Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that their idle bounces up a hundred RPMs and then back down? It happens pretty much all the time: warm or cold ambient, etc. If I am just sitting their I can hear it pick up slightly, then slow down, pick up slightly, then slow down.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=dread link=topic=66397.msg1138698#msg1138698 date=1168273289]
nope, do you have a ms3 or sp23
[/quote]

My SP23 turned into an MS3 over the weekend. The car has 165 miles on it. Loving the MS3 so far, but there are a few issues that need ironing: the bouncing idle (if it is abnormal) and a rattle from the driver's door or dash (the SP23 didn't have it).

·
Registered
337 Posts
[quote author=dpeete link=topic=66397.msg1138669#msg1138669 date=1168272137]
Has anyone else noticed that their idle bounces up a hundred RPMs and then back down? It happens pretty much all the time: warm or cold ambient, etc. If I am just sitting their I can hear it pick up slightly, then slow down, pick up slightly, then slow down.
[/quote]

Could be A/C kicking on and off if you have it on auto setting...

Mine does that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be A/C kicking on and off if you have it on auto setting...
I'll try playing with that.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Mine is pretty stable, but it does bounce with the a/c or the fan on. I don't know what could be causing the rattle. Mine is pretty quiet.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
mine is stable as well, as far as the door creaking mine did the same so I had the dealer lube it and it fixed the problem. The windshield also rattles in cold weather and that is the cowl that holds the wipers on rubbing against the windshield. I haven't had this fixed yet because the dealer could not replicate the problem, but they told me it can be fixed by putting a foam insulator under the cowl.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
No bouncing. Right now I'm hardly using the AC but I could see that as a possibility.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Remember the A/C runs even with heater on (sometimes).

I still haven't figured out which combinations of settings cause it to run, and some have said the compressor runs even when the A/C light is off. I haven't checked it out for myself yet. I'm usually pretty miserly with running the A/C in cars when its not needed, but with this car...ah, I just keep on auto most of the time. :dunno:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=stugotz99 link=topic=66397.msg1139074#msg1139074 date=1168287580]
Remember the A/C runs even with heater on (sometimes).

I still haven't figured out which combinations of settings cause it to run, and some have said the compressor runs even when the A/C light is off. I haven't checked it out for myself yet. I'm usually pretty miserly with running the A/C in cars when its not needed, but with this car...ah, I just keep on auto most of the time. :dunno:
[/quote]

The A/C is off for heat, and head w/feet. The A/C runs in feet only, defrost, and defrost w/feet. The A/C light will not show.

·
Registered
906 Posts
When the A/C compressor kicks in, the engine idle automatically goes up 100 rpm to account for the extra load on the engine. With the louder exhaust that comes on the MS3, it is much more noticeable than normal.

This is completely normal and is NOT a bouncing idle issue.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
[quote author=Boother link=topic=66397.msg1139185#msg1139185 date=1168291790]
When the A/C compressor kicks in, the engine idle automatically goes up 100 rpm to account for the extra load on the engine. With the louder exhaust that comes on the MS3, it is much more noticeable than normal.

[/quote]

+1

also note that the a/c always kicks on with the auto climate control which maybe you didnt have in your previous 3.

·
Registered
639 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=66397.msg1139823#msg1139823 date=1168312599]
[quote author=Boother link=topic=66397.msg1139185#msg1139185 date=1168291790]

[/quote]

+1

also note that the a/c always kicks on with the auto climate control which maybe you didnt have in your previous 3.
[/quote]

+2

Engine idle even jumps for a split second when you turn the wheel at idle for the same reason.

ECU is constantly calculating idle air intake and adjusting output realtime. In turn, idle's possibly alittle rougher than it should be, but nowhere near detrimental or abnormal. Also, it's nothing an ecu tune couldn't fix.

Nothing to worry about at all, in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine does it all the time. I can even make it do it, which seems a little odd. What seems to be happening is the cooling fan, comes on ALOT. I could be wrong, but there are times I am outside of my car, and can hear it clicking on and then off. Which concerns me a little bit for the future. Seems to be alot of work for the single small fan. And it seems that when it kicks on, it just drops the temp a few degrees below and then heats back up again.

As far as making the rpm bounce on my own, I can do it by just slightly turning the steering wheel, or give the brakes a slight tap.

In regards to the A/C running with the heat on. I just figured this out, but when you hit auto, it has the a/c engaged, hince the green light, but you can turn that off, by pressing the a/c button. That is what I always did, and it got annoying. Then I realized that by just turning the fan control will cause the climate system to run at the previous temp setting with no a/c.

Something else to consider. This may be going on for other non MS3, but our exhaust (i think) is rather throaty. And resonates throughout the cabin quite a bit. That could be why we notice it more. Just a thought.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Once you change any climate setting (aside from temperature), it turns off the Auto Climate. So when you push the A/C button with the auto-climate on, you turn off the auto part as well.

Anytime the A/C compressor is running, the fan should run too. This is a neat feature to use in the staging lanes at the track to help cool the car.....

The engine idle jumps when you turn the steering to help with the power steering assist.

The engine idle jumps with the brake application because the brakes are vacuum powered and the higher idle helps ensure good vacuum for the brakes.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Actually that idle jumping is bad, it means your car will be toast in a year. Damn Mazda! I think I'm gonna trade. And those flashing leds on the dash, you KNOW that's bad for the plastic and is probably why it creaks a little sometimes. Yup I'm definitely getting rid of this thing before the year is up.

:p :klavergreg:

·
Registered
329 Posts
[quote author=Boother link=topic=66397.msg1166701#msg1166701 date=1169659093]
Once you change any climate setting (aside from temperature), it turns off the Auto Climate. So when you push the A/C button with the auto-climate on, you turn off the auto part as well.
[/quote]

This is not true. The reason is that when I set the temp on the Auto climate then turn the A/C off, the fans will still adjust. So if it is blasting hot air into my car to get the temp up, then it warms up, the fans will adjust to a lower setting. It will even adjust where the air is coming from. It just won't use the A/C feature.

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=kokemon23 link=topic=66397.msg1166935#msg1166935 date=1169666263]
This is not true. The reason is that when I set the temp on the Auto climate then turn the A/C off, the fans will still adjust. So if it is blasting hot air into my car to get the temp up, then it warms up, the fans will adjust to a lower setting. It will even adjust where the air is coming from. It just won't use the A/C feature.
[/quote]

Yes it does still use the A/C. ANYTIME the floor, floor/defrost and defrost settings are used, the A/C is on. The car will not adjust the settings to anything besides defrost or floor/defrost.

·
Registered
329 Posts
[quote author=Boother link=topic=66397.msg1166994#msg1166994 date=1169667691]
[quote author=kokemon23 link=topic=66397.msg1166935#msg1166935 date=1169666263]
[/quote]

Yes it does still use the A/C. ANYTIME the floor, floor/defrost and defrost settings are used, the A/C is on. The car will not adjust the settings to anything besides defrost or floor/defrost.
[/quote]

Boother, when I turn off the A/C control, I can hear/feel the compressor stop working. There is an obvious difference when it is on or off. Also, if the interior of my car is fogged up and I have it on defrost with no A/C, the windows remained fogged. As soon as I turn the A/C on, the windshield clears up immediately. This leads me to believe that it is on or off.

I may be wrong here, but this is without a doubt how it works in my car. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=kokemon23 link=topic=66397.msg1167036#msg1167036 date=1169669202]
Boother, when I turn off the A/C control, I can hear/feel the compressor stop working. There is an obvious difference when it is on or off. Also, if the interior of my car is fogged up and I have it on defrost with no A/C, the windows remained fogged. As soon as I turn the A/C on, the windshield clears up immediately. This leads me to believe that it is on or off.

I may be wrong here, but this is without a doubt how it works in my car. Just my $0.02.
[/quote]

That is not how it works, go try it out on your car again. I just did on mine, and the A/C compressor definitely runs when floor, def/floor and defrost are selected regardless of the AC button. The manual also states this.

The A/C compressor might turn off when you deselect the AC button, but will turn back on very shortly as required.

Defrost without AC can easily still defrost a window in cold weather, just not as fast.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts