Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up the ($40 retail) brake caliper tool set at Harbor Freight in Orange and it was on sale for $20. (So check I'd check it out while it's on sale)

I've heard people on the forums using this set and it helps to push in the caliper when installing pads or a new rotor...

Anyone feel free to post what parts of this kit you used for which brakes since I don't think it comes with instructions... hehe

Work on your brakes at home with this professional kit, made from carbon steel with black industrial finish. Contains thread adjusting tool, 10 piece attachments and a pad in molded carrying case. For use on Ford, GM, VW, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Toyota, BMW, Audi and Rover vehicles.
Attachment diameters: From 1.261'' to 2/5''
Lead screw diameter: .620''
T-handle diameter: .277
Steel construction

ITEM 40732-0VGA

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've looked at that several times, but couldn't justify the price in replacing a big C Clamp I currently use - & have used successfully on 6 other cars over the years doing brake jobs. But $20 isn't bad.

One thing I do like from Harbor for brakes is their 'mini-mite' vacuum bleeder. Makes bleeding brakes simple, clean, fast, & easy - don't have to get your wife/gf to pump the brake while you bleed it. Now takes me about 20 minutes total for a front brake job.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'll try my local Harbor Freight & see if they are still on sale. Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I've got the kit, you only need it for the back I believe. And you don't need any of the discs around the edge, just the pad looking thingie and the screw.

Primitive directions (pad thing=the thing in the middle below the screw)

Slide the pad thing over the handle of the screw. Put the end of the screw on the caliper (the pins will slide into it) and the pad thing inside the caliper as well. Spin the nut on the screw until the pad thing has some tension (doesn't need to be much) spreading it apart. Then turn the handle clockwise.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... The directions show the pad on the device, but it took me a while to figure out how to do it haha.. (have to slide it around handle)

I plan on replacing my rear pads soon so this should save some time so I don't have to experiment with anything.

Harbor Freight is addicting...

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I go to HF for odd or little used tools, like this one. But I buy Craftsman for whatever I can. Support Sears or your only options will be shitty Chinese tools or $700 for a 12pc set of sockets Snap-On.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts