Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, so this was kind of bad timing. This is my girlfriend's 2006 MZ3, with almost 90k miles. I was planning on lowering the car with Prokit springs and upgrading the shocks at the same time, next year. The thing is we don't have the money to do all of that right now. Last week, I noticed the front right shock is leaking fluid all over the garage floor.

Question is do you think this is a good idea: Replace the front 2 shocks with Koni yellows for now to get rid of the blown shock. Then, 10-12 months down the road, put Koni yellows on the rear to as well as the Prokit springs. I'm not too concerned with performance of the shocks I put on right now, but I'd like something that will last after the car is lowered. It seems like I would only pay an extra $100 or so for the better shocks right now, which I'm ok with.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I see a lot more buyers in there than sellers, unfortunately.

Also, if I get used stock ones, I would still have to replace pretty soon after I lowered the car, right?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Are you positive the strut is leaking? Because the passenger side motor mount is located in the right-front area too, and that can leak a similar oily fluid when it kicks the bucket.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure it is the strut. I pulled the wheel off and it looks like the oil is coming out from the 2 halves where one slides over the other. It's really thin oil and it's dripping down into the inside of the wheel.

Is there something I could check to be positive it's not the motor mount?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Ok, if it's on the strut, it's definitely the strut. It would appear on the ground under the car next to the wheel if it were the mount. Just wanted to be sure that wasn't it before you bought new shocks before needing them, but sounds like you do :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for making sure.

So, I should be ok with the Koni yellows with stock springs and then eventually the Prokits?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yeah totally, just set the yellows on or near full soft for the stock springs, then somewhere around 50% when you put the prokit on later ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts