Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading my manual for my car. Still haven't gotten through it all yet.. but I found that some cars have the Brake Assit feature.

On Page 5-8 (near the ABS section) Driving Your Mazda
Starting and Driving

"Brake Assist*
During emergency braking situations
when it is necessary to depress the brake
pedal with greater force, the brake assist
system provides braking assistance, thus
enhancing braking performance.
When the brake pedal is depressed hard or
depressed more quickly, the brakes apply
more firmly."

Anyone have any idea how I would tell if my car has it? I thought only expensive cars had it. I haven't heard about it before.
I have a mazada 5-door with auto and ABS with EBD.

It has a star next to it meaning that it might have it or not. I am wondering if the Canadians get it. They seem to get the rain sensor, auto lights, and heated mirrors. Would it have killed Ford/ Mazda to include them here in rainy Seattle as well?

Anyway, before I go off topic, you can view the driver's manual for free at www.mazdausa.com. Click on "Own & Maintain > Owner's Manuals "
or click here and sign on: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=manualsNonOwners

Sign up and pick the mazda 3 as your vechile. It will give you the owners manual and other related info. Go to page 5-8 and let me know if you think the car has Brake Assist. :wink:

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I thought EBD was the same as Brake Assist ??

EDITED:

Found this in another forum (not on the mz3):
The EBD regulates how much braking goes to each wheel, and the EBA will significantly increase the braking force and flash the hazard lights to let everyone know you are coming to a REALLY hard stop.
So I guess just go out in the open road, and punch the brake.

·
Registered
164 Posts
bluong1 said:
Now a day every car has brake assist. It's not fancy nor expensive.
i dont think so.
as far as i know brake assist is where the car predicts an emergency stop situation (based on the speed with which you hit the brake pedal) and applies full braking force even if youre not pushing the pedal all the way. at leas thats how it works with toyota/lexus cars...

·
Registered
168 Posts
DuneII said:
I was reading my manual for my car. Still haven't gotten through it all yet.. but I found that some cars have the Brake Assit feature.

On Page 5-8 (near the ABS section) Driving Your Mazda
Starting and Driving

"Brake Assist*
During emergency braking situations
when it is necessary to depress the brake
pedal with greater force, the brake assist
system provides braking assistance, thus
enhancing braking performance.
When the brake pedal is depressed hard or
depressed more quickly, the brakes apply
more firmly."

Anyone have any idea how I would tell if my car has it? I thought only expensive cars had it. I haven't heard about it before.
I have a mazada 5-door with auto and ABS with EBD.

It has a star next to it meaning that it might have it or not. I am wondering if the Canadians get it. They seem to get the rain sensor, auto lights, and heated mirrors. Would it have killed Ford/ Mazda to include them here in rainy Seattle as well?

Anyway, before I go off topic, you can view the driver's manual for free at www.mazdausa.com. Click on "Own & Maintain > Owner's Manuals "
or click here and sign on: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=manualsNonOwners

Sign up and pick the mazda 3 as your vechile. It will give you the owners manual and other related info. Go to page 5-8 and let me know if you think the car has Brake Assist. :wink:

Thanks.
I'm not sure though, but I think you can tell if you have the Brake Assist or EBD by looking at your brake pad/caliper setup. Mine came with the car as an option because I wanted ABS. When I looked at the brake pads/calipers this morning, I notice something that my 99' Accord didn't have. The brake pads/calipers on the Mazda3 has like a wire-like frame (2 or 3 metal wires) encompassing the calipers outer body. If your car doesn't have these wire frames and the calipers are bare, then I think you just have the standard brake setup.

Hope this helps. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, please let me know and I'll try to post some pics clarifying the setup.

Spencer

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hummm, Mazda seems to advertise the EBA (Emergency brake Assist) on all ABS equipped car in Europe, but I haven't found anything similar for N/A...

I'm still investigating...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Mitsu link explains very well what ABS, Brake Assist, and EBD are. Nice. :idea: I will bookmark it. Thanks.

I don't want to try a hard brake with my car yet. It's only 12 days old. :?

I will look out for the wires in a few hours on the brake. I got the U.S. ABS, air bags, EBD package. So, I know I have the EBD and ABS.

·
Registered
481 Posts
NASTY said:
bluong1 said:
i dont think so.
as far as i know brake assist is where the car predicts an emergency stop situation (based on the speed with which you hit the brake pedal) and applies full braking force even if youre not pushing the pedal all the way. at leas thats how it works with toyota/lexus cars...
you got it exactly NASTY... the north american Mazda3 doesnt have brake assist, only EBD...

·
Registered
272 Posts
you got it exactly NASTY... the north american Mazda3 doesnt have brake assist, only EBD...
Really? Mazda canada website gives a hint there is a built-in mechanical brake assist (MBA, same as European). But there is plenty of errors on Canadian websites so...

From my understanding, MBA has an additional inertial module inside the servo/master cylinder, not visible and easy to check.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Info on Mazda Canada

Mazda Canada's website has the following: Four-wheel ABS with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and built-in mechanical brake assistance provide superior vehicle stability and braking performance on slippery roads and in emergency situations, whether the car is fully loaded or nearly empty. (Standard on GT and available with sports package on GS models.)

Goto: http://www.mazda.ca/root.asp Click on Mazda 3 s hatchback. Click on Performance and then on Safety.

It mentions 'brake assistance'. I'm not sure whether it is the same as brake assist or not.

I think either the Canadian or the US version has Brake assist because it mentions it in the manual.

·
Registered
481 Posts
interesting! i stand corrected i think... i will have to do some more research at work... ill get back to you guys

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The Canadian site also says this: "Brake pedal retracts away from the driver’s foot in a frontal collision to lower the risk of pedal-inflicted foot and leg injuries."

How the hell does that happen?? And does it really help you in any way?

And I just went through the US site again, the only think I can find is ABS with EBD - and it's only sold as a package option.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yup

The Canadian website shows that the breaks are ABS/EBD/Brake Assist as was aformentioned.

"Four-wheel ABS with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and built-in mechanical brake assistance provide superior vehicle stability and braking performance on slippery roads and in emergency situations, whether the car is fully loaded or nearly empty. (Standard on GT and available with sports package on GS models.)"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talked to my dealer and looked through other cars. It looks like Brake Assist was a *big* feature introduced by Benz a few years back. But now, redesigned cars pretty much all have them.

Whatever the case, I am pretty sure that the ABS package (in the US) includes it. The car stops so damn quick in a panic stop. I tested it yesterday. :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yeah, I can't bed the brakes properly until this snow and sand clears up :( But I tried a few 60-0 hard stops after about an hour on the roads a week back. OMG I've never felt stopping like that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
NASTY said:
bluong1 said:
i dont think so.
I DO think so. Every car since the 70's has "Vacuum assisted brakes". I'm not sure WHAT Mazda is talking about here. Sounds more like "braking enhancement" to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
The Canadian site also says this: "Brake pedal retracts away from the driver’s foot in a frontal collision to lower the risk of pedal-inflicted foot and leg injuries."

How the hell does that happen?? And does it really help you in any way?

And I just went through the US site again, the only think I can find is ABS with EBD - and it's only sold as a package option.
Actually, it happens more times then you think. My mom currently has 3 bone fractures in her foot because of this EXACT problem.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
wow. Thanks for letting me know that I paid for a GOOD thing!

Sorry to hear about your mom though..

·
Registered
330 Posts
N1XRR said:
NASTY said:
bluong1 said:
i dont think so.
I DO think so. Every car since the 70's has "Vacuum assisted brakes". I'm not sure WHAT Mazda is talking about here. Sounds more like "braking enhancement" to me.
"Vaccum Assisted brakes" are just power brakes as we know them today, master cyclinder,brake fluid, etc. as compared to the manual brakes(picture: standing up with two feet on the pedal). "Brake Assist" is as NASTY explained...two different concepts. And yes, it would be considered an "enhancement" to the braking system. Also not every car has it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts