Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start, this isn't a what brand should I get question.

I'm about to buy a boost gauge and I'm wondering if it's better to get one that has boost/vacuum readings. There's one I like that is only boost and I'm wondering how important the vacuum feature is. What it actually tells you about how the car is running.

·
Registered
361 Posts
just my opinion but i would definitely want to get a boost gauge that reads vacuum as well as boost

it's up to you though

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=the_caruch link=topic=135397.msg2914240#msg2914240 date=1233848014]
just my opinion but i would definitely want to get a boost gauge that reads vacuum as well as boost

it's up to you though
[/quote]

Why? What's the monitoring point of a vacuum gauge?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Monitoring vac is pretty helpful because it can help you understand how much load the engine is under at any given point. Can help w/ fuel economy because you can actually see if it's more efficient to be in 3rd or 4th when cruising, etc...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=135397.msg2914383#msg2914383 date=1233851489]
^ those are very helpful diagrams! thanks for posting the link.
[/quote]

No problem. I let out a big Homer Simpson "Woooo Hooo" when I found that page.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
It alleviated my concern that something was wrong because of how it goes to neutral manifold pressure for a second when coming off the line, even though AFR doesn't start getting richer then, like it does at the same pressure when actually accelerating... turns out that's totally normal :)

I do have a slight bit of vac pressure flutter at idle when the engine warms up, but it's not bad (warm it hovers between 18-20 vac, but when it's cold it stays steady at 20 vac). On decel during fuel cut it pegs at 24 vac. What's the idle vac like on an actual MS3?

I sometimes like trying to stay below 10 vac when putting around town, it makes the boringness of driving slow a little bit more entertaining, haha.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=aps11090 link=topic=135397.msg2914940#msg2914940 date=1233864427]
I don't think I ever realized they even made gauges that only went on boost and sat at 0 not showing vac lol
[/quote]

I've been doing a lot of research over the past few days trying to decide which one I want to get and a good number of the less expensive ones do only boost. Autometer has a few:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=135397.msg2915102#msg2915102 date=1233867675]
Don't cheap out on a gauge...
[/quote]

I'm not. I really wanted the Greddy V2 gauge but they are discontinued and everyone on Ebay wants and arm + Leg for them. It's either Defi Red Racer or Apexi EL for me. I was also thinking about Omori.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What about zietronix?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.