Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
i did my a-pillar mount boost gauge and i think it turned out nice. i was going to use double sided tape, but it was so thich it made the gauge pod stick out. so i ended up using self taping screws, i know all about the side curtains....i think it is fine. i took a pic.

i also took two vids this one is the third gear boost pattern from 2000rpm all the way to redline...it builds rather slowly to 15psi and stays until 5500 then it falls to 6psi by redline.

this vid is of a spike in fourth it jums to about 18 psi and holds at about 16. i did not hold it long...100 mph on a side road would not be a good idea !

i have seen spikes up to 20 psi in 4-5-6 gears ! it all depends on how the car feels. with a gauge i can now prove how irratic the boost is on this car.
sometimes it will spike to 20 and hold 16-17. other times it will only get up to 14 psi max,, in the same gear !!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
nice gauge... but I would have like to see those screws covered up by some caps. I think your positioning if fine fo rthe airbags. if you need them you probably won't be worried about anything more than surviving.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Nice. Keep us up to date if can with respect to patterns on the boost (or lack of boost) based on typical driving situations. What is the peak boost from dead stop on 1st @ or near redline? 2nd @ or near redline?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=peanutsparts link=topic=72392.msg1276710#msg1276710 date=1174330567]
Because of the curtains, yall think we can fit a duoble or even a triple pod on the MS3?
[/quote]No, best bet is if you dont have nav to put the triple pod there

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
[quote author=SachielDesign link=topic=72392.msg1277173#msg1277173 date=1174342822]
What say you to this!
I don't know why nobody wants to put pods on the a-pillar.

btw mine looks better than yours TRU-BOOST :D <3
[/quote]

because if ur airbags go off that is really dangerous...

i custom made one for my center console.......much safer because if im in an accident they wont fly off if the airbag deploys

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pleeeease explain to me why its dangerous. Why would mazda design the A-pillar to fly towards your face if it was deployed... The only reason i could see it being dangerous is if my head flew that far forward and i hit the pod...but thats just as dangerous as your steeringwheel or you rearview mirror theres all sorts of stuff you can hit your head on in the cabin thats closer than the pod. So that can't possibly be the reason why its 'dangerous'. The airbag comes downward (towards the driver) pushing the a-pillar towards the windshield....away from you. The a-pillar doesn't even become detached in the case of deployment, that would be hazardous. I just don't see why its dangerous so could someone please elaborate other than..."its dangerous", "the airbags deploy from there"...those aren't helpful

thanks in advance. :D :D :D

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
wow...u dont think too often...when that air bag deploys it basically is exploding with alot of foce....that pod is attached to the thing that pops off...it doesnt fly at your face but the pressure that forces the bag open and pillar out of the way can cause your gauges to fly out...not necessarily at your face but it could hit someone else int he car etc...

plus your car is slow :shock: haha im just playin...i like the speed3...but ya...i wouldnt put gauges up there...get some duraglass for 30$ online, a gauge pod for 45$ and cut the pod and mold it onto your stock ac panel and it will look oem instead of having screws and gauges in a spot near an airbag

plus safety aside...it doesnt look clean where you have it sachiel...you can tell it is a screwed on piece...if your going to do it that way cut the a-piller and duraglass it so its one fluid piece...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wanted it like that tho, i think it looks cool having it like i screwed on an extra piece, to each his own i suppose. The screws are about three inches down from where the airbag starts and i grinded down the screws a little so they aren't pointy =b

Besides i work in accident reconstruction and it is my 'professional' opinion that its not dangerous =D

can you post some pics of your actual finished product sir?

·
Registered
808 Posts
[quote [email protected] link=topic=72392.msg1277244#msg1277244 date=1174344960]
...get some duraglass for 30$ online, a gauge pod for 45$ and cut the pod and mold it onto your stock ac panel and it will look oem instead of having screws and gauges in a spot near an airbag
[/quote]

Or you could just buy a finished piece from Mattleegee: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=64584.120

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
thanks for the vids
interesting you are getting 14 in one vid and 17 in another
would be nice if it were consistent... some day... some day

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Why not on the A-pillar? Because the car is brand new and it makes you look like a ricer. The whole "oh man look at my cool 7 color voltmeter gauge" shit is like so 4 years ago. I dislike the pod look now. Everyone wants to race you when they see that crap there. The center console looks much sleeker and nice. Or stealth mount them glassed into the ashtray area or radio blank plate

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know im not ricer in my mind so it doesn't bother me...and as cool as that shit sounds...mine doesn't change to 7 different colors. Oh and its not a voltmeter, atleast i hope not :shock: and the a-pillar piece is cheaper than the center console piece if thats what you were reffering to with "the car is brand new"

^^talking out of my ass i just assumed its cheaper =D

I just find it funny no ones allowed to do something different than you (an ambiguous you, not actually YOU), were all friends here and all of our cars fucking kick ass. Let the ricers try and 'race' us if thats what you want to call it. Maybe they'll stop one day and we can all live in peace.

·
Registered
493 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=72392.msg1278040#msg1278040 date=1174368402]
Why not on the A-pillar? Because the car is brand new and it makes you look like a ricer. The whole "oh man look at my cool 7 color voltmeter gauge" shit is like so 4 years ago. I dislike the pod look now. Everyone wants to race you when they see that crap there. The center console looks much sleeker and nice. Or stealth mount them glassed into the ashtray area or radio blank plate
[/quote]

to tell you the truth.

when I got a trpile A-pillar installed on my turbo ZX2, people actually STOPPED wanning to race me. It was a relief! Nor did they change color, they did match my cluster gauges. I understand how U want thing to look more factory, but what about the turbo diesels with trple guage pillars? Are those rice then too?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Depends where you go I guess. I just don't like the idea of taking a new $26k car and slapping this big piece of plastic onto it, epecially an airbag. I get revved at to race by all the posers by me anyways, atleast now I can blow their doors off.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sach, not sure if you have ever had an airbag go off on you but it is a controlled explosion. Those panels are designed to break away so that you do not get hit. Not, the way you have that thing bolted over them is going to change how that explosion is controlled since you are essentially adding another point of resistance. This may or may not mean you will get hit in the face or head but do not expect that pod to stay where it is and do not expect that airbag to deploy as it was designed. You can put that guage anywhere you want but you need to ask yourself do you want to take the chance of furthering your injuries if you are ever in an accident.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just to clear things up...i talked to my local mazda tech before i did the install.
the pillar does NOT fly off and become a dangerous projectile !
it basically pivots on the upper section and flips up.
it may smack the gauge against the windshield, but thats all.
mounting position is personal preferance...thats all. i dont want 3 gauges so the tripple center mount set up is not for me.
the on the steering wheel set up is just a bad spot for me, i like the pillar set up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts