Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alot of members already have put on bov from hks or greddy.....but the hard part is vta or recirc? i have read if you dont want ur car run like crap....use recirc only cuz ms3 engine.....then i read members run vta and everything is fine...and sound great......im about to get a bov and cai.....can someone explain again to me since im a newbie on turbo car....i would love to have some bov in my life....but i dont want my car run like crap.....help!?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
sometimes you can't have it both ways. In reality your car probably wont run like crap in the short term, but you will be running even richer than the car already is which may cause your spark plugs to build up residue quicker and your car to waste gas.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so recircu is the way to go in a long run...? for the engine or spark plugs life??

·
Registered
229 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=67124.msg1153081#msg1153081 date=1168992526]
so recircu is the way to go in a long run...? for the engine or spark plugs life??
[/quote]

Yeah, recirc is definitely the way to go. You may not have any problems with stalling or fouling, but the fact is, the ECU compensates for the amount of air it sees come in with fuel, and if you dump that air out into the atmosphere, you have a shit-tonne of gas pouring into your chamber that can't be burnt off. Stalling and fouling are possible consequences, but the real kicker is that you will most likely lose power as a result. I'd put money on the people who say they've done it could dyno their car and show you the difference, even if they can't feel it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i have run my greddy in both.
sounds better VTA but lost LOT of fuel mileage, ran 100% fine though
recirc will sound just as good if used with a CAI, and keep your mileage, and not burn up your cat, and spark plugs.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
In my opinion just because it doesn't do any damage to the car doesn't make it right. Why would you sacrifice gas mileage, spark plugs, and your CAT for a BOV noise...get a recirculating BOV. Again just my opinion. In another thread someone said you could move the MAF so that it accounts for the venting in the atmosphere. Here read this thread. http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=66567.0

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
you cant just move the bov on this car...
1) there is no room for it on the boosted side of the tubo.
2) a maf that is drawing air through it, and one that is forcing boost through it read very differantly, you would need a new meter, or at least a reprogrammed meter. i had to use a pro-m meter in my boosted mustang for this reason..

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx guys.....i think i made my decision....

·
Registered
51 Posts

i guess installed like in the picture is recirc, is it?

for running it VTA i have just tp unplug the hose "on the right-side"? yes or no?

i'm absolutly new in turbo-engines.... sorry for those (stupid) questions...

VTA stands for what/means what? *pleasehelpme*

Pat

·
Registered
443 Posts
[quote author=paett link=topic=67124.msg1169873#msg1169873 date=1169794542]
[/quote]

I'm guessing Vent To Atmosphere.

·
Registered
282 Posts
new to turbo's as well but VTA does stand for Vent to Atmosphere which has been said to make the car run rich.

with the ozmazdaclub post - we are not by law able to run VTA BOV so most of us will be going for the TurboXS plumb back version as its been made for our MPS's

·
Registered
402 Posts
[quote author=Insurance Guy link=topic=67124.msg1169937#msg1169937 date=1169811936]
[quote author=bani link=topic=67124.msg1169908#msg1169908 date=1169801622]
install one of these.
[/quote]

Hy-f'ing-sterical.
[/quote]

Excellent, really captures the spirit of VTA for me. Also, for the loss of power that results on the MS6 anyway, check out the BOV Recirc dyno and the same guy's BOV VTA dyno here:

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewforum.php?f=52

171 hp / 197 torque on VTA vs. 196 / 227 on recirc (Mustang dynos).

·
Registered
355 Posts
[quote author=paett link=topic=67124.msg1169873#msg1169873 date=1169794542]

i guess installed like in the picture is recirc, is it?

for running it VTA i have just tp unplug the hose "on the right-side"? yes or no?

i'm absolutly new in turbo-engines.... sorry for those (stupid) questions...

Pat
[/quote]

Ok here is the deal...when you order your BOV kit it will (usually) come ready to be used in VTA (Vent To Atmosphere). the box you order should include an add-on piece that can be attached to the end of the BOV to use it in recirculation mode. The part that you are speaking of on the "right side" IS where it is set up in recirculation mode. It is important to run it in recirc. until you get it tuned to run it in VTA. As im sure you have read on here, it can cause alot of problems over time if you run the BOV in VTA while running it rich between shifts. If you talk to most of the people on here who know a little bit about turbo engines, they wil be running their BOV in recirc. and purchasing a CAI of some sort. You will still get that sexy pppssshhhh!!!!! noise that we all want.

I hope this helped, if not let me know and I will try to do better next time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=67124.msg1169958#msg1169958 date=1169815831]

Ok here is the deal...when you order your BOV kit it will (usually) come ready to be used in VTA (Vent To Atmosphere). the box you order should include an add-on piece that can be attached to the end of the BOV to use it in recirculation mode. The part that you are speaking of on the "right side" IS where it is set up in recirculation mode. It is important to run it in recirc. until you get it tuned to run it in VTA. As im sure you have read on here, it can cause alot of problems over time if you run the BOV in VTA while running it rich between shifts. If you talk to most of the people on here who know a little bit about turbo engines, they wil be running their BOV in recirc. and purchasing a CAI of some sort. You will still get that sexy pppssshhhh!!!!! noise that we all want.

[/quote]

thanks man - you've answerd my question :klavergreg:

now i know what i will order - the "set"/"box" from "therpmstore" - this set should (like they've writen) include everything for about $265 + shipping $30 8)

thanks again - you made my day!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
[quote author=paett link=topic=67124.msg1170001#msg1170001 date=1169820380]
[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=67124.msg1169958#msg1169958 date=1169815831]

[/quote]

thanks man - you've answerd my question :klavergreg:

now i know what i will order - the "set"/"box" from "therpmstore" - this set should (like they've writen) include everything for about $265 + shipping $30 8)

thanks again - you made my day!!
[/quote]

Haha No problem , I dont know as much as alot of other guys on here, but I will help where I can. I ordered the exact same kit from therpmstore.com, and the CP-E CAI.

·
Registered
51 Posts
did you allready receive it and install it?

like to hear how it sounds installed in recicr :D

can you put a soundfile in-here or send me by email to: [email protected] ?! :p

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would love to Im just waiting for 2 important things...the first is the shipment of the parts to arrive, the second is the shipment of the car to arrive!!! haha it should be here in march (i hope).

If you go onto youtube.com and search for BOV sounds, or Blow off valve, or anythign to do with it, it will come up with what you are looking for. Last I checked, there was nothing from the mazdaspeed 3, but there are some with the HKS in recirc with a CAI. Thats the best I can do!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts