Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It hit me just tonight.

How much work, would it take to retrofit a BMW (or any other make) factory OEM HID onto the Mz3 that is not equipped with HID's (I'm referring to the Canadian version specifically)?

I was thinking us HID-less folks can hit up the local wreckers to pick up a set of used HID's.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm....perhaps I just take the ballast, wiring, and bulb from those cars and hook it up?

I'm not just referring to BMW's.....cars like Acuras, Lexus', or any other brand that offers HID's on their cars....and them I'd salvage them from the wrecker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,756 Posts
There will be extensive work to level them correctly.

On the VW forums, there were 2 guys that were set on doing it with a set of A6 HIDs. They used everything: ballast, ignitor, projector and the levelers (auto btw... lucky bastards:D).

It looked good from the outside. But looking at some of the install pics, it looked like hell. Wood and silicone galore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
a_kaup said:
They (BMW) use the D2S bulb which wont work well, you need a nicely aligned H7 converted D2S bulb.
Here in the US, the Mazda 3 uses the D2S bulb for the HIDs, so why wouldn't the BMW DS2 bulb not work well?

Spencer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Because the non HID cars have H7 bulbs not D2S. The D2S wont fit.
I believe the issue at hand here is modifying a non xenon equipped Mazda 3 to run HID's in Canada for example where xenon is not an option.

You can use a machined ring to make it fit but then the bulb alignment is off reducing light output / increasing scatter. When you take a D2S bulb, remove the capsule and add a molded plastic H7 base it can be re-aligned for use in the specfic projector system which is what the good aftermarket HID companies do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
a bit more easy but cost a bit is buy a set of headlight with projector then add an HID is quick also eliminate the glare produced by the reflector
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
a_kaup said:
Because the non HID cars have H7 bulbs not D2S. The D2S wont fit.
I believe the issue at hand here is modifying a non xenon equipped Mazda 3 to run HID's in Canada for example where xenon is not an option.

You can use a machined ring to make it fit but then the bulb alignment is off reducing light output / increasing scatter. When you take a D2S bulb, remove the capsule and add a molded plastic H7 base it can be re-aligned for use in the specfic projector system which is what the good aftermarket HID companies do.
Hey a_kaup,

On a side note...I know in the manual that it states we cannot change the HID bulbs and the dealership has to. Why is it so difficult to change out the bulbs? Is it due to space constraints or something?

Spencer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,756 Posts
overkast said:
a_kaup said:
Because the non HID cars have H7 bulbs not D2S. The D2S wont fit.
I believe the issue at hand here is modifying a non xenon equipped Mazda 3 to run HID's in Canada for example where xenon is not an option.

You can use a machined ring to make it fit but then the bulb alignment is off reducing light output / increasing scatter. When you take a D2S bulb, remove the capsule and add a molded plastic H7 base it can be re-aligned for use in the specfic projector system which is what the good aftermarket HID companies do.
Hey a_kaup,

On a side note...I know in the manual that it states we cannot change the HID bulbs and the dealership has to. Why is it so difficult to change out the bulbs? Is it due to space constraints or something?

Spencer
I would guess an expense thing. Each bulb is typically $80-125.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Its probably due to a number of reasons.

One is they dont want you to adjust the beam which can be thrown off when removing and installing. The other is that there is a decent amount of work to do in order to get to the housing which 95% of the owners wont feel comfortable doing. Finally the ballast can shock the bejeezus out of you if not handled properly...a simple bulb swap is going to be fine - no danger - but they throw that in the manual for liability reasons.

Finally - the dealer just wants 3 hrs labor at your cost to replace it! The dealer probably will want $150 per bulb but you can find them online for $125 easy enough, perhaps cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
so you're saying if i'm going to need to replace the xenons at some point it's going to cost like 300 a bulb with parts and labor? wow, that really makes me reconsider getting that option
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
a_kaup said:
Its probably due to a number of reasons.

One is they dont want you to adjust the beam which can be thrown off when removing and installing. The other is that there is a decent amount of work to do in order to get to the housing which 95% of the owners wont feel comfortable doing. Finally the ballast can shock the bejeezus out of you if not handled properly...a simple bulb swap is going to be fine - no danger - but they throw that in the manual for liability reasons.

Finally - the dealer just wants 3 hrs labor at your cost to replace it! The dealer probably will want $150 per bulb but you can find them online for $125 easy enough, perhaps cheaper.
3 hours to install?? Holy [email protected]#$^! My dealer charges $80/hr for labor...that's hella expensive. Hopefully these Xenon bulbs will last the life of the vehicle as advertised.

Spencer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,756 Posts
Ive installed a few sets of retro-HID kits before and I know about the shock. Omg... hits as hard as 110w in your home outlet.

If you were to replace the bulbs on your own, it would be wise to remove the whole housing to avoid 1) shock 2) alignment 3) damaging the new bulb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
IMPORTANT, would be wise to disconnect battery first - before any other step. Actually this is good practice for working on any engine mods...not fun with the wrench falls and connects the terminals :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
a_kaup said:
Chances are the HID bulb will last for 6+ years however with lots of use. Dont let that prevent you from ordering HID's because they are awesome.
Will the HID bulbs degrade with time like regular halogens? And when they do...is it really noticable? Does it become yellow looking or keep its blue color tone?

Spencer
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top