Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend I am going to be installing an new sub and mono channel amp to replace the stock bose sub. I also have a 4 channel amp that I eventually want to install and replace the speakers at that time. My thought was, that while I am installing the new mono amp I would like to go ahead and install the 4 channel amp as well. I am not ready though to replace my speakers. I understand I wont be getting the best sound possible because of this, but it would merely be to save time later.

Is there a problem with having a aftermarket amp power the stock speakers?

FYI the mono amp is the Alpine MRP-M500 and the 4 channel is the Alpine MRP-F250.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The only problem is its pointless. Your best bet is to install the mono amp with a distribution block so you dont have to run the power wire from the battery for the other amp. IMO amping the stock speakers would be like shooting yourself in the foot.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
While the Bose drivers are somewhat better than the absolutely execrable OEM non-bose drivers, they still are rather poor quality. Since they are 2-ohm, they may also cause problems with a lot of amps that designed for 4-ohm output.

Rather than two amps, for both front and rear, I would just amp the fronts and use the savings to buy some better speakers for the front. You can then just turn the rears off, you won't need them.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
They're a lot of amps that are 2-ohm stable. Like the one he mentioned
Anyway..

You would be better off driving better speakers on the BOSE amp, or even new speakers AND that amp.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
The problem with swapping out the amp but keeping the stock Bose speakers is that the Bose speakers themselves and the Bose amp are designed as a unit. The way Bose gets the sound quality they do out of the crap drivers they build is through heavy equalization and DSP...which is all done in the amp. Replace the amp, and you'll hear exactly how raw Bose drivers sound...which is crap. If you plan on replacing the door speakers eventually, I'd just install the 4-channel amp at that time.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any suggestions on how to run the power wire in a speed3? I know to use the grommet behind glovebox, but need some ideas about the engine bay routing. How to go around the heat shield.

Edit: Ended up routing it through the plastic at the top of the engine bay just below the weather stripping. Worked out great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts