Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CWP MS3 got dented up in a parking lot by an unidentified vehicular assailant (#[email protected]#$), brought it to a local body shop through Geico, with their 100% satisfaction guarantee. Went to pick it up today, the paint looks awful. The damage was on the rear door and side panel, so they painted both completely, and the match is not even close to factory. Color is too white, and the finish is much more "dimpled" than the factory finish. Basically, it looks terrible. They are redoing it, but I'm fearful that nothing will be different -- aka if they messed it up once, why would they do it right a second time?

Any tips/advice on things I should tell them, what I should expect (should it be possible to get back to a factory finish?), anything special about the CWP finish, etc.? Anyone else with a CWP got any advice? They did a three coat pearl job, and its nice and white, its just not the same as the factory finish at all, either in color or texture. This on top of the fact that they covered the interior with paint/filler dust; total mess. My only hope is that the insurance company will help me get a decent job via the lifetime guarantee (why I went to this particular body shop in the first place, as its in their affiliate network).

Harumph.

W

·
Registered
506 Posts
the dimples are called orangepeel, and is the result of insufficient sanding/buffing before adding clearcoat.

The fact that they got the color wrong, didn't sand/buff, and left interior dust shows complete apathy and inattention to detail. Complain to geico?

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
they should also have blended the newly painted panels with the adjacent ones...
how much was the paint job, btw?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure how much it was (all insurance covered, and haven't done final pickup yet -- they are redoing it). What they did on the rear panel (quarterpanel) was paint it to the edge, you can see the paint line where they taped it just inside the door frame -- not feathered or faded in or anything. In other words, there is a line where the new paint stops, inside the door frame so its not visible unless the door is open, but when it is, its totally obvious. All in all it seems like a really crappy job. I am no paint expert but my assumption is that a professional body shop, especially one that is in geico's satisfaction gauranteed network, should be able to make the job look like factory and basically match and blend it perfectly. This isn't even close. The Geico experience in terms of their reps, the rental, etc., has been awesome, btw, so am hoping they will continue to be great helping me through getting this sorted out. Now I am just nervous that I need to get it out of this shop before they just mess the car up completely...

·
Registered
879 Posts
you get what you pay for in terms of policies.

Geico spends more time on lizards and cavemen than paying their shops

·
Registered
358 Posts
[quote author=bulletcatcher829 link=topic=140196.msg3022249#msg3022249 date=1238200218]
the dimples are called orangepeel, and is the result of insufficient sanding/buffing before adding clearcoat.

The fact that they got the color wrong, didn't sand/buff, and left interior dust shows complete apathy and inattention to detail. Complain to geico?
[/quote]

Orangepeel can be a number of things

Here is the info from Wikipedia.

Orange peel is a certain kind of finish that may develop on painted surfaces and cast surfaces.[1] The texture resembles the bumpy surface of the skin of an orange (fruit) hence the name.

Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.

In some situations, such as interior house paint, the orange peel texture is generally desirable. In this case, a texture paint is generally applied with a spray gun. The texture is then painted over with the appropriate color. When painting walls, orange peel can also develop by using a roller with too little paint or too thick a paint and the surface dries before the texture can level.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My GG sedan was repainted 3 times and at two different dealerships at my request due to the inability to get the paint to match perfectly. It's dead on now. It has a slight bit of orange peel but so does the factory painted side so its cool with me. Before the third paint job, I had them measure the mils thickness on the paint and they took it down to the proper level to match the rest of the vehicle. I didn't want thicker paint on one half of my car. A good shop will do that for you. Four months later, I am satisfied with the paint job. :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
[quote author=willmeyer link=topic=140196.msg3022188#msg3022188 date=1238197219]
My CWP MS3 got dented up in a parking lot by an unidentified vehicular assailant (#[email protected]#$), brought it to a local body shop through Geico, with their 100% satisfaction guarantee. Went to pick it up today, the paint looks awful. The damage was on the rear door and side panel, so they painted both completely, and the match is not even close to factory. Color is too white, and the finish is much more "dimpled" than the factory finish. Basically, it looks terrible. They are redoing it, but I'm fearful that nothing will be different -- aka if they messed it up once, why would they do it right a second time?

Any tips/advice on things I should tell them, what I should expect (should it be possible to get back to a factory finish?), anything special about the CWP finish, etc.? Anyone else with a CWP got any advice? They did a three coat pearl job, and its nice and white, its just not the same as the factory finish at all, either in color or texture. This on top of the fact that they covered the interior with paint/filler dust; total mess. My only hope is that the insurance company will help me get a decent job via the lifetime guarantee (why I went to this particular body shop in the first place, as its in their affiliate network).

Harumph.

W
[/quote]
Well, I see two problems here created by Geico. First, the shops that they consider "guaranteed" basically agreed to accept a lesser payment from Geico in return for Geico reffering business to them, saving Geico some money and, of course, pressuring the shop to get the job done quickly as they are not making all that much on it. The second problem is that you expected the interior of the door painted but unless that is specified and paid for, it normally does not get done (unless you are changing colors completely) again due to cost. My family has a body shop so I have gotten to hear first hand how the insurance companies screw their customers and the body shop wherever they can.

Now, I have Geico too and I pay for full glass coverage. Recently, something flew off the road and hit my hood and my windshield. The hood, I am taking care of myself but I expected my windshield to be replaced. Well, they told me since the crack is shorter than a dollar bill, they would pay for repair instead of replacement - the cheaper method. In short, Geico does you no favors, they pay the "lowest bidder" so to speak and send you to them. Next time, I suggest finding a reputable shop in your area and taking the car straight to them and Geico can send someone there once the shop does the estimate. Any decent shop guarantees their own work.

·
Registered
879 Posts
[quote author=TiocfaidhÁrLá link=topic=140196.msg3029193#msg3029193 date=1238511784]

Now, I have Geico too and I pay for full glass coverage. Recently, something flew off the road and hit my hood and my windshield. The hood, I am taking care of myself but I expected my windshield to be replaced. Well, they told me since the crack is shorter than a dollar bill, they would pay for repair instead of replacement - the cheaper method. In short, Geico does you no favors, they pay the "lowest bidder" so to speak and send you to them. Next time, I suggest finding a reputable shop in your area and taking the car straight to them and Geico can send someone there once the shop does the estimate. Any decent shop guarantees their own work.
[/quote]here if there is a certain number of chips tis replaced. But yes, if its under the size of a dollar, it gets filled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts