Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they look about the same and they sound awful similar. are they the same exact design but one is just about twice as expensive as the other

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
no, 2 different companies. similar designs are common with exhausts.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh ok thanks guys

·
Registered
14,227 Posts
[quote author=ionorick link=topic=67653.msg1166650#msg1166650 date=1169657917]
I kinda think exhaust is exhaust. Your paying for brand name.
[/quote]

nope...sorry...what makes a stock g35 sound like a g35 is part in the exhaust. Certain brands have their own design on an exhaust to make a certain air flow and a certain note. Like how Merk and Johnson and Johnson have their own drugs. So a drug is a drug now?

·
Registered
887 Posts
[quote author=saluteTOme link=topic=67653.msg1166652#msg1166652 date=1169658078]
[/quote]

nope...sorry...what makes a stock g35 sound like a g35 is part in the exhaust. Certain brands have their own design on an exhaust to make a certain air flow and a certain note. Like how Merk and Johnson and Johnson have their own drugs. So a drug is a drug now?
[/quote]

2nd'd! I saw a show regarding the engineering/design that goes in to it. It can get pretty hardcore.
Saying exhaust is exhaust is like saying beer is beer....
:shock:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
[quote author=morpheen link=topic=67653.msg1166724#msg1166724 date=1169660073]
[quote author=saluteTOme link=topic=67653.msg1166652#msg1166652 date=1169658078]
[/quote]

[/quote]

2nd'd! I saw a show regarding the engineering/design that goes in to it. It can get pretty hardcore.
[/quote]
Uhm what are you saying by a stock g35 sound like a g35? Are you saying that if I stuck a G35 exhaust in my 3 it would sound like a g35? kinda vague in what your saying. Not to be rude or anything.

Hm maybe Id have to check out the show. What is it called?

In regards to my statement. All the 3's ive heared on the forums from the sound clips sound basically the same. give or take the sound quality and video. What may change the overall is the setup. iono blah blah blah exhaust is an exhaust. Spend more you get name for.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
the sound is definitely different with different companies. depends what you seek. mazdaspeed and ark are the lower sounding, vibrant and borla are in the middle, and magnaflow and hks are the louder end of the spectrum. these are my opinions however, some may disagree, but im sure many will agree. in person, i have personally heard the borla and vibrant. and both deliver a nice low grumble, without being too obnoxious at times.

·
Registered
14,227 Posts
I am not saying that. I am saying a g35 wouldn't sound like a g35 without the exhaust. another car wont sound like a g35 with only the exhaust...those cars would need to have the g35 engine too. However; infinity wanted the car to have a certain note. SO, they took the sound of the engine, what ever it might of been and then they took an exahust and started to change designs of an exhaust and doing different things until they hit a sound they were happy with. Each 3 exhaust does not sound that same at all...you need to listen to them in person to get the full effect. I've heard...4 different exhausts and none sound the same. Some very different then others.

·
Registered
887 Posts
[quote author=ionorick link=topic=67653.msg1169856#msg1169856 date=1169793072]
[quote author=morpheen link=topic=67653.msg1166724#msg1166724 date=1169660073]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Uhm what are you saying by a stock g35 sound like a g35? Are you saying that if I stuck a G35 exhaust in my 3 it would sound like a g35? kinda vague in what your saying. Not to be rude or anything.

Hm maybe Id have to check out the show. What is it called?

In regards to my statement. All the 3's ive heared on the forums from the sound clips sound basically the same. give or take the sound quality and video. What may change the overall is the setup. iono blah blah blah exhaust is an exhaust. Spend more you get name for.
[/quote]

MAN that's a lot of qouting.... :p
All I am saying is there will be a difference between exhausts notes, I am definitely not saying that sticking a G35 OEM exhaust on a Mazda 3 it will sound like a G35... that is ridiculous as they are entirely different. Just like anything else (hence the beer reference) different designs, materials, engineering will produce different results, subtle or not.

Are you saying that going to your local Canadian tire (or US equiv) and buying the el-cheapo no-name ricer exhaust will sound just like a Borla or Mazdaspeed? There is no way! A friend of mine has had 3 different exhaust systems with different combinations of brand, size, muffler style/type and each his car has different (for better or worse).

As for the show, can't rem 100%.. but I watch a lot of Discovery, TLC, Speed etc....

·
Registered
14,227 Posts
I just don't think ionorick is a car person cause that is basically as basic as it can be. Which, there is no problem if your not a car person, thats fine, but please don't chime in when you don't know what your talking about.

I don;t mean to sound like a dick btw.

As for mamock's original topic. It's hard to tell the difference on video maybe. But if you hear different exhaust in person, you can tell right away the differences and if you're good enough, you can tell which exhaust it is by the sound.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
what makes the car sound the way it does isn't just the exhaust. it's the engine too. if you could put the g35 exhaust on the 350z, they would sound pretty identical because they both have the vq35.

on cars with the same engine, different exhausts will sound similar but there are noticeable differences. whoever said the hks is loud hasn't heard it in person. i have the hks and it's one of the quietest at idle and deep while driving. i hear the borla, magnaflow, and vibrant every week at our mazda meets.

you have to hear the exhaust in person to compare. videos from different people and different cameras aren't reliable.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys for your imput

·
Registered
483 Posts
How would putting a borla exhaust on a 2.3 L mazda 3 compare with the stock exhaust on an rx-8...in terms of loudness?

·
Registered
611 Posts
8 should be quiter due to being a rotary I would think. Then again, ive never been blessed enough to get motivated and go test drive an RX8-- or actually be close to one thats turned on for that matter... : / I really need to make a trip to mazda when im in town next time. lol.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thats what i was thinking, a little more quiet. One of my friends has an rx-8...and just added an intake. I was just wondering about how loud the borla would be. I just dont want it to be annoying, droning, or too loud when im just driving around regularly inside and out...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts