Mazda3 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
[quote author=SP33DING link=topic=80641.msg3369118#msg3369118 date=1255532899]
When i was researching my MS3 before purchase, I came across a video that compared the WHP levels of a stock Speed 3 versus one with the Synapse Synchronic BOV. They claimed the stock BPV leaks from the factory and a simple upgrade to the Synapse BOV netted a significant WHP increase. Is this true?? Or just a marketing ploy??
[/quote]

It's true when compared against a leaky BPV. However, one cannot just assume that their BPV is leaky. If your BPV is fully intact, it should be holding factory levels boost with no issue.

It's when people want to raise boost that a non-oem bpv is recommended.

With that said, we've been working on a clients Mazdaspeed3 this week. He put down 308 whp and 343 wtq on Shawn Churchs dyno with only a CP-E Cold Air Intake and CP-E Catless DP running the STOCK bypass valve. We should be posting up pics and vids soon.

You guys are welcome to add us on facebook, just look up "Treble Racing"

·
Registered
277 Posts
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=80641.msg3369910#msg3369910 date=1255561203]
When i was researching my MS3 before purchase, I came across a video that compared the WHP levels of a stock Speed 3 versus one with the Synapse Synchronic BOV. They claimed the stock BPV leaks from the factory and a simple upgrade to the Synapse BOV netted a significant WHP increase. Is this true?? Or just a marketing ploy??
[/quote]

It's true when compared against a leaky BPV. However, one cannot just assume that their BPV is leaky. If your BPV is fully intact, it should be holding factory levels boost with no issue.

With that said, we've been working on a clients Mazdaspeed3 this week. He put down 308 whp and 343 wtq on Shawn Churchs dyno with only a CP-E Cold Air Intake and CP-E Catless DP running the STOCK bypass valve. We should be posting up pics and vids soon.

[/quote]
only mods were intake and dp?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
[quote author=bf360 link=topic=80641.msg3370384#msg3370384 date=1255583154]
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=80641.msg3369910#msg3369910 date=1255561203]
[/quote]

[/quote]
only mods were intake and dp?
[/quote]

Yes, Sir! Aside from Shawn tuning the car, the only parts swapped are the intake and downpipe.

·
Registered
277 Posts
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=80641.msg3373524#msg3373524 date=1255761817]
[quote author=bf360 link=topic=80641.msg3371079#msg3371079 date=1255634110]
wait it was tuned? using what?
[/quote]
AccessPORT.
[/quote]
at how much boost?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Just a side note on the Synapse Synchronic BOV today i took apart my BOV because i was suffering from the BOV staying open ** sticking if you will** and so i thought it may be something stuck in the Boost lines, no not the case it was actually the preload spring inside the BOV that went , basically it just snapped in half. Now the trouble is i have to wait for another spring from the company so that i can get back to boosting at 18psi instead of a measly 14.4psi. Just thought i'd throw my experience out there to everyone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I could scan in the directions and send them over to you, it is not as easy as you think but still not too bad either. The hardest part is taking the hks apart without stripping the nuts so that you can reset the mounting angle to allow for a fit. Let me know if you want that install sent over. Do you have the adapter to fit the hks to the speed3? it is not a bolt on part and you will need a good set of snap ring pliers not a cheap set that takes all night trust me I did this from experience.

[quote author=Cr5sh link=topic=80641.msg3421193#msg3421193 date=1258499907]
I guess i am just retarted but i need help installing my BOV HKS cant find how to
[/quote]

·
Registered
198 Posts
When you let off the throttle, the turbo is in the way of air flow so the air bounces off the vains of the compressor wheel. That is the noise you are hearing and it is harmless.

Surge is at WOT and is audibly noticable like air buffeting around inside the intake, this is not what you are hearing.

Dont worry you're fine.
The whole point of a bypass/diverter/bov IS to eliminate that!
When that air slams off the compressor wheel it presses it very hard against the thrust bearing in the turbo, wearing it out faster and in severe cases it can snap the compressor shaft and destroy the turbo (and possible the motor if it sucks in broken turbo parts.

A tightly set BOV will flutter a bit, and this is the trade off you make to allow the valve hold higher boost without leaking. It's not better than a valve that doesn't flutter, and it's not completely harmless (although, it's less harmful in a ball bearing turbo than it is in a journal bearing turbo, like ours). You should have the bov set as lightly as you can without allowing it to leak boost. Keep in mind, the spring pressure isn't all that hols it shut under boost, you also have manifold pressure acting on the diaphragm to hold it shut. Since the diaphragm is usually larger in surface area than the exposed piston face, the pressure actually works to hold the valve shut all by itself. The spring doesn't actually have to do all that much work to keep the valve shut under boost. That is, unless you have the lower nipple on the bov (as in the greddy type-S fast acting hookup) hooked to UICP boost pressure, then the spring needs to do all the work itself and requires substantially more spring pressure to hold full boost pressure. If you hook up an electronic solenoid to supply boost pressure to this lower nipple only when you let off the throttle sharply, you can run low spring pressure and still have a fast acting bov. If it's set to recirc, it should be slightly open at idle (just like the stock valve). If it's set VTA, it should be closed at idle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone tried fitting up a turbonetics Raptor bov?

Got one sitting around from a 350z turbo kit. I'm fairly certain it won't bolt right up, and I'd need an adapter on the outlet for the recirc line, but DAMN the raptor sounds good......might be worth the effort....

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
[/quote]

[/quote]

That is a redunculous amount of power with just a CAI and a DP...

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've taken a 3 year off from modding my MS3 but now, I'm itching to work on it again... One of my concern is the BOV/BPV/Hybrid. According to the one of the mod thread, I should replace my stock BPV to something other than stock. Currently, there's just way too many options out there. I know for sure I dont want to buy BOV... That said can anyone help me decide which one to get? Full BPV or Hybrid? If so, which brand?

I only have test pipe and ms cai. To complete stage 1, I'll need to replace my valve. So far, turbo xs hybrid and turbosmart dual port. I also read about turbosmart bpv... I just want something realiable than stock with a little performance gain. I dont care about the sound being loud or quiet.

Please advice. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
You'll get no performance gain from replacing your BPV. The stock BPV is good for stock level boost. So unless you know for sure you're boosting higher than ~15.6psi, there's no point in upgrading the stock BPV.

But if you must, it really just comes down to brand preference and the way they sound. Youtube them and you'll get an idea of which sound you'll like most.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thank you.

I have seen youtube and heard how most of their sounds, but I dont care much for it. I just read thru this site and other's that I should replace my stock just because of it being plastic and such... but if it is fine for what I currently have, then there's really no point of investing into one.

Thanks again!

121 - 140 of 147 Posts