495 - $52,795. I don't see the 50% depreciation. :?
While I'm glad you got an M3 and all, I would like to know the REAL reason you went from a $50k BMW to a $20k Mazda, unless you'd rather not say. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was a BMW X5 3.0 NOT 4.4 plus Im in Canada...Canada $ !!
Purchase price 78,000 plus $6000 BMW OEM DVD system fully loaded...

Valued in Canadian Black Book : range $ 42-45k.......!!

So thats the depreciation right there...plus BMW dealers have been explaining this drop due to the rise in sales of cheaper more popular SUV's such as the new Toureg !....I'm sure if I kept it any longer it would have burned a VERY large hole in my pocket...better late than never.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey adsam3927,
What Mazda dealership did you go to? I'm at Downtown Mazda in Toronto, and all they'll say so far is that they will look at my brakes once my new airbag sensor is in stock. They aren't really jumping at the chance to fix my brakes, but they haven't said no, well not yet anyway.
Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
IMO, replacing parts W/O knowing what the cause of the problem is not a "FiX". My dealer has brought in new pads and rotors but I have asked them to hold off on the install until more is know or understood about this problem - they agreed and I'm waiting until Mazda comes up with a real solution. I've already posted this in a similar thread but I think everyone needs to understand that this problem will continue until they get to the bottom of it - soon I hope. Personally, I'm very concerned - if this was a simple fix, Mazda would have addressed it by now. Something tells me it's much more complicated and expensive than the rotor / pad replacement "solution". Anyway, keep posting the updates - more exposure may result in Mazda giving this more attention

·
Registered
947 Posts
This is similar to what I said a while ago. My rear rotors are slightly grooved but I am going to wait until something definite comes down the pipeline in the form of say a service bulletin. Before then I am just putting additional wear and tear each time I hand over my keys to the service monkies who treat my car like a rental.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I went to the dealership today to ask about my fuel pump replacement. While I was waiting I checked out the cars in the showroom and the lot. At least half of the showroom vehicles in ALL MAKES had signs of grooving on at least one or two rotors. I doubt the showroom vehicles have been driven much but they do show signs. The lot cars had a few that looked grooved as well. Has anyone else gone to the dealerships to check rotors there? If this is company wide, I think they should really address the issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
rpc180

Yea man I saw exactly what you did, I was getting my protege5 serviced and was looking around and drooling over a nice graphite RX-8 on the showroom floor, they also had a 3s and I looked.......yep there was some significant grooving and pitting on the rears and a lil on the front rotors, seeing this made me ponder if the other cars on the lot outside had the same issue. So I grabbed a hot cup o java my cigs and made it out to the lot and checked mostly the 3s <cause I lust after them> and most of them showed signs of pitting and grooving =( PLEASE MAZDA fix this!!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
When everyone refers to "grooving", do you mean actual cuts in the rotors, or just lines that look like grooves. If it is the later, mine has them too, as have all my other cars/trucks and don't think it to be an issue, rather normal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
:roll: :roll: So my 3 has severe brake dust on the back wheels, is this covered under warranty, I get the impression it is but then other people say the tecks are going "to look at it" If so how long does it take to get repaired??? Also did anyone deal with ontario mazda on this situation :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
290 Posts
BMM3 said:
When everyone refers to "grooving", do you mean actual cuts in the rotors, or just lines that look like grooves. If it is the later, mine has them too, as have all my other cars/trucks and don't think it to be an issue, rather normal.
I think most of these people are referring to actual grooves in the rotor - at least I am and it is not normal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts