Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the rotor diametre in nches? I hate this mm crap! I am not 1780mm tall---I am 5'10! :D All the mags I read are American so all I can relate to is inches and pounds.

thanks

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
4-door i - 10.9" front (ventilated discs), 10.4" rears (solid discs)

4-door s, 5-door s - 11.8" front (ventilated discs), 11.0" rears (solid discs)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well of course to go form one metric measuremnt to another is soo easy.....but when I am talking and thinking cars...I gotta have inches ect.

So the GT has 11.8" fr discs? Thats cool and huge for small car!
My 88 IROC has 10.5 fr discs and the car weighs 3400lbs---needs an anchor to stop fast! :D

·
Registered
984 Posts
All I know is that the brakes are touchy. As the saying goes, "a dab will do ya"

·
Registered
163 Posts
lol, it almost seems like you guys are complaining.

I parked next to my buddies 02 SiR (US Si) and there were so many differences, especially in the brakes.

Our REAR brakes are bigger than his Front. Our FRONT are huge, they respond to light feather braking, and when pushed, they stop the car on a dime. Im very excited to see how our car performs when mated to some sticky summer rubber!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I really like the brakes that comes on the 3. After owning Hondas, it's a relief to drive a car with proper brakes. Just as a comparison, the rear rotor on our car is the same size as the front rotors on the 3300+ pound Accord. Our rotors are the same size as the 3580 pound Acura TL with the automatic transmission.

Our brakes are also larger than the ones that come on the WRX.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
With such a big front.. i woulda expected the rear to be vented.

It stops a lot harder than my Jetta ever did.

·
Registered
163 Posts
ya, the brakes are great. Im still not used to it. Every morning when I get into my car, I press the brakes too hard like I had to do on my old car and slam my head into the steering wheel. hurts like a bitch everyday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Q...

I bought my 3 a month ago and i've noticed that there's squeaky noise coming from my front brakes esp every morning when i drive out from my garage.. did you guys have same exp or is it normal cuz of rotor was wet at that time?

·
Registered
302 Posts
It will do this for a while maybe even a bit after the break-in period. It all depends on your braking habits. Mainly it is jsut the new rotors having to "burn" through their coating and also if there is some surface rust it will squeak. Part of the reason you probably notice alot of rust build-up when you first get your 3 is also because of the factory rotor coating they put on. It should stop squeaking and rusting as fast/much once this coating is gone, like i said though the timeit takes to get rid of the coating varies with your braking habits...it will go away alot faster if you do alot of hard and fast stopping. Hope this helps.

- Phil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts