Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im starting to worry about blowing a rod out of the side of my engine. so i want to build it befor it blows. as im not new to bolt-ons i am a noob to building engines. so i know i need rods pistons and stuff but what else. which ones. i have no clue really where to start or which way to head and im not ashamed to asked. so please any help would be great.... THANKS

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Can't tell but from your pic it looks like you're in a regular 3?

Maybe tell everybody what you're working with so far to help get things rolling? Also, what's your end goal for the car, power/drivability?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that pic is my 2005 mazda3 which i wrecked last year now i have a 2008.5 mazdaspeed

mods..
cobb fmic
cp-e dp/bce
cp-e nano
pg fuel pump internals
cobb ap v1.03 maps

im about to get the cp-e turbo inlet and would like to upgrade turbo(reworked)

im looking to get 300-350 whp daily/weekend driver(i have other cars)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Cool, well that should be more than enough info to get the ball rolling for the knowledgable guys in here.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=134571.msg2892768#msg2892768 date=1233033441]
:dur:
[/quote]

?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
You do not have enough mods to worry about blowing your engine. If you are that wprried about it...waste your money and build it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Blown engine? With a few bolt ons? :lol:

Now, if you had a MBC cranked up, maybe. ^^^What he said^^^

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
[quote author=Truredspeed3 link=topic=134571.msg2893196#msg2893196 date=1233067057]
You do not have enough mods to worry about blowing your engine. If you are that wprried about it...waste your money and build it.
[/quote]

+1

If you have the stock turbo...i think its pretty much impossible to get enough power to actually blow it (unless of course u have a shitty tune...or try to run 30 psi :shock:).

I wouldnt be worried unless you put on a aftermarket turbo

·
Registered
180 Posts
[quote author=Truredspeed3 link=topic=134571.msg2893196#msg2893196 date=1233067057]
[/quote] He can definitely blow his engine with those mods.

I\'m surprised you dont have any type of WI setup on that car.

Meth saves lives. Get it asap.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well, you are definitely smart for having the fuel pump internals if you are worried about blowing your engine. If you didn't have an upgraded fuel pump you would be more at risk. But since you do, you are better protected. You are fine dude, really.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what is the best meth kit out there. i have been trying to look it up for a while on this forums and others but cant find any good how-to. how good does it work. how do i control it if i use a cobb ap

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with some of the guys here. A lot of the motors I hear about blowing are on stock turbos, running 20 psi and even have meth injection. Boom.

Fact is, the rods in this engine are weak. At a bare minimum, I would replace the rods. I haven't heard of anyone blowing a piston, or bending any valves, but I have heard many, many, many people throwing rods. Also, a lot of people blowing their motors as of late are using the AP v1.03 maps. Unless you live in Portland or can have your AP custom tuned by these guys: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=130069.0, you are kind of SOL when it comes to a custom tune for the AP.

I would say for your power levels, keep what you have but get, at a bare minimum, a GT2871, forged rods, and sell the AP for a CPE standback PnP. For now the AP is just not the tool to go with to get reliable power.

I say get the GT2871 because it will spool the slightest bit later than the stock turbo, but will give you a lot more top end without running out of efficiency like the stock turbo does at 20 psi. Seriously, if you want a reliable 350 to the wheels, stock turbo, or even a clipped stock turbo, is just not the way to do it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
[quote author=VTEC_EATER link=topic=134571.msg2894719#msg2894719 date=1233107047]
I'm going to have to disagree with some of the guys here. A lot of the motors I hear about blowing are on stock turbos, running 20 psi and even have meth injection. Boom.[/quote]

There's the problem.

[quote author=VTEC_EATER link=topic=134571.msg2894719#msg2894719 date=1233107047]
Fact is, the rods in this engine are weak. At a bare minimum, I would replace the rods. I haven't heard of anyone blowing a piston, or bending any valves, but I have heard many, many, many people throwing rods. Also, a lot of people blowing their motors as of late are using the AP v1.03 maps.[/quote]

Where are all these people?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with some of the guys here. A lot of the motors I hear about blowing are on stock turbos, running 20 psi and even have meth injection. Boom.

Fact is, the rods in this engine are weak. At a bare minimum, I would replace the rods. I haven't heard of anyone blowing a piston, or bending any valves, but I have heard many, many, many people throwing rods. Also, a lot of people blowing their motors as of late are using the AP v1.03 maps. Unless you live in Portland or can have your AP custom tuned by these guys: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=130069.0, you are kind of SOL when it comes to a custom tune for the AP.

I would say for your power levels, keep what you have but get, at a bare minimum, a GT2871, forged rods, and sell the AP for a CPE standback PnP. For now the AP is just not the tool to go with to get reliable power.

I say get the GT2871 because it will spool the slightest bit later than the stock turbo, but will give you a lot more top end without running out of efficiency like the stock turbo does at 20 psi. Seriously, if you want a reliable 350 to the wheels, stock turbo, or even a clipped stock turbo, is just not the way to do it.
[/quote]

Interesting. I've been on this forum for about a year and I have never heard of either of your claims making someone blow an engine.

I've never heard of someone blowing their engine on the stock turbo simply because they ran 20-21 psi. Frankly...I don't recall anyone blowing on stock turbo (i could be wrong). All the claims I've heard are people strapping upgraded turbos...and either getting to much power (350-400ish whp)...or getting boost creep into the mid-high 20s.

And I have NEVER heard of someone blowing their engine because of ANY of Cobb's AP tunes. I'm sure there would have been a huge discussion on it if this really happend.

·
Registered
180 Posts
[quote author=CraZyItalian041 link=topic=134571.msg2894889#msg2894889 date=1233112391]
ive been on this board 4 years and the other for a while and havent herd of anyone with meth blowing... hell laloosh and phil both ran 20+ psi with meth without an issue.
[/quote] Agreed. I have yet to hear about a blown engine with meth, VTEC_EATER please be quiet.

·
Registered
994 Posts
although it seems heavy weighted towards upgraded turbos blowing there is speed_3 on the mazda speed forums . org that blew with BOTH AP and meth a few days ago.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts