Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I love my Mz3 Sport GT, I am at a lost when it comes to explaining my feelings for the HUGE amount of squeaking present when I turn my steering wheel and brake at the same time (while the car is cold). Happens to the front brakes only.

Once I travel a few hundred meters, the noise will disappear.

I have no clue why this happens, and the noise is such a gut-wrenching squeal. Hopefully, when I bring it to the dealer next week, this will be fixed.

EDIT: Thread title :twisted:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I find the brakes squeal after the car sits a bit - probably worse when its wet, but I'm not sure. After a couple light brake applications its gone. More harsh than I'm used to also.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My dad's VW New Beetle does that too...annoying as *&@%. He's been told that because of the composition of the break pads (non-metallic) that they will squeal until the rotors/pads get warmed up.

·
Registered
627 Posts
yeah

I've just learned to acccept that it will do this in cold weather.

They stop on a dime though!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
bluntman said:
My dad's VW New Beetle does that too...annoying as *&@%. He's been told that because of the composition of the break pads (non-metallic) that they will squeal until the rotors/pads get warmed up.
My Jetta was the same way. Squeaked harder than my 3... kinda like a grind but I was told that the material sucks from the factory hence the noice.

I swapped to EBC brake pads and it never happened again.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Levitron said:
As much as I love my Mz3 Sport GT, I am at a lost when it comes to explaining my feelings for the HUGE amount of squeaking present when I turn my steering wheel and brake at the same time (while the car is cold). Happens to the front brakes only.

Once I travel a few hundred meters, the noise will disappear.

I have no clue why this happens, and the noise is such a gut-wrenching squeal. Hopefully, when I bring it to the dealer next week, this will be fixed.

EDIT: Thread title :twisted:
That was the same situation I had Levitron. But at the time I thought it was my steering wheel making the squeal. Well, I finally got around to cleaning up the garage, and so now I park it in there rather than outside. I haven't heard the squeal since. I believe it has to do with the extreme cold like everyone stated.

Like factrzero said..."it will stop on a dime" :D .

Spencer

·
Registered
17 Posts
i've expereinced persistent squeaking as well, but as soon as the brakes warm up a bit it goes away. i think it's due to the extremely cold weather

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's NOT extremely cold here in Vancouver BC. The lowest it gets is around 5 degrees celsius.

It still stops great.....but it's when I start it up, that the noise just shatters the interior.

I park the car inside my garage all the time, it's never been parked outside overnight.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I guess it's something we will have to live with. I'm at 2800km now and it still does it. I have to say that it's getting better though.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Clean!

Clean the car, spray the rotors. My squeeks went away, until it went cold again :)

The exposed calipers pick up salt/grime pretty quickly. So this is probably the combination causing me issues. Everytime the temp. drops, the salt gets dropped on the road and my brakes go squeeky again.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Levitron said:
It's NOT extremely cold here in Vancouver BC. The lowest it gets is around 5 degrees celsius.

It still stops great.....but it's when I start it up, that the noise just shatters the interior.

I park the car inside my garage all the time, it's never been parked outside overnight.
Hey Levitron,

5 degress celsius may not be extreme, but its very cold :D . I'm here at the foothills of Lake Tahoe (USA), and my steering or brakes...whatever you want to call it...made that squeal when the weather was about 26 degrees fahrenheit. But ever since I started parking in the garage, the problem has dissipated.

Spencer

·
Registered
97 Posts
overkast said:
Levitron said:

Hey Levitron,

5 degress celsius may not be extreme, but its very cold :D . I'm here at the foothills of Lake Tahoe (USA), and my steering or brakes...whatever you want to call it...made that squeal when the weather was about 26 degrees fahrenheit. But ever since I started parking in the garage, the problem has dissipated.

Spencer
...he means 5 deg C ...which isnt cold at all...

·
Registered
185 Posts
My brake just squealed a bit in a rainy weather today. The temperature was not even freezing at all here in Vancouver. I really wonder what is really happening to my 3. Besides, I notice that in my left front brake rotor, there is a groove. Is that normal? :( Will it have impact on braking performance?

·
Registered
290 Posts
gummcgay said:
My brake just squealed a bit in a rainy weather today. The temperature was not even freezing at all here in Vancouver. I really wonder what is really happening to my 3. Besides, I notice that in my left front brake rotor, there is a groove. Is that normal? :( Will it have impact on braking performance?
http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1327

check this thread on rotor issues

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok I thought it was only my car. Seems like there are other new Mazda 3 owners having the same query as I do. My break sqeaks too and especially when it's cold. I think I will take it to the dealer. I only got like 1042KMs on my new MZ3 Sedan. Well let you guys know of the result

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Good luck, my dealer basically told me it's a fact of life and to piss off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I complained to the service department about the noise from the brake and they explained to me that it's because the car is using 4 discs instead of 2 discs 2 drums. They also claimed that there is nothing to do to fix the problem; the noise will come on everytime you start the car in a cold winter, and it will go away after the car is being warmed.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm bringing it in tomrorow to see what they can do.

The sales manager tells me that there's been 4 or 5 owners with the same problem...and he's going to fire off a memo to Mazda Canada. He hopes to have them recall the car for that problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It was somewhat cold tonight here in florida, and i noticed my brakes squeal. Only when i was at a really low speed while turning and braking, before the car warmed up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts